The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The 40 1.2 vs 50 1.5 Zeiss

I have been thinking of picking this up. I searched and nothing came up, so I am wondering if anyone here has used that lens?

I have also been considering the Zeiss 50 1.5, or do I just save a few more pennies and get the 50 Lux ASPH?

If you have some images with the 40 1.2 or any fast fifty, post them and sell me on the glass!

Thanks!

Chris C

I have been thinking of picking this up. I searched and nothing came up, so I am wondering if anyone here has used that lens?

I have also been considering the Zeiss 50 1.5, or do I just save a few more pennies and get the 50 Lux ASPH?
Jason– Hi. There's not too much about the Voigtlander 40–M f1.2 on the 'net. Mr. Huff has waxed lyrically on it, but I don't consider him a reviewer. There's a little info in the Leica User Forum [LUF], I can't remember if that's in the M10 forum, or the Lens forum. But the lens is a close variant of the Sony fit version, and there's a massive thread on that lens in Fred Miranda's Sony forum. The thread gives the Sony mount version severe examinations of it's strengths and weaknesses, and if you are serious about the M version, then you can learn a lot about the lens' behaviour there. From memory, and not a reliable one at that, the lens presents some challenges for rangefinder focusing, especially it's focus shift and field curvature. There may be a parallel thread on the Fred Miranda forum for the M mount version. If you can work with the lens' characteristics, with either rangefinder or [M] EVF focusing, it is clearly a very capable lens.

Keep digging, and good luck.

................ Chris

pgmj

Don’t forget the Voigtlander 50/1.5 VM, it’s a great lens. Also the coming 50/1.2 might be interesting.