The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A short review of the Noctilux 75 M

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Makes me want to throw the whole MF thing away and get the 75M Nocti and a M246 ... 21 SEM 50 Lux ...

Do not tempt me ....

Guess the good news is this will be rare as Hen's teeth for a rather short time.

Beautiful writeup and gorgeous pictures.

Thank you for sharing this.

Bob

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Nicely done .

No surprises is the NOCT signature in a 75mm focal length .

Just like the 75/2 sum micron shares the design and look of the 50/1.4asph and the 75/1.4 (pre asph ) is similar to the 50/1.4 (preasph) summilux . If you compared the 50 s you would see a similar transition in the aesthetic produced .

Something that is rarely mentioned is the purity of the color transmission ...I ve always thought that the Noctlux (in this case the 50) seemed to have nicer color saturation and cleaner whites that the summilux asph . (Even though the 50/1.4 asph is my 2nd most used lens).

The smoothness of the bokeh ,the clean whites and saturated neutral colors of the NOCT show well in the new 75 .

Ordered it day one .

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Nicely done .

Just like the 75/2 sum micron shares the design and look of the 50/1.4asph and the 75/1.4 (pre asph ) is similar to the 50/1.4 (preasph) summilux . If you compared the 50 s you would see a similar transition in the aesthetic produced .

Something that is rarely mentioned is the purity of the color transmission ...I ve always thought that the Noctlux (in this case the 50) seemed to have nicer color saturation and cleaner whites that the summilux asph . (Even though the 50/1.4 asph is my 2nd most used lens).

The smoothness of the bokeh ,the clean whites and saturated neutral colors of the NOCT show well in the new 75 .

Ordered it day one .

The purity of the colors is something that Thorsten O commented on with the 50 Nocti.

I agree.

Beautiful glass.

Bob

DezFoto

Interesting read Jono.

How is the focus throw when compared to the 75 APO Cron? I find the Cron has far too short a throw, which makes it hard to nail focus at medium distances when shooting at f/2 but I love everything else about it.

jonoslack

Interesting read Jono.

How is the focus throw when compared to the 75 APO Cron? I find the Cron has far too short a throw, which makes it hard to nail focus at medium distances when shooting at f/2 but I love everything else about it.
Ach! The focus throw is longer, but I don’t have it in front of me, and it’s too long ago to be sure!. The 75 cron is my most used lens (by a distance), and I rather appreciate the short focus throw, but whilst I’m pretty sure that the Noctilux is longer I don’t have one to check with.
Sorry!

Shashin

I have a confession. The only reason I read Jono's reviews to see the dog photography...

Still, a nice review...

JohnBrew

Jono, your usual capable review which I for one appreciate. Been out of the Leica loop for a while and didn't realize this lens was even in the pipeline. But, seriously, the same weight as my Nikon spec Otus? No way would I strap that thing on an M body.
The only fault I find with your review is there is no image of the lens, let alone the lens on the body. Could you correct that, please?
All the best,
John

scott kirkpatrick

I have a confession. The only reason I read Jono's reviews to see the dog photography...

Still, a nice review...
Agreed, but I look for the chickens. (And the cat, Echo).

Let me add the Sean Reid question -- how much of the field of view is obscured by the lens?

jonoslack

Agreed, but I look for the chickens. (And the cat, Echo).

Let me add the Sean Reid question -- how much of the field of view is obscured by the lens?
Hi There Scott
Not very much of the rangefinder is obscured (as far as I can remember).
Sadly Echo is no more - so no more snaps - she was 17 - a good innings!

jonoslack

Jono, your usual capable review which I for one appreciate. Been out of the Leica loop for a while and didn't realize this lens was even in the pipeline. But, seriously, the same weight as my Nikon spec Otus? No way would I strap that thing on an M body.
The only fault I find with your review is there is no image of the lens, let alone the lens on the body. Could you correct that, please?
All the best,
John
Well, I'm sure it's the same quality as your Otus (at least), and quite a lot smaller. I have to say that I didn't have any issues shooting with it on the M10, I think the body is pretty substantial and can handle it . .

Sorry there aren't any pictures of the lens - truth is I was expecting to get another copy closer to the launch time, and using the publicity pictures always seems to be a bit of a cop out!

best

jonoslack

I don't think the word "diminutive" is going to creep up in any discussions about the lens or it's price tag ;)
Certainly not, but it's actually not all that big (just very heavy!)

The price tag is my problem - not because I don't think it's worth it, but because I can't afford it!

One Day! (maybe)

jonoslack

Nicely done .

Ordered it day one .
Hi There Roger
I think that Leica have learned some lessons, and my feeling is that this is really quite a lot nicer than the 50 f.95 - but then, perhaps I like the 75 'cron better than the 50 'lux (both favorites), so perhaps the same thing applies.

At any rate I don't think you'll be disappointed - I'd have one in a heartbeat (if I had any kidneys left!).

all the best

jonoslack

Still, a nice review...
Ah! The dogs :)
Would you like to buy them?
you can have them for the price of a 75 Noctilux!

Honestly (really) my intention is to entertain - just that - personally I'm not keen on equipment reviews, especially formulaic ones.

all the best

scott kirkpatrick

Hi There Scott
Sadly Echo is no more - so no more snaps - she was 17 - a good innings!
I'm sorry to hear that. 17 is a very long time, but she always seemed to look alert and involved. I guess your place offered plenty of mice, birds, snakes and lizards...
Are you interviewing candidates for her replacement?