Site Sponsors

Thread: Official Leica Press Releases PMA 2008

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Official Leica Press Releases PMA 2008

Hot off the press folks.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Official Leica Press Releases PMA 2008

Just click on them and it will download to your computer. We really are geeks around here. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Huh??? they are announcing lenses already in production and an updated website?
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Read the bottom one Jack it is about the upgrade not sure why they included the Crons.

Post Thanks / Like

You have to wonder how many Board meetings it took to decide on those PMA press releases...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Read the bottom one Jack it is about the upgrade not sure why they included the Crons.
    Yes, I saw THAT one, but why even bother with the others --- I mean nothing there is news? Okay, maybe mention something at the end of the upgrade release like, "... and be sure to visit our freshly updated website," but re-hashing OLD news is a PR disaster in the making...
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

??? Scared me there for a minute.....I thought they were going to discontinue the 28 cron right when I was trying to find one.
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Yes, I saw THAT one, but why even bother with the others --- I mean nothing there is news? Okay, maybe mention something at the end of the upgrade release like, "... and be sure to visit our freshly updated website," but re-hashing OLD news is a PR disaster in the making...
    Really!! I had to go back and check the dates to make sure it was 2008, as it sounded more like 2007 when I started going through them until the M8 news.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the "official press release" Guy. I am underwhelmed, but that is OK my bank account needs a rest. I really like the idea of Leica of making the M8 upgradeable. However, the price for the initial upgrade package has me scratching my head considering what you get and realize it is about the same cost as a Nikon D300. I have to assume Leica priced the upgrade based on what they think the market will tolerate, not actual costs plus profit. I don't know if I will upgrade or not - I am leaning toward not.

Sean_Reid

Leica's show is always Photokina.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree and plan on going to Photokina this year if my schedule cooperates.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So, after recently plopping down my $3000ish for a new 28 'cron I was reading the press release with giant bulging bug eyes thinking a)you idiot b)why would they change a lens that has only gotten rave reviews c) what have they actually changed.

Update: my heart rate is back to normal but my brain is pretty scrambled to figure out why this was a press release!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was even debating why I threw it up there. But than someone would say i left it out , you know those people. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What gives? First Sigma with their 200-500/2.8 which was announced last year and *cough* again this year (but now it comes in "Hulk-is-mad" Green). And now Leica?

Is it to make up for not enough news in our new "got to have it ten minutes ago-immediate gratification" culture?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Oy gevalt, did you see Leica's awful new website? It gives Dancing Bologna a bad name. Hell, it gives "pretentious and vacuous" a bad name!

Capsule review: "NOW IST DE TIME ON SPROCKETS ZAT VEEE DANSE!!!"

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually, the first 3 pages posted here do not look like press release material, maybe it is just part of the literature they have on hand for PMA. The last 2 pages are clearly press releases.

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The upgrade program for the M8 is "perpetual". Does this signal that they have discovered a way to fit a full frame sensor in the M8 body (or think they can solve that riddle for future upgrades) or will the M8 always be a crop sensor camera and a full frame camera will have to be a different model?

I can hardly wait for photokina now and the unveiling of the R10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Personally, I still like the idea of the upgrade path. I can beat up my existing M8 and for about 1/4 the cost of a new one, get a new, quieter shutter installed, the LCD glass replaced with a scratch-proof option and a full 2-year warranty. So while the "upgrade" may not make sense for me now, it might in another year or two... Not bad
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can fully agree with you on that version, Jack, and I very much hope that you are right.
    If in two years, when my present warranty runs out, I am free to pick exactly the preferred upgrade among several released upgrades and at the same time get another two years warranty, then it makes sense to pay the money, provided (!) a buyer can take over this possibility if at some point I choose to sell the camera.
    It is very important that the possibilities follow the registered camera (by serial number) and its life cycle, and not a registered owner. Otherwise you can become trapped with a unsaleable camera.
    And it is very important that you can choose to pick the preferred upgrade without necessarily having to do all the upgrades in a row.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Frankly, the above fits with Leica's historical philosophy: Non-obsolescence of any M camera; they've never cared in the past who the original purchaser was, only who was paying for the work
    Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Frankly, the above fits with Leica's historical philosophy: Non-obsolescence of any M camera; they've never cared in the past who the original purchaser was, only who was paying for the work
    . . and I'm sure they won't now - as long as they're making a profit from the updates, then why would they limit it . . . and if they aren't making a profit . . . why would they do it!

I think it's a great idea, and if the updates seem expensive, then the 2 year warranty makes it quite a good idea.

I'm planning to do one body (for quiet low light) and save the other for bright light where 8000 may be useful.

Just this guy you know

Huwge

Jono - I think that is the option I follow, I just can't make my mind up as to whether to buy my 2nd body now or wait until a "new" one becomes available.

It would really help if we could get some indication on the price separation between old-new and new-new. Given the problems some people have had I am reluctant to buy 2nd hand, preferring the security of the warranty included with nwe and refurb models.

As is, the shopping list includes a new printer (probably Epson 2400) and I guess I will have to bite the bullet and find a 28 'cron, if only to see whether it is worth the rave reviews. I love my 24 and the my 35 lux has the speed but sometimes it is not possible to use the foot zoom to get the right framing.

Huw

Digital Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Huwge View Post
    ...I love my 24 and the my 35 lux has the speed but sometimes it is not possible to use the foot zoom to get the right framing.

Huw
    Sorry, I'm still rather new so what is a "foot zoom"?
    Regards,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the foot zoom is much like Robert Capa's admonition: " If your photos are not strong enough, move closer." DR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dude View Post
    Sorry, I'm still rather new so what is a "foot zoom"?
    Walking forward or backward to change framing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    Walking forward or backward to change framing.
    "foot zoom" new to me!

i pictured holding the camera steady while using one of my foot to adjust the lens, or something like this.

EDIT: so i've been foot zooming forever and never knew it!