The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

s007 prices??

Paratom

Can anyone help me with an idea for what prices used S007 go these days?
I am trying to decide wether I should sell my S007 or my S006 (I will keep one for sure). I can find prices between 3.5-5.5k for S006, but what can I expect for a very good condition S007?
Thanks, Tom

Paratom

Tom, they're like unicorns. I could find only one recent sale (in the US) of a Type 007 in that condition:

Seems alarmingly cheap, given the original retail price.

Joe
Thanks Joe,
wow, thats low indeed.

I guess I will rather sell my S006 and keep the S007 in that case. Since I dodnt need more than 37MP I then might resist the S008.
At the moment I am looking at the x1d with 2 lenses for its portability, but for now I do not want to rush out of the S system. The IQ, handling and lenses are great. I just wish there were some smaller lenses available.

V

Vivek

Stating the obvious: The impact of Fuji and Hasselblad's offerings.

rickgrainger

I would imagine that this year's Photokina will be very telling regarding the future of the Leica S system. A strong showing with several announcements and it will breathe new life into this system. If we hear a deafening silence, then it will pretty much mean that Leica has decided to focus their energies elsewhere.

The second scenario would be unfortunate as there is a lot of opportunity here. Not everyone wants a mirrorless medium format system. Medium format appears to be gaining traction; and (in my opinion) Leica shouldn't abandon it. It currently has the fastest, most compact, DSLR-style medium format system on the market.

Hopefully, the folks that run Leica will see fit to keep this system advancing forward.

Rick

ptomsu

Workshop Member
WRT no progress in the Leica S system - well for me this is not surprising, have seen this with Leica so many times - unfortunately.

WRT medium format system - I do not want to introduce another discussion what medium format is, but the Leica S system is by no means even close to medium format as we all know - and this was also stated by Leica officially when they introduced it as the Leica S format many years ago (I remember 9 years).

Currently the Leica S system is rather blocking the SL system as this is not allowed to get higher in resolution as long the S system has "only" around 37MP. I personally would welcome abandoning the S system and invest really into the future of their SL, TL and M lines. Never understood why the so-called medium format S system made any economic sense for Leica - but who knows.

Paratom

I dont know where the definition medium format starts and ends.
What I believe to see is a larger difference in IQ between full frame and "small" medium format (like Leica S, Fuji, x1d), than between small and larger medium format sensors. I dont know how much is lenses, how much is 16 bit color, and how much is sensor size.

I can see advantages of the mirrorless cameras like the x1d over a Leica S and also plan to get into a small set of the x1d. But there is one main reason: I like to carry my gear on many places during travel and activity and therefore weight is an issue.
If I was a working pro I would probably much prefer the S system over a x1d, for its fast AF, fast and excellent lenses, fast pace of shooting etc.
Also I think it is very cool to be able to have FF and MF with interchangable lenses and comparable user interface.
So I still find it a very appealing system. I am sure Leica will follow the demand of higher MP in both the Sl and S system. Even though I am not sure we really do need this. I wouldnt mind 36MP in the SL, but I dont really need more in the S. I understand different people have different needs though.

I also believe it is good that different brands go different ways and philosophy regarding their products. This mean WE can choose what we want.
Do we want more compact lenses and body like the x1d, or do we want max. speed and fast lenses with max. IQ (S), or do we want flexible backs with high resolution and even larger sensor (phase and Hassy) or do we want a system where we can adapt all kind of lenses (Fuji).

daf

I'm from acouple of weeks looking at the S market, and i haven't seen price that low.
Paratom, if you want to sell your S007 for that price, push me an email ;)

My leica dealer said: that we should not expect any new S body information before Sept 2018 ... this actually doesn't mean anything, but he is a reputable dealer so it might be something on the road.

Paratom

Thank you to all. I decided to sell the S006 and keep the S007. I am a handhold shooter and the S007 allows me easier to shoot handheld also in lower light.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Thank you to all. I decided to rather sell the S006 and keep the S007. I am a handhold shooter and the S007 allows me to shoot handheld also in lower light.
I keep meaning to use a tripod. Really. And yet they hide whenever I'm about to leave the house. :grin:

Matt

V

Vivek

There are cameras with built in stabilizers for that. ;)

I only got acquainted with one very recently but find it extremely useful! :)

bab

Not too long ago there was lots of glass for sale a some 007, but mostly 006’s I thought to hold out for a new model before going jumping into the glass and a 007. Then suddenly the glass offering disappeared and of course no news from Leica,hum financial or just other pots on the fire?
I ended up going a different direction altogether, but while in Hong Kong this past September many bodies and glass were available for purchase new and used so still puzzled. Your decision to keep one is warranted since you have a investment in the glass which likely would remain state of art even if a 50 mp body were to surface the summer or fall.

