The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M10-P

jonoslack

Hi There
The M10-P is not just a pretty face, it also has
1. a much quieter shutter
2. a touchscreen
3. a level gauge

Here is my take on it:

M10-P

airfrogusmc

Hi There
2. a touchscreen
3. a level gauge

Here is my take on it:

M10-P
Hi Jono,

I always enjoy your reviews. I think they are some of the best period. Thanks for post the link. This review is no exception. I to think the M10 shutter is pretty quite. When I use my M-E or original MM aftershooting with the M 10 for a while they sound so loud it is a bit of a surprise. I would imagine after shooting the M10 P and going back to the M 10 it might be a similar experience?

I could only guess there is probably an M 10 Mono in the works and if there is I might have to open the wallet again. OUCH....

Thanks again for the link and the review.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Jono,

great review as always - this M10-P seems to be really the culmination of (digital) Leica M cameras to date :thumbs:

Best

Peter

jonoslack

Hi Jono,

I always enjoy your reviews. I think they are some of the best period. Thanks for post the link. This review is no exception. I to think the M10 shutter is pretty quite. When I use my M-E or original MM aftershooting with the M 10 for a while they sound so loud it is a bit of a surprise. I would imagine after shooting the M10 P and going back to the M 10 it might be a similar experience?

I could only guess there is probably an M 10 Mono in the works and if there is I might have to open the wallet again. OUCH....

Thanks again for the link and the review.
Thank you, Thank you so much!

Hmm - I've shot the M10p and gone back to the M10, and it doesn't sound so loud - of course there might be circumstances when you want a really really quiet shutter, but although I think this is a really good advance . . . . I'm not sure that I was having much trouble with the sound of the M10. As for the M10mono - I would have thought it was almost inevitable, but probably not for a while!

Thanks again for the kind words.

all the best
Jono

jonoslack

Jono,

great review as always - this M10-P seems to be really the culmination of (digital) Leica M cameras to date :thumbs:

Best

Peter
Thank you Peter
I think it's great that they still apply their imagination to M upgrades. I think there will be more to come.

best
Jono

GMB

Thanks for the "review". I am sure the M 10-P is a great camera but at least for me not worth the upgrade from the M 10. I am curious to compare the shutter noise life. Having said this, I never felt the shutter noise of the M 10 to be an issue.

Chris C

Jono – Hi. Thank you for your article. I read it with mixed feelings because I greatly need an electronic level gauge, but my M10 will [apparently] never have one, and I'm in no position to fork out for an M10-P. The quieter shutter is an interesting development, and maybe with tripod use I might have limited interest in a touchscreen, but it's the level which is the most interesting facility in the 'P'. Of the three changes I'd love, to make my M10 a 10x better camera than it is, the 'P' level ticks one box. Those who get an M10–P – I hope it meets their needs.

Best wishes to you.

........... Chris

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi There
2. a touchscreen
3. a level gauge

Here is my take on it:

M10-P
Stellar review!

I am so glad that you added the sound clip .... saves me from wanting one ... other than the classic styling.

And may I say that your wife gets more beautiful with each passing year and review. Wonderful smile.

Hope you all are well and enjoying the summer at home.

Best regards,

Bob

rayyen

Great review Jono!
Looking forward to see more special version coming:
M10P safari, M10P solid titan, but the most I want is M10P Monochrom 😝

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi There
2. a touchscreen
3. a level gauge

Here is my take on it:

M10-P
Nice review, Jono. All I would have needed to know about the camera should I stumble across enough cash to buy one :thumbup:

Oh... and those photos... excelent work. They make me miss Europe :)

Last edited:

kuau

Workshop Member
Jono – Hi. Thank you for your article. I read it with mixed feelings because I greatly need an electronic level gauge, but my M10 will [apparently] never have one, and I'm in no position to fork out for an M10-P. The quieter shutter is an interesting development, and maybe with tripod use I might have limited interest in a touchscreen, but it's the level which is the most interesting facility in the 'P'. Of the three changes I'd love, to make my M10 a 10x better camera than it is, the 'P' level ticks one box. Those who get an M10–P – I hope it meets their needs.

Best wishes to you.

........... Chris
Why can’t Leica implement the electronic level gauge on the M10? Sounds like a possible FW update? Oh well probably not

D&A

Why can’t Leica implement the electronic level gauge on the M10? Sounds like a possible FW update? Oh well probably not
Hi Steven,

Apparently (and unfortunately) it cannot be implemented via a firmware update. One option to circumvent this is to simply win the lottery (at least for me). Problem then solved! :).

Excellent writeup as usual Jono and much appreciated.

Dave (D&A)

First of all, thanks Jono! Very informative as usual.

On the whole the new M10-p looks like a very nice camera and if I were buying M now, this would be my first choice.

But since I already have the M10, there’s exactly zero reason to ”upgrade”. I have no need for touch screen, level would be nice to have, quieter shutter is not something I feel the need for - but naturally wouldn’t object either. Rest is pretty much cosmetics.

So pinnacle of M yes, worthy upgrade no.

scott kirkpatrick

Jono, great review as usual! The M10-P takes just as good pictures as the M-10 in your hands, perhaps even better.

