The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Obscene....

rayyan

That’s my opinion.

Hot on the heels of the ‘ glow in the dark ‘ stealth camera from Leica, comes this...

Thorsten von Overgaard Gallery Store - Luxury Camera Bags and Luxury Bespoke Suitcases for World Travelers

As I said, this is the height of vulgarity and obscenity and cruelty for the ‘ elite ‘ camera bags and travels cases.

Anyone reviewed this?

p.s. I can say, without exaggeration, that I have traveled at least twice as much around the world than either of these gentlemen would ever do.

Disclaimer: I am a supporter of the World Wildlife Organization.

scott kirkpatrick

After leafing down through this orgy of excess, I have developed a new tolerance for long discussions of leather camera cases and silk camera straps. But I don't need those, either.

V

Vivek

It is morphing into a one stop shop. More extensive than the leather camera case pushed by a regular here.

If I can buy my lunch and drinks as well, it would be perfect! :thumbup:

V

Vivek

Of cuurse there are!

Only the best will suffice to those.

(Rockwell has a page.)

Shashin

You want the ideal product that fulfills all of your needs, made to make you happy every time you touch it, and made to last forever
All in one bag. Just what I need is a bag that will make me happy when I touch it. I can now get rid of my security blanket.

On an related note, the last male Northern White Rhino has died. Half of Africa's species are threatened with extinction. But they could live on forever as a bag. The ingenuity of human beings is beyond words.

Bugleone

I wonder if they can do these cases in genuine granny skin?.........Oh wait! of course they can!

scott kirkpatrick

From time to time I have read von Overgaard's articles, and I have found his tables of Leica information (with links to technical notes) useful. But when did the current phase start? Now I understand that he and his Princess Joy Villa are Scientologists, seen on Hollywood red carpets, and traveling when they can in the Trump orbit or close to it. What does this have to do with photography? I block him.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Rayyan,

If this is your "height of obscenity", you REALLY haven't been paying attention.

I hope you survive to see the difference.

Best,

Matt

k-hawinkler

Not obscene but utterly depraved and decadent!
Hi Scott, I would leave Trump out of this discussion.
It doesn’t look like he is involved.
If you have proof otherwise, please present it here.

Shashin

Rayyan,

If this is your "height of obscenity", you REALLY haven't been paying attention.

I hope you survive to see the difference.

Best,

Matt
But this might be the first time it has come in fashion colors and ready to wear....might...

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
But this might be the first time it has come in fashion colors and ready to wear....might...
30 years ago, my friend saw an Alligator luggage set at Barney's for >$20,000. He asked how anyone could buy such a thing when luggage handlers were so brutal. The answer was "the people who buy these have their own planes."

This is NOT news.

Several decades in the Financial Services industry have introduced me to many such. I'm ashamed to say that I know personally people with over one thousand times my "net worth" and also families with one thousandth. That is the real obscenity.

Matt

Last edited:

Shashin

30 years ago, my friend saw an Alligator luggage set at Barney's for >$20,000. He asked how anyone could buy such a thing when luggage handlers were so brutal. The answer was "the people who buy these have their own planes."

This is NOT news.

Several decades in the Financial Services industry has introduced me to many such. I'm ashamed to say that I know personally people with over one thousand times my "net worth" and also families with one thousandth. That is the real obscenity.

Matt
Absolutely not news. A few thousand years ago, the wealthy would bury their entire retinue with them so they would have staff to serve them in the afterlife. I am not sure the pyramids are really a monument to the greatness of humanity, but more to our folly. Still, they make nice pictures...

scott kirkpatrick

DB5

Von

Disgusting. It should be called the Vomit not the Von.

Elephant skin? I don't even care if it's ethically sourced from animals that have died of natural causes. Who the actual Fk wants to walk around with a dead endangered animal adorning their bag? No respect, no dignity.

Crocodiles harvested and exploited for the rich. It's absolutely sickening. "Luxury living" at the cost of everything. Spending several tens of thousands on a bag when people can't even afford to eat.

This is not luxury living it's absolutely repulsive, it's backward and unintelligent.

Frankly

Granted I roll my eyes at this too but what's truly obscene is this mass ignorance of economics. Otherwise intelligent and supposedly educated people actually still believe in Marxist economics... that someone's extravagance penalizes someone less fortunate. It's this zero sum thinking, that labor and creativity don't add value and create worth, that keeps people in perpetual poverty.

It's petty envy that betrays a certain jealousy and ruefulness. "I can't have it so nobody else should" as though they're still spoilt brats on the playground.

I have no love for the fools who buy overpriced luxury goods but if there is a market for them then 100s, if not 1000s of people are benefitting down the supply and production chains. Good for them. Rather than wallowing in poverty they're working... as if that's wrong in your warped morals?

I suppose you hold the people who buy your artwork in similar contempt? Or is their money more moral and enlightened because it goes into your pocket?

Apologies for breaking up the liberal group think session, please go back to blaming other people for injustices.