Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: M8 announcements

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: M8 announcements

That is the way i see it also but i will check to make sure. I want sensor and electronic frame lines and i would be happy. Actually very happy i won't have to sell one and buy another , that parts stinks
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I concur with Jono and LJ on this as well. The price of €1200 is for these items. Each time there is an upgrade, it has a price. The other makes no economic sense for the company. Essentially, they would be upgrading a camera forever at a fraction of the cost of a new body. One thing I've learned on my short Leica journey is nothing comes cheap and that would be a steal.

Post Thanks / Like

I made some updates to my follow-on post question about "bundling" and the "roadmap". While Leica may not yet know future plans and costs, they could take some seriously big customer loyalty steps now to help folks think through some of this. They are essentially asking for our money in a month or two, then we wait for 4-6 months for the actual work. In the meantime, there may be several new developments that could be rolled out as new options, like the sensor and framelines stuff. If we have to pony up full-fare again, folks are going to start wondering about the true value over time, regardless if they introduce another model or not. Worth thinking about.

LJ

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

it would also be nice if they reset the 2yr warranty each time they do an upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    it would also be nice if they reset the 2yr warranty each time they do an upgrade.
    I am sort of naively thinking that this, CLA and firmware update will always be a part of any future option, but it is an excellent point to raise with them.

LJ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing that if new hardware is installed, then it will require new firmware and as such, it'll have to be installed, otherwise, you've got a expensive brick.

Sean_Reid

That might end up being the case.

1200 Euro is the price for that specific upgrade package only. I think the logic is that, over time, the cost of upgrading the camera is less than the usual costs we face when buying a whole new camera.

Cheers,

Sean

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    if I had to replace it myself, it would have been about $200-300, and that would include a complete CLA, firmware update if available and return shipping. That is a huge difference from $1,800 for nearly the same sort of thing, but admittedly on a very different camera.
    I agree, it's purely value priced and has no correlation to cost. That makes it a good product in line with Leica's typical business. If the shutter is really as quiet as a cloth shutter then it's a significant improvement over the competition. As usual, you can get something very good by buying Canon (or any other mass market brand), but if you want something better you have to pony up for it. No different from Leica lenses.

I'm not sure I'll buy the upgrade. Perhaps what I'll do instead is eventually get a second body with this upgrade pre-installed. (Assuming that will be a possibility.)

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    Oops, "purchasing the upgrade certificate" sound like words chosen carefully, making it clear that you are purchasing something concrete, the "certificate," and not just signing up for a place in line. I guess they are factoring the 3+ month loan into their business case this time.
    Yeah, they've learned a new trick! Instead of sending your camera in with payment and waiting 12 weeks to get it back, you buy a place in line and they'll tell you when to send it in as you approach the front of the queue. Like it should be done. If they actually do this right, the 4-week time estimate is probably a worst-case estimate with some safety margin built in for them to straighten out any kinks in the process. I'd suspect that the camera will turn around in a lot less than this, at least once they've been running the process a little bit.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think they will do that. I will check this also.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Digital Dude

In the abstract itís difficult for me to assign a cost value to the hardware upgrades since I just purchased my M8 in December. I suppose those who are nearing the end of their warranty period will appreciate the upgrade more than me. Still, I will likely have my finger on the send button when the certificate shows up on my computer screen.
    Regards,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why would you do it, Daniel ?
    I'm in a similar situation.
    My M8 is from mid october 2007, that is 3Ĺ months old.
    At that time the sales price was 4950 USD.
    1200 EUR equals 1784 USD which is 36 % of the original sales price.
    36 % increase of the total price just for two non vital changes of components, c'mon Leica.
    And for what - just to make sure my camera is up to date ?
    On the other hand, if I don't do these "perpetual" upgrades will I then ever be able to sell the camera again ?
    After 2.8 such updates I will have paid the initial camera price twice.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bondo View Post
    Why would you do it, Daniel ?
    I'm in a similar situation.
    My M8 is from mid october 2007, that is 3Ĺ months old.
    At that time the sales price was 4950 USD.
    1200 EUR equals 1784 USD which is 36 % of the original sales price.
    36 % increase of the total price just for two non vital changes of components, c'mon Leica.
    And for what - just to make sure my camera is up to date ?
    On the other hand, if I don't do these "perpetual" upgrades will I then ever be able to sell the camera again ?
    After 2.8 such updates I will have paid the initial camera price twice.
    Hi There
    You don't have to do it - you might want the faster top shutter speed and flash sync with a slightly noisier shutter (I might too) - Leica obviously thought people would in the first place.
    You might not scratch your screen (mine is 18 months old and it's just fine).

