The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 announcements

Stuart Richardson

Yes, if you follow the link in that thread, the website lists the price as 1200 euro. The website looks a little dubious, but they did break the story before the email was sent out, and all their information was correct.

Daniel

Yes, if you follow the link in that thread, the website lists the price as 1200 euro. The website looks a little dubious, but they did break the story before the email was sent out, and all their information was correct.
i hope the price is over-stated because i think it's unreasonably steep.

LJL

After reading some of the threads and questions here and on the LUF (which was getting a bit toxic....thank you folks for keeping this place SO civil and helpful!!), I got to thinking about just what Leica is putting out there. This is an "option" upgrade, not required, and it may or may not suit one's needs. How this impacts future M8s remains to be seen. (This is a bit in reference to CMB's post on the "Leica Questions" thread.) It may become something like the "coded v. non-coded" lenses. The present stuff works and will keep working on existing gear. If one wants to use it for more recent/improved features, they need to get things "upgraded".

There were several folks wondering if this option set would be part of newer M8s. Good question. As I understand how it is being positioned, this is still an "option", meaning the newer M8s may not have some of these features either. It looks to me at least, that this is sort of the beginning of an a la carte type program to some degree. In other words, we may be able to order a future M8 with one or two or three different shutter options, or maybe have different shutter releases, or some other feature turned on or off when we buy it. I know that it is not quite the same thing, but is sure does have a bit of that feel to it ;-)

Just some more food for thought, and nobody is having to get any of the upgrades unless they so choose. For me, until I have a better idea of both future plans/options available and some costs associated with those options, there does not seem to be anything really compelling here yet. A quieter shutter would be nice if it is really quieter (can you hear "snick"??). The rest should have been designed in from the start for this level of camera, and should not require our paying for them a second time to get things "right".

LJ

Terry

just to put the price piece in perspective (and this is not an endorsement of the upgrade cost!) a couple of months ago there was a thread on LUF about a camera with a damaged shutter where it seemed to there was a crease in the metal that came from underneath. The cost to repair was extremely high. So, I would bet a big chunk of the upgrade price is related to the shutter.

LJL

Not disagreeing with you about the major part of that upgrade "cost", Terry, but that is still an awful lot of money. I recently had a shutter replaced on one of my Canon 1-series cameras. It was under warranty and cost me nothing, but if I had to replace it myself, it would have been about $200-300, and that would include a complete CLA, firmware update if available and return shipping. That is a huge difference from $1,800 for nearly the same sort of thing, but admittedly on a very different camera.

Also, based on what Guy had just posted on another thread, that new titanium blade shutter may be quite quiet at that ("snick"), but your electronic sync drops to 1/80s, in addition to fastest speed dropping to 1/4000s. Quiet is good....not so sure about the other things one must "give up" for all that cost ;-)

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hi Guy,
The flash sync is 1/180...
The M8 will be available “New” with or without the upgrade...
Along with the upgrade comes a complete “CLA Equivalent”...

Sorry folks i said 1/80 th i was dead wrong. It is 1/180th .

LJL

Thanks for that correction, Guy. The 1/80s seemed like a throwback a bit too far. The 1/180s is better for most applications.

LJ

S

Sean_Reid

Guy, another thought is that we should ask for clarification that ongoing firmware development will not be necessarily tied to the latest upgrade, thereby stranding those of us who do not commit to an upgrade. I realize that in some cases part of a firmware upgrade may be specific to newer hardware, but original owners who elect not to upgrade shouldn't be left behind on more generic firmware upgradability.

I mention this as the announcement specifically states that the upgrade includes:

"Installation of the newest relevant firmware."

I can answer that one. All M8 owners will still be able to update their cameras with new firmware as it is released. The installation in the upgrade is just a convenience.

Cheers,

Sean

carstenw

Also, it says they are not even going to start until August 2008...but they want you to buy the upgrade in March. So you shell out your 1200 euros in March or April and conceivably don't get an upgraded camera until October or November of 2008 (given how long the turnaround is for their normal repairs). Sounds like a great deal for Leica and a very bad one for the consumer.
Since this upgrade will be available to everyone, I do not see why anyone should pay in March. Where does it say that? It only says "as of March" in the Leica email I got.