Paratom

Not too long ago there was lots of glass for sale a some 007, but mostly 006’s I thought to hold out for a new model before going jumping into the glass and a 007. Then suddenly the glass offering disappeared and of course no news from Leica,hum financial or just other pots on the fire?
I ended up going a different direction altogether, but while in Hong Kong this past September many bodies and glass were available for purchase new and used so still puzzled. Your decision to keep one is warranted since you have a investment in the glass which likely would remain state of art even if a 50 mp body were to surface the summer or fall.
Plus for my purpose I have been totally fine with 37MP. I "hope" there will be no other new things in the S008 which could make me want to get one over the S007. (Of I course I hope for Leica and all S users that the S008 will be a "I want it"-camera.

fotografz

Plus for my purpose I have been totally fine with 37MP. I "hope" there will be no other new things in the S008 which could make me want to get one over the S007. (Of I course I hope for Leica and all S users that the S008 will be a "I want it"-camera.
37 meg has been fine for me also. In fact the (006) does everything I need, and has the look and feel I prefer. The key feature many overlook about the S is the fast aperture CS lenses and ability to shoot focal-plane or leaf-shutter at a flick of a switch. This camera was (and remains) my biggest earner. I use a MM for my street work and a Sony du jour for everything else. The lens are more important than the camera, and I recall Leica saying the S and CS optics were good up to 100 meg.

If Leica launches a S(008) that is desirable, I'll wait until it's available used for $5K or $6K.:eek:

- Marc

DB5

Wether you like the GFX or not, it can be found mint used for $6400 That puts old S prices in perspective.

Leica have some serious competition now and they can't rest on their laurels any longer.

The 60MP 008 will probably come out at Photokina and share a stage with the 100MP Fuji and Hasselblad X which have a hell of a lot of development going on and new lenses coming too. Leica will talk about the vapourware 350mm and tilt shift and talk about their "focus on professionals".

DB5

Wether you like the GFX or not, it can be found mint used for $6400 That puts old S prices in perspective. Leica have some serious competition now and they can't rest on their laurels any longer.

The 60MP S3 will probably come out at Photokina and share a stage with the 100MP Fuji and Hasselblad X which have a hell of a lot of development going on and new lenses coming too, almost as many as the existing Leica ones. Where is Leica's long lens? And the tilt shift?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Wether you like the GFX or not, it can be found mint used for $6400 That puts old S prices in perspective.

Leica have some serious competition now and they can't rest on their laurels any longer.

The 60MP S3 will probably come out at Photokina and share a stage with the 100MP Fuji and Hasselblad X which have a hell of a lot of development going on and new lenses coming too, almost as many as the existing Leica ones.
And they just finished 12/31/17 haven a special in Europe for the S 007 at 7500EUR .

No doubt the GFX is a terrific system but it was built to compete at a different price point . Many times thats important but not always .

When I first saw the S2 in NYC at the introduction of the M9 ....I knew it was prefect for my uses . Its still my favorite system and I have plenty to choose from .

daf

And they just finished 12/31/17 haven a special in Europe for the S 007 at 7500EUR .

No doubt the GFX is a terrific system but it was built to compete at a different price point . Many times thats important but not always .

When I first saw the S2 in NYC at the introduction of the M9 ....I knew it was prefect for my uses . Its still my favorite system and I have plenty to choose from .
Could you elaborate on the EU S007 price, because i ask my dealer, and he told me that there was an upgrade program, but no straight sale ... if you can give me some tips, i'll ask other vendors ;)

DB5

Me too, the S2 was instantly my dream camera and it was up on a pedestal as far as I was concerned. It unfortuntely worked out more complicated and problematic than that for me though and development lagged in the areas I needed.

Leica was the first to create this small medium format camera and probably paved the way for the GFX and X1. Really it was miracle they could take a medium format camera and make it smaller than a Canon 1 series and especially so back in 2009 or what ever it was - almost 10 years ago. It was truly ahead of it's time.

There's no denying how nice S images look either but there is also a fair bit of marketing at play - the lenses really aren't significantly better than other systems, they are generally not that much faster either. It takes nice images at a very high price.

My last remaining issue was the disparity between the cost of ownership and the reliability and service.