The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica cl vs Sony a7iii

stephengilbert

Not everything. I've had a Sony for years, but still miss the Leica menu (or lack thereof).

I hate having pages of settings.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Sony is FF and way better sensor. Plus the FE mount lens lineup is much more complete compared to Leica and FF also supports using Leica M glass without crop - from what I heard with decent IQ.

Even with Leica having more attractive menus etc. my choice would clearly be Sony now!

Bernard

The answer is "get the one you like."

The Sony has better video, and is probably better beyond 3200 ISO. The Leica has better lenses and is nicer to use. Take your pick, or get both if you can't decide.

Satrycon

the menus always come up :)...the menus and UI issue came up with the T 701 when it launched....but actually, once setup properly..one rarely has to dive into the menus..even on sony's...the SL menus are equally deep, but more logical.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

the menus always come up :)...the menus and UI issue came up with the T 701 when it launched....but actually, once setup properly..once rarely has to dive into the menus..even on sony's...the SL menus are equally deep, but more logical.
Don't pull the straws away, please! ;)

Paratom

For me the cl fits my needs better, because its smaller, has lenses with a really good relation between size, speed and range, and for my taste a more intuitive user interface. I also prefer the out of camera color from Leica over Sony, specially skin color.
I sold all my A7 Sony equipment 2 years ago and dont miss it.
But why compare a dx camera to full frame?
Would be a 6500 the camera to compare to the CL?

msadat

i do have the leica tl2 with all the tl and sl lenses, and i love leica (lenses) but i think they are missing the boat on cameras. everything they do seems to be one or two generations behind in terms of technology, i know they know it and it must be hard. had i not all the lenses and accessories , i would not have bought the tl2 either. i love the interface but i could not look at cl when the a7iii came out.

i think for my needs, sony in the 35mm (has almost everything, missing some long tele) and the fuji medium format covers everything i need or want to shoot. but i have a bunch of leica stuff from s to sl to m to tl, now the big question for me is what to do what to do!

Last edited:

Paratom

i do have the leica tl2 with all the tl and sl lenses, and i love leica (lenses) but i think they are missing the boat on cameras. everything they do seems to be one or two generations behind in terms of technology, i know they know it and it must be hard. had i not all the lenses and accessories , i would not have bought the tl2 either. i love the interface but i could not look at cl when the a7iii came out.

i think for my needs, sony in the 35mm (has almost everything, missing some long tele) and the fuji medium format covers everything i need or want to shoot. but i have a bunch of leica stuff from s to sl to m to tl, now the big question for me is what to do what to do!
Reduce gear, thats what I try to do.
For me it is a big advantage that my CL/SL/M lenses work very well together and I can exchange lenses. It is also a big advantage to have the same menue logic and simple user interface in the various cameras. Years ago I had Leica M and Canikon and mirrorless, 3 or more systems and every system with own lenses and own logic.
I am much more happy today with my gear.

Paratom

IBIS is nice and I would definetly prefer to have it in the CL, but as soon as you photograph people and also own some fast lenses it is not a killer criteria for me any more for me. All medium format people do not have IS/IBIS available and survive.
Its the whole package which has to work or doesnt work for someone.
I prefer the Leica, others maybe prefer the Fuji or the Sony, so what. I would never say one "is" better than the other. IMO they are all good and all have their pros and cons.