Daniel

there is no other camera company in the industry that subscribes to leica's philosophy. this is unusual by today's digital camera industry's standards, and i applaud leica for taking this direction.

so, i'm REALLY excited that leica is making efforts to protect our investment by providing future upgrade options to keep pace with changing technologies. this is a wow for me!

of course i don't like forking out almost 1800$ for ANY upgrade, but, in all fairness, nothing is free. someone else has to make a living too -- specialized parts, materials, and specialized and intellectual labor aren't cheap!

anyway, i think i'd opt for the quiet shutter and sacrifice the highest shutter speeds: 1/8000, and 1/250 for flash. but the quiet shutter still begs the question: how quiet is "quiet"? i've never heard an m7's shutter before so i have no idea what "quiet" means in this context.

by the way, what is "CLA"?

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

Since this upgrade will be available to everyone, I do not see why anyone should pay in March. Where does it say that? It only says "as of March" in the Leica email I got.
Carsten, in the US email it says the following:

" • The fact that you are registered as a M8 owner will give you guaranteed access to an exclusive online area where you will be able to purchase your upgrade certificate.
• Purchasing the upgrade certificates will be possible as of March 2008 - the actual upgrading will commence as of August 2008.
• The upgrades will be fullfiled in the same order as the upgrade certificates were purchased. It is therefore advisable to acquire the certificate as quickly as possible."

The last point suggests that you better purchase it as soon as it is available or your camera will have a long wait.

S

Sean_Reid

Hi Carsten,

The advantage, in theory, would be having a place closer to the front of the line. The upgrades are, says Leica, being done on a "first come, first served" basis.

Cheers,

Sean

robsteve

Subscriber
Where did I get the impression the upgrade included door to door shipping? I don't know if anybody has shipped somthing as valuable as an M8, but the shipping one way can be hundreds of dollars including insurance. If Leica's price includes shipping, the upgrade may not be as expensive as we think.

Their original suggested price was in Euros and may have already included VAT. The US price may be cheaper. Leica may also just have a different price for different regions, like they do for everything else they sell.

jonoslack

Where did I get the impression the upgrade included door to door shipping? I don't know if anybody has shipped somthing as valuable as an M8, but the shipping one way can be hundreds of dollars including insurance. If Leica's price includes shipping, the upgrade may not be as expensive as we think.

Their original suggested price was in Euros and may have already included VAT. The US price may be cheaper. Leica may also just have a different price for different regions, like they do for everything else they sell.

HI There - my email had the following:

But I'm in the UK, so maybe it's different here?

scott kirkpatrick

HI There - my email had the following:

But I'm in the UK, so maybe it's different here?
I'm in the US (but I keep them confused, with an Israeli address as well), and saw the same. They have said that your credit cards will be charged in EUR. They have not said anything about VAT. I expect it is included, but one might ask for it to be reduced or removed in countries where it does not exist.

The email was signed "the Leica Internet Team," which is the same group within Leica Camera AG which handled the 30% discount lens sales. I am sure that there is a serious discussion ongoing between Leica's direct marketing people and their international distribution chain. And users have some say in the resulting negotiation about VAT impact, which makes this an interesting piece of business practice to watch in the internet age. Again, on the lens direct marketing program, the shipping was paid for by Leica, and the risk of loss was theirs as well, since the lens belonged to them until delivered to your doorstep.

scott

scott kirkpatrick

Hi Carsten,

The advantage, in theory, would be having a place closer to the front of the line. The upgrades are, says Leica, being done on a "first come, first served" basis.

Cheers,

Sean
Sean, when your NDA deadline expires today or tomorrow, would you mind explaining whether the order for an upgrade must be accompanied by payment, or is simply a signed committment to pay for the upgrade when your turn comes?

scott

scott kirkpatrick

Carsten, in the US email it says the following:

" • The fact that you are registered as a M8 owner will give you guaranteed access to an exclusive online area where you will be able to purchase your upgrade certificate.
• Purchasing the upgrade certificates will be possible as of March 2008 - the actual upgrading will commence as of August 2008.
• The upgrades will be fullfiled in the same order as the upgrade certificates were purchased. It is therefore advisable to acquire the certificate as quickly as possible."

The last point suggests that you better purchase it as soon as it is available or your camera will have a long wait.
Oops, "purchasing the upgrade certificate" sound like words chosen carefully, making it clear that you are purchasing something concrete, the "certificate," and not just signing up for a place in line. I guess they are factoring the 3+ month loan into their business case this time.

scott

P

PaulMayeux

I just received another email from Leica. This one had a link to their site where they had a soundbyte file from both the old shutter and the new shutter. The new is a little quieter.

In all I think this is a great deal. If I understand it correctly, the camera will be continually upgraded as upgrades become available, not just the sapphire screen and the shutter. I would expect that if a new sensor becomes available we'll get that as well.