The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S Lens Focus Motor Issue - does it affect manual focus?

I just recently purchased a Leica S 120mm CS lens used. And it arrived with the focus motor not working. When it was sold to me they didn't say this was an issue, however the lens was packed pretty badly and the hood has a crack on it (also not noted).

The lens was a good deal.

But I have seen many people with the same issue and most of the people have said that the manual focus still works fine. This one however the manual focus has issues and is slipping at certain distances in which the focus ring will continue rotating and the lens will not change distance.

Has this happened to anyone else? Or is there an issue beyond the focus motor in my lens?

Also,
When I turn on the camera it sounds like it is moving autofocus for a long time - then it says "attention lens firmware update available"

Camera is set to 2.5.0 which is newest firmware for 006.

Not sure what is going on here....

erlingmm

I just recently purchased a Leica S 120mm CS lens used. And it arrived with the focus motor not working. When it was sold to me they didn't say this was an issue, however the lens was packed pretty badly and the hood has a crack on it (also not noted).

The lens was a good deal.

But I have seen many people with the same issue and most of the people have said that the manual focus still works fine. This one however the manual focus has issues and is slipping at certain distances in which the focus ring will continue rotating and the lens will not change distance.

Has this happened to anyone else? Or is there an issue beyond the focus motor in my lens?
My experience was that manual focus did not work when the AF failed. I would just send it in for repair.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Whether or not the MF works now, there're broken parts inside the lens. Get it fixed, and at the cost of some headache, you will have a spectacular lens at a very good price.

Matt