Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Leica questions

Sean_Reid

Re: Leica questions

Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    Woody,
    In the FAQ document just released by Leica on their site, the very first question deals with this. The answer states that any Leica M8 in the market is available for this upgrade. There is no information yet on what may be the "non-original owner" upgrade plan and costs. This may create a multi-tiered category for used cameras....those with and those without the upgrades, and then which upgrades they may have.
    LJ
    It's my understanding that the cost is the cost no matter who the owner is. I'll have to ask about VAT.

Cheer,

Sean

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by thegrumpymonk View Post
    sean or guy,

not sure if this was answered already, but is the 2-year warranty added on top of existing m8 warranty? for example, i purchased my m8 on 7 january 2008, so, if i choose this upgrade option, will i have an additional 2 years? or the 2-year warranty only applies to the parts mentioned in the upgrade -- the new shutter and the lcd glass?

EDIT: by the way, just in case some of you are wondering if the new firmware makes the m8 recognize sandisk extreme III 4gb sd card. no it doesn't.
    It applies to the whole camera.

I believe its 2 years from the date of the upgrade but I'd need to double check that.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, Sean et al.

Thanks for the comments. I agree with the logic but still cannot tell for sure from the Leica news release. I would seriously doubt though that they would forego the potential revenue and further alienate some of their oldest M8 customers. So we will wait to see if our logic bears fruit in the reality

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How many upgrades does the first payment of 1200 € cover, just this first upgrade or an infinite number of upgrades in the future ?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think just the 1st one announced.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That was what I feared, Guy. In that case I think it is waay too expensive for just two new components, none of them being the sensor.
    Last edited by Steen; 31st January 2008 at 09:29.

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Guy, Sean et al.

Thanks for the comments. I agree with the logic but still cannot tell for sure from the Leica news release. I would seriously doubt though that they would forego the potential revenue and further alienate some of their oldest M8 customers. So we will wait to see if our logic bears fruit in the reality

Woody
    Hi Woody,

I'm not going from the news release. I'm going from my direct discussions with Leica.

Cheers,

Sean

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thegrumpymonk View Post
    s
    EDIT: by the way, just in case some of you are wondering if the new firmware makes the m8 recognize sandisk extreme III 4gb sd card. no it doesn't.
    Oh well, I guess I'll just leave mine in the D-Lux 3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Personally, I'm hoping the new shutter will actually improve slow-speed, hand-held shooting. In a camera system that frequently sells expensive lenses that are often judged by some very subtle nuance, obtaining the ability to shoot at (dare I say it?) even 1 full stop slower represents some real value. That remains to be seen of course. But if that proves true, it adds a lot of value. My cron suddenly gets closer to a lux and a lux gets well, even lux-ier.

By the way, I downloaded the shutter sound files and played them. If you do that and your Mac is set up in any way like mine, the MP3 files will open in iTunes. It took me awhile to realize that I had my preferences set with the "Sound Check" preference turned on. That preference automatically balances the volume levels from one "song" to the next. With it turned on, you won't hear any difference between the shutters. Find it in Preferences > Playback > Sound Check and de-select it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bondo View Post
    That was what I feared, Guy. In that case I think it is waay too expensive for just two new components, none of them being the sensor.
    I'm with you on this one. However, it's nice to think that maybe an upgrade would be to FF. Of course, maybe the upgrade is going to the M9 whenever that is

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_Reid View Post
    Hi Woody,

I'm not going from the news release. I'm going from my direct discussions with Leica.

Cheers,

Sean
    Terrific Sean

I now feel much better

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Leica USA site now has the update info as part of the M8 pages. It seems to be worded more clearly. For example it says "All M8 ever built are suitable for this upgrade." They also mention collecting and returning the camera, which with some clarification on insurance, is probably a pretty good deal.

Here is the paragraph from the Leica web site:

"How can I take part?
    An upgrade certificate will be available for M8 owners fom March 2008 on the Leica website. These certificates will be uniquely numbered and used to schedule the timing of your upgrade on a first come first served basis from August 2008 on. All M8 ever built are suitable for this upgrade. We will take care about collecting the cameras and will also inspect and adjust all camera functions when carrying out the update, As a consequence, each LEICA M8 is given a two-years warranty after the upgrade as if for a brand new camera. For more information see the PDF document "FAQ M8 Upgrade Concept" under "Know-how" in our download section. "

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a question for Leica- will there be any new compact cameras? Like, say, a D-Lux 4 with a rangefinder or optical finder?