The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Updated New info on the Leica M8 announcement

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hi folks just got off the phone with my Leica rep which is in Vegas and called me right after there marketing meeting to get me more info on this upgrade.

Okay here we go please bear with me .

The shutter that will be put in on the upgrade is a completely new shutter and the old one will be replaced completely by a new shutter. The new shutter has titanium blades, is electronically controlled and has enhanced vibration capabilities to help improve image quality by a more vibration free shutter . Now the shutter has been heavily dampened to reduce noise , said to sound just like a traditional M film body, I mentioned like a M6 or 7 and said exactly like it. The shutter also will have a flash sync of 1/80 of a second and a top speed of 1/4000 of a second . Also It comes with a full 2 year warranty top to bottom and a sapphire LCD replacement for the LCD display which is 5x stronger than glass. This is for 1st owners only for the warranty, that part is sketchy

Here is the biggy. The M8 as it is today and in the future will have available upgrades into the future with new advancements in upgrading. Bottom line the M8 will always be a upgradable camera.

The cost and this is approximate because the market or whatever can change around 1800 US . The turn time is said to be 4 weeks and they mentioned they will give me a lot more details on Saturday with more information. i also mentioned the questions and they said please compile that so they can answer all of the questions. So please let's keep that question thread in order so i can compile all the data and get that going.

Please don't shoot me , I am trying to help provide as best the data as i can. Thanks Guy

LJL

Guy,
Thanks for the additional information. Really appreciate your keeping us informed with some of these interesting developments.

So, if you get the chance, press Leica about some of those other potential "option upgrades", especially around the sensor and electronics, as that seems to be "fair game" in what they are saying. There are a lot of very interesting questions on this stuff from folks here and on the LUF.

LJ

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Guy, for the update. I think we're pretty lucky to have this "inside scoop" information from someone we can trust.

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Thanks for the update Guy,

I'm a little confused though (as most non-Leica owners seem to be :ROTFL: :p

So this "upgrade" is in lieu of an M9 or the like (at least for now)?
This "upgrade" will run around $1800 but is only available to the original owner?
Will new M8 come with this upgrade, or will it have to be purchased separately?

Thanks!

Terry

As we get further along and get more information, it will be interesting to have a discussion on the pros and cons of replacing the shutter. For instance is giving up the 1/8000 and having a slower flash synch worth it for dampened sound what additional benefit is titanium over the current shutter.

Or for instance

Why get rid of a good glass scren now? Wait till you crack it?

Guy Mancuso

Thanks for the update Guy,

I'm a little confused though (as most non-Leica owners seem to be :ROTFL: :p

So this "upgrade" is in lieu of an M9 or the like (at least for now)?
This "upgrade" will run around $1800 but is only available to the original owner?
Will new M8 come with this upgrade, or will it have to be purchased separately?

Thanks!
I think you will see them both on the shelves at your local leica drug dealers

Guy Mancuso

Hi Guy,
The flash sync is 1/180...
The M8 will be available “New” with or without the upgrade...
Along with the upgrade comes a complete “CLA Equivalent”...

Maggie O

Wow, that's pretty cool news, all the way around.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to be alone with my M8.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I'm glad that the M8 will be upgradeable, but am really dismayed that it only appears to be upgradeable to original M8 owners. My email from Leica says:

"
How do I get the upgrade for my M8?

• This offer applies exclusively to all registered M8 users."

I feel that Leica is trying to suppress the used M8 market and that really goes against the grain with me.:angry: Am I the only person who is feeling this way? I can imagine what people who just bought used M8's are thinking!

Also, I'm on my third M8 since November, 2006. My current M8 is only 5 months old and doesn't need a CLA. I wouldn't mind paying for the extended warranty and shutter upgrade, but could care less about the screen. The worst part is that I have already been without an M8 three long time-periods (once for original update and twice while dead or defective cameras were turned around). I'm not looking forward to losing it for another month.

Last edited:

LJL

Question here: Cannot a person that bought a used M8 register their ownership of that camera with Leica? It may not be a new registration, but what about transfer of ownership? I understand that all of the original owner options may not be available, but the way I am reading this, what prevents somebody from contacting Leica and registering a used camera to their name, thus becoming a "registered M8 user"?

Sorry if I missed something from the initial registration packet, but most other camera companies permit folks to register a change of ownership. That usually does not cover warranty, but does make them eligible for firmware updates, any factory recalls, etc.

LJ

This sounds like really great news to me. I'm not (yet) an M8 owner, but the idea of upgradability is a good one, a real hedge against the usually short lifespan of even pro level digital cameras. I applaud them and look forward to the upshot of this program. I'm sure there'll be some hitches, but I bet it's a success overall.

S

Sean_Reid

I just spoke with Leica earlier this evening and I have some more information that's embargoed until tomorrow morning. It's mostly nothing dramatic, though, just some further details about the changes. I'll post that information here tomorrow and I will also be discussing it a short article that will be published tomorrow AM. It will answer some of the questions above.

What I can confirm tonight, though, is the firmware upgrades will, of course, continue to be available for free to M8 owners. The installation of firmware in the upgrade is just for the owner's convenience. All owners will continue to be able to update the firmware in their cameras.

Cheers,

Sean

T

texasrancher

Guy - Thanks for all the inside info postings here & on the LUF. Leica's perpetual upgrade concept is a welcome change from the ever accelerating obsolescence found in all other high tech digital camera lines. I can only hope that this initial step to break the cycle of instant devaluation by newly, and often only slightly improved models, will continue for a long enough time period to eventually lead to a full frame sensor replacement for the current one. The M8 is far from perfect, but it offers an intriguing alternative to the monster zooms of the D-SLRs. I, for one, welcome the passion for uncompromising lens design coupled with an unusual interest in maintaining compatibility of the "old" with the "new & improved."

PeterA

My M8ate has a mangled bottom plate, a bashed in side, original firmware, my 21 and 28 lens hoods are held together with rubber bands and gaffer tape and I know my vertical rangefinder alignment is out, it is a long way yet from needing any upgrade or fix or CLA - I dont care about the magenta issue, I dont care about marginal firmware upgrades, all I care about is a full frame version so my wides are wider and my 50 pre aspherical lux is a 50 not a 60 something - I love the raw files this little camera produces and I love my M series lenses - and no, I wouldnt put anything except a Leica lens on it - I cringe when I hear people talk about other manufacturers glass - the only reason for the existence of the leica bodies in any shape or form is to mount the M glass on them.

Sounds to me like they are softening up existing owners ( like me) for the M9 intro later this year so people dont complain too much. Means the M9 will be priced in the stratosphere as well...

Gus just ask them if there is a full frame coming and will it be made in Black Paint on request - I hate how I cant by a black paint version to match my MP.