Leica does a level indicator accurate to 1 degree, and this requires several tiny electronic components that simply were not thought needed in the M-10 and thus were left out previously. Jono's grumble that "who needs a level when the sea at the horizon is available" sounds like the bias of a coast-watcher. Shooting with wide angle lenses around elegant buildings I find that the vertical elevation indicator is even more useful to keep from having to do elaborate de-keystone corrections. The M10-P apparently has an easier to see elevation indicator than do the SL and CL, so this seems like a nice advance.

jonoslack

Stellar review!

I am so glad that you added the sound clip .... saves me from wanting one ... other than the classic styling.

And may I say that your wife gets more beautiful with each passing year and review. Wonderful smile.

Hope you all are well and enjoying the summer at home.

Best regards,

Bob
Hi There Bob
I'm glad to save you the money for the upgrade. I'll pass on your kind words to Emma - she'll be chuffed (and I couldn't agree more).
We certainly have been enjoying the summer - lovely to have a 'real' one for a change!

All the best
Jono

Chris C

Steven – Hello. Jono is a very polite correspondent, most people here are very polite. I try to be polite but don't always succeed, and that's the case in my thoughts on the M10 design. I hate bodging; and I have stated before that my M10 was close to being my Stradivarious for life, but the designers turned it into a trombone by bodging the last, but important aspects of the camera which are important for visually literate photographers. Perhaps the roots of that are in everyone believing they are photographers? It seems it's the case with the M design team [who, ironically, in photographs of them and like their boss and company owner, don't seem to be able to hold an M camera level]. I really don't want a camera to be designed by people thinking they are photographers; I'd prefer them to be the best designers designing an instrument for the best photographers. I do not believe that is happening. I consider the omission of a level in the M10 to be design vandalism.

The visual information mess [which still cannot be turned off] one has to endure in live view to have a histogram demonstrates little design understanding that coherent photography is often a concentrated discipline of stripping away clutter which would weaken the the photographic impact. To try and maintain visual discipline amidst the EVF distractions showing what I've set, and therefore know and have no need to be distracted by, is a designer inflicted pain when I'm working. The viewfinder clutter effects my visual decluttering of the world I photograph.

And as much as I'd like to, I'll refrain from banging on about about those absurd [never to be used by me] twinned framelines and offering those of us to whom it is important a 28/35/50 clean-view set of framelines. Wasn't that good enough for Ralph Gibson? Until the day I see Peter Karbe or Dr. Kaufmann wearing glasses with etched rectangles on them, I'll know that putting an unwanted rectangle in my field of view when I'm constructing a photograph is an absurd, distracting, agressive imposition.

Here endeth my restrained impoliteness.

............ Chris

DB5

Wonderful review Jono, I always look forward to them and on release I went straight to your site! No fuss or fluff and with lots of gorgeous pictures, thanks.

I'm in the camp that is divided my the M10. It's taken away the things I need and want and that has been quite upsetting. I'm not an SL type of guy either so am considering the Hasselblad X which seems to tick all the boxes for me.

What is most frustrating is that in every other way the M10 seems the best M yet. Necessity is unfortunately the old matron of my domain but I have enjoyed my time with the M.

airfrogusmc

Here's what I think. In my opinion the perfect camera for everyone will never be made. The thing I like so much about Leica is they keep making cameras that no one else will make. The M-D, the MM and the M 10 are all examples. In my opinion and for me the M 10 has to much automation and to much stuff in the menu. If I wanted a one size fits all camera I would still be shooting with a Canon, Nikon or maybe a Sony. All fine cameras but are all a lot a like. The reasons I like Leica M is they are not anything like those cameras the others are cranking out. Live view, EVF, image stabilization exposure compensation are all things that I don't need and though the M 10 has LV and EC are things I never use. If I needed video I would buy a video camera I certainly wouldn't use a rangefinder do it. What Leica M really excelled at is what I use mine for. Fast paced candid, in close intimate candid type work, portraits formal and environmental and for my personal work the streets.

Leica M cameras are not and in my opinion should not be one size fits all cameras. There are a boat load of those already out there and probably less expensive. I like manual focus lenses with really useful DoF scales. I like manual exposure. I like finding the moment instead of blasting my way through it. I have shot manual for 40 years. Experience and knowledge allows me to be able to expose and make photographs that look like my photographs far better than any automation. As long as Leica keeps making cameras like the M 10, M-D and MM I will remain a Leica photographer. They have had some success being just what I have mentioned and not trying to be what everyone else is. So if you are like me it is nice to have a real choose in the one size fits all world already out there.

I have no plans to upgrade from the M 10 to the M 10 P. Looking forward to seeing what the rumored MM looks like. I will be selling my M-E and picking up another M 10 close to the end of the year but it will not be a M 10 P.

Last edited:

Shashin

In my opinion the perfect camera for everyone will never be made.
But hopefully, the perfect camera for me will be...

Actually, as soon as someone makes the perfect camera and everyone buys it, I will not want it. I find the the more perfect a camera is, the less appealing it becomes. In that regards, cameras and tourist destinations hold the same appeal...