The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica priced going up May 1

k-hawinkler

A novel way to promote sales!
Well Vivek, their strategy doesn't seem to work with or for me.
Although I own an embarrassingly large number of their lenses I won't add more of their gear. Luckily I can use all my lenses on other manufacturers' cameras, namely from Nikon, Olympus, and Sony...In Sony's case even with AF functionality. :thumbup:

Last edited:

bab

I’m familiar with making decisions in periods of lack luster sales,in its best interests I’m confident Leica made a good decision. Ask yourself who would buy Leica if it was priced as reasonably as Nikon...the mystique is in the precieved value.

If my m6,m7,m8,m9 or m10 had a hole the size of a nickel to focus I’d still have them! :banghead:

JeRuFo

That is not that much actually. A lot of manufacturers do that every year. Nikon and Canon have hit 20 or 30% in recent years on some products.

jdphoto

The Leica CL is doing so nicely, the only way to compete is to raise prices on most M models and lenses :)) I personally, won't buy any new Leica M products. Leica tends to have an exaggerated sense of value, imo, but perhaps the used M market will also do nicely.

Auni

I understand the usual riotous indignation, hate and jealousy but, Leica explained, "this revision is necessary due to the current exchange rates and the increase in raw materials and production costs." Nothing personal guys.

scott kirkpatrick

Nothing to see here. The several years runup in the US stock markets that might leave Leica afficionados feel flush and ready to spend has been undercut by a significant decrease in the value of the $ against the Euro. Correction was inevitable.

jdphoto

I understand the usual riotous indignation, hate and jealousy but, Leica explained, "this revision is necessary due to the current exchange rates and the increase in raw materials and production costs." Nothing personal guys.
And more boutiques...

Auni

And more boutiques...
I like the Leica stores. In our town there are only two camera stores left. When those are gone, at least there may still exist a store to try out a camera or lens before buying. Otherwise, where will we learn about new cameras? dpreview?

Also, to see photographs displayed. And, to participate in events and classes and shoot with renowned photographers. :thumbup:

bab

The euro is down 15% over the last year be that as it may the euro is still priced high for world currency competition.

Photon42

Apart from the M10, the list shows largely the previous model variants and film bodies. The latter anyway dance to a different drummer. I find it interesting to see the M240 base does not see any clearance pricing. I actually wonder who buys them nowadays. The M-D and the Mono are special, granted, but the others - in the light of the M10?

jdphoto

I like the Leica stores. In our town there are only two camera stores left. When those are gone, at least there may still exist a store to try out a camera or lens before buying. Otherwise, where will we learn about new cameras? dpreview?

Also, to see photographs displayed. And, to participate in events and classes and shoot with renowned photographers. :thumbup:
Not much choice if the only camera store in town is a Leica boutique.