The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

the monochrom - CCD vs CMOS

D&A

Still waiting for mine to come back from Leica. Then I look forward to posting. Keep em coming.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

I hear anyone sending one in now could take 5 months. Hope that's not your case.
No, mine has been with them for close to 6 months at this point. From what I hear, a new batch of sensors has either just arrived or on their way. I do hope so!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

bensonga

I sent my Sony A7 to Daniel Morrison at Monochromeimaging.com for a monochrome sensor conversion on Friday. I expect the converted camera will be finished in 7-10 days (if not sooner) and on its way to Alaska.

Yes I know...it will not be a Leica M Monochrom (whether CCD or CMOS), but for a very long time I have wanted to try a monochrome digital sensor camera. I am thankful that I can finally give this a try and at a lower cost than I would have paid for a M Monochrom or M246.

I want to thank Vivek for sharing a link to Daniel's website and his own images on Flickr which were taken with a Morrison converted A7rII. Also to Daniel Morrison who has been so helpful and responsive in my quest for a monochrome sensor camera.

We are fortunate now to have at least a few affordable choices for monochrome sensor cameras.

Gary

V

Vivek

In principle he could do it. However, it would be advisable to get a CMOS sensored camera with live view to be converted to monochrome. FWIW, I now have a very thin fused silica (Quartz) glass cover on my A7rII(m).

The coverglass of the sensor is taken off to remove the Bayer dyes. This means total readjustment of the focal plane. It is best done to a CMOS sensor with live view focus than a RF camera or a DSLR.

You should have made use of the A7rIII you bought to do this (Daniel has already done an A7rIII). You can still get another one and get it done. Additional advantage for you here is the built in sensor stabilisation unit acting as the dust shaker as well! ;)

Wonder if this conversion company has done a CCD S006?

algrove

In principle he could do it. However, it would be advisable to get a CMOS sensored camera with live view to be converted to monochrome. FWIW, I now have a very thin fused silica (Quartz) glass cover on my A7rII(m).

The coverglass of the sensor is taken off to remove the Bayer dyes. This means total readjustment of the focal plane. It is best done to a CMOS sensor with live view focus than a RF camera or a DSLR.

You should have made use of the A7rIII you bought to do this (Daniel has already done an A7rIII). You can still get another one and get it done. Additional advantage for you here is the built in sensor stabilisation unit acting as the dust shaker as well! ;)
Thanks. So once the S008 comes out and S007 prices fall even more then that has possibilities. Way less initial cost for a monochrom camera body excluding of course the pricey S lenses. But for those that have S lenses this could be interesting.

The Sony did not suit me for a seond time.

asiafish

Hi There, I have one as well, lovely camera.
I’m only chipping in here as Vivek is scare mongering.
The sensor may be fine (some are, and it depends on lots of factors).
If it does develop the lurgi, then Leica will replace it for €980 - including a service (see the link above). . . Unless it’s less than 5 years old, in which case they’ll replace it for free.

The M9 and MM hold their value really well, and as far as I’m aware Leica are planning to carry on with this replacement for the foreseeable future.

Enjoy the camera (it’s great)
Best
Jono
I missed my original M Monochrom that I just bought another one (with the upgraded cover glass). Now I'm in Leica heaven again as this remains, by far, my favorite digital camera.

jdphoto

When I owned the M9, I was always impressed with the character of the Leica. Now with the original M monochrom, I have an affinity towards the CCD. There's something incredibly liberating about exposing with only luminance levels to consider. Obviously subjective, but every photo takes on a "Fine Art" quality in subjects I wouldn't normally photograph. I'm more disciplined as a photographer and that's helped me understand the fundamentals better too. It's also a great camera to squelch gas. Here's a few pics taken with the M monochrom (CCD) and either the 28mm Elmarit or 50mm Lux pre ASPH.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
When I owned the M9, I was always impressed with the character of the Leica. Now with the original M monochrom, I have an affinity towards the CCD. There's something incredibly liberating about exposing with only luminance levels to consider. Obviously subjective, but every photo takes on a "Fine Art" quality in subjects I wouldn't normally photograph. I'm more disciplined as a photographer and that's helped me understand the fundamentals better too. It's also a great camera to squelch gas. Here's a few pics taken with the M monochrom (CCD) and either the 28mm Elmarit or 50mm Lux pre ASPH.
I love the horse and sheep image. :thumbup:

airfrogusmc

Just had a show come down July 1 and all the images in the exhibit were shot with the original MM. Also released a book and all but 3 of the 89 images in the book were shot with the MM. The sensor has been replaced. I am not a fan of Sony or Fuji and that is subjective but those cameras are not the much different from all the other camera's on the market Nice that Leica is a real alternative.

The show came down at the end of June and we sold all the books I had brought and I brought more than I thought i would ever sell at the opening and sold these 4 prints.

Thanks everyone here for your encouragement and thank you to those that attended the opening or stopped by while the exhibit was up.

JohnBrew

Congrats, Allen. You have inspired me no end with your fabulous street photography. I shot the MM when it came out and was impressed. At the time I felt that for landscape, my M8 conversions did better - the tonality seemed more to my liking. Probably more down to my style of conversion than anything else.

airfrogusmc

Congrats, Allen. You have inspired me no end with your fabulous street photography. I shot the MM when it came out and was impressed. At the time I felt that for landscape, my M8 conversions did better - the tonality seemed more to my liking. Probably more down to my style of conversion than anything else.
Thanks. I have an M-E but I have never shot with an M8. The MM is the only B&W digital that I have warmed up to. The conversions from the M 10 are good but I still prefer the MM for B&W even though the M 10 has better low light performance and better DR. It is all bit suggestive and really boils down to what works best for each of us. The important thing is we are getting what we need to get form the tools we are using.

airfrogusmc

Just had a show come down July 1 and all the images in the exhibit were shot with the original MM. Also released a book and all but 3 of the 89 images in the book were shot with the MM. The sensor has been replaced. I am not a fan of Sony or Fuji and that is subjective but those cameras are not the much different from all the other camera's on the market Nice that Leica is a real alternative.

The show came down at the end of June and we sold all the books I had brought and I brought more than I thought i would ever sell at the opening and sold these 4 prints.

Thanks everyone here for your encouragement and thank you to those that attended the opening or stopped by while the exhibit was up.
Books are available here
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/7422728/9d0ffec0d564c0a99339c7d3c8fc84c6a747cb81