The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SL lens firmware update

Robert Campbell

I tried the SL 90-280 on the CL. I got an error message to say that the lens firmware needed to be updated. I tried the 24-90; no problem.

So, I searched the Leica website; I could not find any SL 90-280 lens firmware updates.

Then, using the 'famous search engine' I discovered that lens updates are in the SL (camera) firmware updates. I'd updated to 3.1 recently; the 24-90 lens was attached, but I hadn't used the 90-280 subsequently.

I put the 'update firmware SD' card back in the SL, attached the 90-280, and turned on. After a second or two I got a message that updating was in progress; after a couple of minutes or so, another message to turn the camera off. Turning it on again, there were no further messages, and the lens worked. This was all automatic; I didn't have to enter any menu.

I then attached the 90-280 to the CL and Bingo! it worked; no funny error messages.

I guess you all know that when updating (camera) firmware all lenses that could be affected must be attached sequentially with the update SD in the camera; but I certainly didn't. It took quite an effort to discover what was going on. I'm not entirely sure if the update SD card needs to be in place, but it seems sensible.

And, you might well think that there should be an easier way to do this, and for dummies like me, a clearer explanation.

(If you think that putting a 90-280 bazooka on a CL is a bit odd, well it's for a project on the Irish border, that invisible interface between the UK and the EU which is causing a lot of strife here at present.)

scott kirkpatrick

Yup, SL lenses get updated when attached to an SL with current firmware, but not when attached to a CL, no matter the firmware. Cl lenses, naturally, only get updated when attached to a TL or CL with current firmware. This is not quite the "all lenses can be used" that was promised, and is a continuing complaint. But when it works, it takes no special effort.

jonoslack

A bugbear
I think the update works really well (you don't need the SD card installed) BUT it should work for all lenses for all cameras -
best

RMR

Does anyone have experience with the 50mm SL Summilux lens and the SL? It may be me but the auto focus seems fairly slow especially in comparison to my 24-90mm lens. I have installed update 3.2. Any thoughts?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Does anyone have experience with the 50mm SL Summilux lens and the SL? It may be me but the auto focus seems fairly slow especially in comparison to my 24-90mm lens. I have installed update 3.2. Any thoughts?
I have not, but my friend's report is that it is MUCH slower than the 24-90, but an altogether different look. The 75 and 90 Crons are closer in speed to the zoom lenses.

The design of the zooms and the Crons is to have a very light moving element so that focussing is fast. The 50 Lux does not share that design.

Best,

Matt