The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

is leica m ready for an evf?

Robert Campbell

This is easy, Robert.

I had both SL and CL in mind; I worked with the SL for three years, now work with the CL...

For whatever reason, I use my M lenses on my Ms, and I use my R lenses (as well as my couple of F-mount Nikkors) on my CL (when I had it, my SL as well). The ability to operate the camera smoothly and hold it steadily is one of the reasons my photos are sharp when I want them to be sharp, regardless of lens... :)

G
Thanks for the detailed description, Godfrey. I understand where you are coming from.

As pegelli suggests, 'muscle memory' must be part of why you are comfortable with one arrangement and not the other.

msadat

as nice as the m10-p is, I still want an EVF Leica m type 008.

on a different subject, the Leica finder in m10 has a different thread and none of the diopters work and u have a get a new ones. also no magnifires

Shashin

The problem with putting an EVF in an M is that it is no longer a rangefinder, the definition of an M camera.

KeithL

The problem with putting an EVF in an M is that it is no longer a rangefinder, the definition of an M camera.
That's exactly the point, it would no longer be an M or need to be called an M.

Leica can name it whatever they want, but if it's full frame, the same kind of size as an M with no rangefinder and a decent EVF - bump or not - I'd be very interested in it as an addition to my M.

Godfrey

That's exactly the point, it would no longer be an M or need to be called an M.

Leica can name it whatever they want, but if it's full frame, the same kind of size as an M with no rangefinder and a decent EVF - bump or not - I'd be very interested in it as an addition to my M.
That would be the mystical, rumored CM model that didn't materialize. L mount, adaptable to M lenses with the M Adapter L. Perhaps they'll do it some day soon. :D

G

KeithL

That would be the mystical, rumored CM model that didn't materialize. L mount, adaptable to M lenses with the M Adapter L. Perhaps they'll do it some day soon. :D

G
Yes, if the Leica fora are anything to go by there is pent-up demand for such a camera.

Godfrey

Yes, if the Leica fora are anything to go by there is pent-up demand for such a camera.
It would be a natural, if they can pull it off. I must say I'm delighted with the CL already and likely don't need it, but the lure of the larger sensor is always there. :D

G

vjr

Btw, since we're discussing the M, then it is probably is worth revisiting what the M in Leica M actually means: Meßsucher, which in this context translates to "rangefinder".
I hope that Leica will do an M size body with EVF. I have suggested same some couple of years ago on a Leica site and had my head nearly bitten off by the M crowd.
Simple, Leica should keep the M as is and call new camera whatever XYZ.

bab

Rumor has it a new Leica auto focus camera is coming this month, maybe not hand-made like the M. After owning several M’s and selling all I would look forward to a new M sized, feature rich but simplistic clone. Having a 45-50 mp sensor with the SL’s beautiful EVF. A built-in raw histogram in the EVF and a tilt screen would be all I would need to jump in with both feet. I think I’m being completely reasonable to expect such a camera and no the BRICK SL with its lenses and slow buffering won’t cut it...(but that’s common knowledge)