The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C-Lux.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Great review as always Jono!

Anyway in times of iPhoneX or other similarly capable smartphones the time for such cameras is gone - at least for me.

Peter

scott kirkpatrick

Nice, reasonable review. It makes the new C-Lux look like a great camera for someone who has noticed the limitations of their iPhone, but will still be using program mode and jpegs (there is one of those in every family) and needs to upload to WhatsApp rather frequently. For this class of camera the types and speed of linkage is probably an important part of describing usability. I was intrigued with your point about getting GPS info into the EXIFs from your phone over Bluetooth. Did that also work with the CL?

It seemed that your trip was a little early to get a good beach population, but the pictures may be more interesting for that. You certainly have a great rapport with the more senior goats.

jonoslack

Great review as always Jono!

Anyway in times of iPhoneX or other similarly capable smartphones the time for such cameras is gone - at least for me.

Peter
Sure Peter
But most of these couldn’t possibly have been taken with w phone (because of the focal length)

SrMphoto

Jono, thank you for the review.
I have the Panasonic TZ200 (similar to C-LUX). Its raw files (RW2) are quite nicely malleable. All in all a very nice camera, menus similar to G9, nice image quality, and surprisingly useful EVF.

Gillymaru

Some cracking good photos Jono and a great review of the camera and Crete. I will put the area you visited on my bucket list it sure looks like a great place to spend a week or two.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Read it too. Impressive little beast. Would have been something to consider if I didn't already have the GM5 (and another GM5 on the way :angel: :chug: ).

vieri

Great write up and images as always Jono, thank you very much indeed for sharing! :)

Somehow, every time I am reading one of your articles I end up wanting to buy the camera or lens you are talking about in said article - this time I will have to resist though, my Leica CL is great and I don't need a C-Lux; however, despite all the talks about the demise of compact cameras, I think that if one hasn't got a CL and is looking for an extremely small camera to complement their main gear, for the lens range & image quality it offers, then the C-Lux looks like a wonderful alternative.

Finally, I think that the camera is priced close enough to its Panasonic different brother to make it a most viable choice.

Thanks again! Best regards,

Vieri

Robert Campbell

Interesting travelogue and camera review, Jono. I'd guess that it might be a bit too hot for me there.

I'm curious about the WiFi/Bluetooth and GPS tagging. I have the CL which doesn't do GPS by itself.

Could you explain a bit more how to do this, please?

Thanks.

jonoslack

Interesting travelogue and camera review, Jono. I'd guess that it might be a bit too hot for me there.

I'm curious about the WiFi/Bluetooth and GPS tagging. I have the CL which doesn't do GPS by itself.

Could you explain a bit more how to do this, please?

Thanks.
Hi Robert
Nice in March - but certainly quite hot now (I like it!).

The app isn’t available yet, and it may be a little while before this works. Basically it should work the same way as the G9, which keeps a ‘low power bluetooth’ connection with your phone even when sleeping, and uses this to update the GPS position from your phone.

All the best

jonoslack

RWL not DNG

I’ve re-checked this with Leica (for the 3rd time) and they now tell me that actually the shipping firmware will not use DNG files for raw but RWL files.

I’ve corrected the article (and so have others who ran it). I’m very sorry for the misinformation - and I’m just as disappointed about it as others will be

Damn!
All the best
Jono

Robert Campbell

Re: RWL not DNG

I’ve re-checked this with Leica (for the 3rd time) and they now tell me that actually the shipping firmware will not use DNG files for raw but RWL files.

I’ve corrected the article (and so have others who ran it). I’m very sorry for the misinformation - and I’m just as disappointed about it as others will be

Damn!
All the best
Jono

That being so, the absence of DNG files, what is the advantage of the Leica over the equivalent Panasonic?

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Damn!
All the best
Jono
Not your fault Jono!

Leica did this in former times with their "entry level" Panasonic rebranded cameras - NO DNG - unfortunately :thumbdown:

Bernard

That being so, the absence of DNG files, what is the advantage of the Leica over the equivalent Panasonic?
If it's the same as previous re-branded Panasonic cameras, the Leica warranty is longer (3 years vs. 1 year?). The grip is also sometimes different, which may be less or more comfortable for you.
Subjectively, it looks better and is available in different finishes. Many will argue that looks don't matter, but photography is a visual art. We all have strong opinions on how things should look.

If you are already a Leica customer, you may prefer to buy from your Leica dealer rather than a Panasonic dealer. The extra $200 you spend on this camera could potentially get you a bigger discount on a future camera or lens purchase.

jonoslack

Typically the colour used to be different, but I don’t have the TZ200 to check. Then there is the resale value, which certainly keeps up better with the Leica (for much longer).

I guess you pays your money and makes your choice.
Pity about the DNG files though as that really would have been a deal maker