The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New article: how to choose the best camera for you

peterm1

Hi Vieri - thanks for the reply - I totally understand your viewpoint. I also used the 17mm TS-E with the GFX, which helped me get down to around 13mm in 35mm terms, which is generally wide enough for me (although I used to have the Voigtlander 10mm which I used on occasion for crazy wide shots on my Sony A7RII). And yes, Leica lenses are fantastic and can provide a different look than the Fuji lenses, which I also found to be fantastic in their own way. I also sell large prints (40" x 60" and sometimes bigger), so larger resolution does help my work, and if they released a SL2 with more resolution and dynamic range I would indeed be tempted, because I really came to enjoy using the SL (and even liked the way it looked after initially thinking it was pretty ugly).

I did not love the form factor / bulkiness of the GFX, which is why I am waiting for them to announce the GFX-50R which will hopefully be a big improvement on that front.

One thing is for sure - we have amazing choices these days. Thanks again for the reply.

Best,

Peter

vieri

Hi Vieri - thanks for the reply - I totally understand your viewpoint. I also used the 17mm TS-E with the GFX, which helped me get down to around 13mm in 35mm terms, which is generally wide enough for me (although I used to have the Voigtlander 10mm which I used on occasion for crazy wide shots on my Sony A7RII). And yes, Leica lenses are fantastic and can provide a different look than the Fuji lenses, which I also found to be fantastic in their own way. I also sell large prints (40" x 60" and sometimes bigger), so larger resolution does help my work, and if they released a SL2 with more resolution and dynamic range I would indeed be tempted, because I really came to enjoy using the SL (and even liked the way it looked after initially thinking it was pretty ugly).

I did not love the form factor / bulkiness of the GFX, which is why I am waiting for them to announce the GFX-50R which will hopefully be a big improvement on that front.

One thing is for sure - we have amazing choices these days. Thanks again for the reply.

Best,

Peter
Hi Peter,

indeed, it's a great time to be doing photography - so much choice, and most of it good enough for the requirements of 99% of the photographers out there :)

The Canon 17mm is certainly an option, and I weighed it, but on the one end 14mm FOV equivalent is not 12mm or 10mm, and as my widest option I like to be able to go wider than 14mm; plus, is a large and heavy lens, hard to filter using 100mm filters on Medium Format - and being able to use 100mm filters with all my lenses is very important to me, I really don't want to have to use 150mm filters - and, talking about costs, it costs more than 2x the Laowa 12mm.

On a different note, I am glad to hear that you print! For me, photos really live only on paper, screens are just a poor substitute (but an invaluable tool to let us share our work with the world, of course). I also print and sell large prints, at the moment I have an exhibition open with prints of a minimum 60x90 cm printed area size, most of which have been created with the SL, and all of which printed beautifully despite the 24 Mp.

About the new SL, I am pretty sure than when it will come out it will have more resolution, and if it will offer around 45-50 Mp then it'll be amazing for my work (but also 36 mp would be a good enough improvement). Dynamic range I care less about, since I use filters all the time anyway, and since it is very unlikely that, with current technology, we'll get a quantum leap there.

Best regards,

Vieri