You don't have to do it (and nor do I).
    It's even possible that the secondhand value of an 'untreated' camera is less than that of a 'treated' camera . . . . on the other hand it might not!

But the fact that you don't fancy it doesn't mean it isn't a good thing. In this world of throw-away technology I think it's great that Leica have decided to play it differently. The fact that you don't want this upgrade (and I might not either) doesn't mean that it isn't great that they're offering it.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Of course I can just skip the upgrade. It's the pricetag I find silly, Jono. Maybe I should have expressed that more clearly.
    And more important, we still have to wait and see what the implications are for the cameras of those owners who choose not to do this upgrade.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

This upgrade is a much better deal for current owners than if Leica had simply released an updated M8-2 with no upgrade path for existing owners. There is no need to feel angry. This way, anyone can choose to buy an old M8 and update it themselves, keeping them viable.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I concur with Jono and LJ on this as well. The price of €1200 is for these items. Each time there is an upgrade, it has a price. The other makes no economic sense for the company. Essentially, they would be upgrading a camera forever at a fraction of the cost of a new body. One thing I've learned on my short Leica journey is nothing comes cheap and that would be a steal.
    The fact is, this upgrade might make sense after a few years of really HEAVY use. We shoot a LOT more frames now with digital than we ever did with film, so shutters see a lot more actuations. Kind of nice to know my current M8's can be "updated" with new shutters in a few years if I need it done, regardless of whether or not the tech specs of the upgrade are important to me now. This falls into line with the historical path Leica has taken on the M camera not becoming obsolete.

Net-net, I like it
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Digital Dude

Quote Originally Posted by bondo View Post
    Why would you do it, Daniel ?...
    For me personally, it will likely fall into the category of “just because” since I can’t think of any real tangible reason to do it. However, I have some time for the hype to cool down before making the purchase so maybe I’ll develop frostbite.
    Regards,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    The fact is, this upgrade might make sense after a few years of really HEAVY use. We shoot a LOT more frames now with digital than we ever did with film, so shutters see a lot more actuations. Kind of nice to know my current M8's can be "updated" with new shutters in a few years if I need it done, regardless of whether or not the tech specs of the upgrade are important to me now. This falls into line with the historical path Leica has taken on the M camera not becoming obsolete.

Net-net, I like it
    I'm with Jack. I've shot ten of thousands of frames at this point and my screen is a little scuffed (left eyed shooter are always wiping nosegrease off the thing!) and yeah, a more quite shutter would be cool. I'll have to wait, as there's no way I can afford 1200 Euros. Maybe after I've bought a Leica lens?

Hummm, it might be time for upgrade two by the time I have the scratch for an upgrade. But what the heck, it's just cool to know I have the option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am very happy Leica is offering an upgrade path for the M8. It makes me feel better about my original decision to invest in the M8. I don't know if I will go for the first upgrade option based on its description and cost (although the 2 yr warranty sweetens the pot). More importantly, I am hoping future upgrades are not predicated on getting the first upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark,
    That was kind of my other question about the possibility of "bundling" on a future upgrade. If I do not do this one, but decide on the next one (if it had something else really significant, like a new sensor and electronics), could I add this first one onto that order at some reduced cost since they would be cracking the body open anyway and doing the CLA? That would be a worthwhile consideration, I think. As Jack said, no real point in swapping a good, functional shutter right now, unless the sound thing was absolutely critical for somebody. Wait for the next offering and decide then.

LJ