The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Determining the health of a camera battery

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
This may seem like over kill but having several different Leica and Nikon systems ...I have a real collection of camera batteries . Had I dated each when putting them in service I could just discard the old ones ..but I didn t . Has anyone found a technique to evaluate a camera battery . I know the Nikon D5 for example will display the battery health but I know of nothing that works with leica batteries .

V

Vivek

It is never too late. You can start putting a little dot sticker to every new battery you buy and number it. This is something I picked up from Bart ("Knorp"). He is quite organised. :)

With the old ones (Unnumbered), I usually look at the charging/discharging behaviour. If a battery is losing charge too quickly (again, attach a sticker now and verify it does), it is quarantined. I never go out with those batteries again.

Satrycon

simple...and not expensive...

Nitecore ULM240 Travel Battery Charger for Leica M240 Series Camera Batteries

Nitecore ULM9 USB Digital Charger for Leica M9 Series BLI-312 Batteries

Nitecore ULQ Leica Digital USB Travel Battery Charger for Leica Q Series (BP-DC12) Camera Batteries

Nitecore UNK1 Nikon Battery Travel Charger

Real-time information on battery voltage, charging current, battery temperature, battery level and other parameters
Monitors battery status and displays battery health
Reverse polarity protection and anti-short circuit protection
Automatic adoption for the optimal charging modes between CC and CV
Automatic termination upon charging completion
Activates over-discharged batteries with protective circuits
Compatible with power banks and solar panels
Made from durable and fire retardant PC and ABS (V0) materials
Optimal heat dissipation design

This may seem like over kill but having several different Leica and Nikon systems ...I have a real collection of camera batteries . Had I dated each when putting them in service I could just discard the old ones ..but I didn t . Has anyone found a technique to evaluate a camera battery . I know the Nikon D5 for example will display the battery health but I know of nothing that works with leica batteries .

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The Nitecore appears to be a decent solution and its inexpensive ($25 on eBay) . In my case they do make chargers for my Leica MONO (M9) ,Leica SL and Nikon D750/850. Nothing for the newer M10 battery . I should receive the chargers on Monday .

This is more relevant for Leica owners of the newer cameras that use EVF ....the Leica M10 with the EVF and the Leica SL go thru a battery charge in a few hours of shooting . The batteries are expensive $250 for an SL battery and require charging after almost every shoot .

The Nikon batteries are more of an irritation (they are inexpensive around $70) but believing you have a few charged batteries and finding them dead after an hour is no fun. This will help me pitch the old ones rather than finding out while shooting .

Thanks all that replied ..helpful .....any other solutions ?

Godfrey

Thanks for the note on the SL version. I'll order one!

...This is more relevant for Leica owners of the newer cameras that use EVF ....the Leica M10 with the EVF and the Leica SL go thru a battery charge in a few hours of shooting . The batteries are expensive $250 for an SL battery and require charging after almost every shoot . ...
Hmm. Not really my experience with the SL. What I've found with the SL is that its power consumption is extremely dependent on exactly how you work with it. My current usage seems to run about 500-700 exposures per charge, which is just about the same as what my M-D gets with no LCD, EVF, or other high power consuming stuff. My usual session is more like 100 exposures max with any camera, so my SL batteries last typically about five to seven sessions of use ... just like my M-D batteries.

G

Godfrey

My Nitecore chargers for Leica SL and M-D arrived. They're small, light, and the LED readout is clear while providing useful information. I bought two for the SL (since I have three batteries) and one for the M-D. The USB power cord is a bit short but not a big deal. They charge the batteries well connected to either an Apple iPhone charger or my USB hub.

Nice! Thanks for mentioning them!