The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Obscene....

Robert Campbell

Rayyan
I'm not belittling your response (or disagreeing).
It's pretty obscene . . but compared to the much worse obscenities in the world - I don't think it really compares.
Same with the Leica 'see in the dark' camera - you aren't obliged to buy it.
But in the face of Syria / Trump / Cambridge Analytica / Nerve poison attacks . . .
I'd rather take the mickey on the whole.

Round here, in (N) Ireland we have the threat of Brexit, the Border and all that.

OTOH, I would consider one of these bags if it was made from the skins of real unicorns ;}

scott kirkpatrick

Wow! I thought we were having a friendly, mildly snarky Veblen thread. Just exploring the ways in which photography can be a personal statement of a less wholesome sort.

scott kirkpatrick

We seem to have at least one contributor to this thread who seems to have taken
Economic lessons from readings of Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.

Bravo!
More than one, I suspect. But as Jack and Bob point out, if we stick a little closer to photography we'll never know and we might learn a few things.

Robert Campbell

(Although I don’t see why Leica shouldn’t make glow in the dark cameras at silly prices - no wildlife damaged and we don’t have to buy one! )
If I really wanted a glow in the dark Leica, I'd get an early 5cm Summicron, the ones with radioactive glass in them. :)

jdphoto

First last and final warning....
If it is not about photography it doesn't belong....
As for obscenities, lets say that THIS forum's position is that if the practice is legal, no matter how distasteful, then it may continue without reproach. Further discussion to be continued on one activist site or another but not this one.
Thanks
-bob
The purification of the "Sunset Bar" would be awesome to those who don't want a safe space in a photography forum.

wattsy

Granted I roll my eyes at this too but what's truly obscene is this mass ignorance of economics. Otherwise intelligent and supposedly educated people actually still believe in Marxist economics... that someone's extravagance penalizes someone less fortunate. It's this zero sum thinking, that labor and creativity don't add value and create worth, that keeps people in perpetual poverty.
On the contrary, freedom for the pike is death for the minnow. If you believe otherwise, you are a deluded fool.

rayyan

Do we have an ' ignore ' icon/botton here? or ' mute /damp '?

I hate the sound of my old Nikons.

Norm N

As a retired economics professor, I often had a hard time teaching the theory of optimality to my students. The basic concept is simple enough. At some point "goods" become "bads."

In the physical sense, the benefits of my use of a new personal personal computer are, I think, now being out-weighed by the costs to me, and to society, of disposing of a garage full of old laptops, printers. iPads, vacuums, etc. I'm offering my daughters partner a good sum to take them away. They will become societies "bad" (garbage). The garbage is piling up at a cost to me, and my children, and to you and your children.

Do you have too many camera bags? I do.

Using several examples, I could convince many of my students that optimization was a better way to approach issues than maximization, especially personal maximization. Although it's exceedingly difficult to put optimization into practice.

A final example: I consider Donald Trump to be a personal maximalist of the highest order. Do I sleep better at night because he is my President? Do you?

(I'm sorry, I tried but couldn't find the mute button.)

Norm

Photon42

Here another comment on the matter:

http://leicaphilia.com/tag/matteo-perin/

Personally I do not care what he's obsessed with. I do not have to do the same thing. Others may just not be that outspoken as Thorsten O. The story is of course spiced up with Scientology and rare animal hides. If I strip this off, this is not much different from showing off other luxury goods.
I do like well made stuff and own too many bags myself :facesmack: . For me, there's a limit I feel is acceptable to spend, which is not really related to affordability.

Ivo