The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

leica l mount lives and thrives!!

msadat

a very cool thing that Panasonic and sigma will be partners with Leica and building lenses and cameras

Lictor

a very cool thing that Panasonic and sigma will be partners with Leica and building lenses and cameras
I think this suddenly becomes the most interesting FF mount since you can have three bodies, each with completely different aspects.

A special look of a full frame Foveon, probably the best video mirrorless camera from Panasonic, and a Leica to excel in lowlight and with that Leica colour palette. Just Leica in my opinion needs to reinvent the SL a little.

Since SL has thin cover glass to enable as much compatibility with M mount lenses, probably the others will follow suit and also give better results with Leica lenses than the competition. So, for anybody having Leica glass, this is a no brainer.

I think this suddenly becomes the most interesting FF mount since you can have three bodies, each with completely different aspects.

A special look of a full frame Foveon, probably the best video mirrorless camera from Panasonic, and a Leica to excel in lowlight and with that Leica colour palette. Just Leica in my opinion needs to reinvent the SL a little.

Since SL has thin cover glass to enable as much compatibility with M mount lenses, probably the others will follow suit and also give better results with Leica lenses than the competition. So, for anybody having Leica glass, this is a no brainer.
It's not a no brainer until someone actually tests the performance of the M lenses on the Panasonic and Sigma cameras to confirm they perform as well as on the SL.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Just imagine a Leica lens on a full-frame Foveon sensor...
Nice idea BUT
Lictor - there are advantages of a thicker cover glass (less IR issue, less visible dust on sensor, less prone to damage etc.). There is no reason why Panasonic would do this so that they would sell less lenses! (mind you, I don't know this to be the case).

As for M lenses on Foveon - nice idea, but the Foveon sensor with it's 3 layers really needs the light to fall vertically . . . which of course it doesn't with M lenses.

But then - I'll be happy to be stuck with the SL2

Best

scott kirkpatrick

Just imagine a Leica lens on a full-frame Foveon sensor...
Putting a Leica M 21 to 28 mm lens on anything but an M sensor strikes me as a pretty bad idea, but...

Foveon does produce very subtle color renderings. Although they cite "effective" resolutions of 48 MPx, their pixels are about 4.2 microns on a side and there are 24M of them on an APS-H (1.35x factor) chip. So if they go to full frame by making their pixels bigger, that would be great, and more lenses would work with such a sensor. If they decide to stick with their 4.2 micron pixels and have a lot more of them, which is the more likely outcome I'm afraid, it would be pretty hard to use with M lenses. But I'd be wiling to slap a medium to tele R lens onto a new Foveon camera if I could just use my R to L adapter, and the results should be pretty nice.

msadat

it will be very interesting to see how nice Panasonic and sigma would be to Leica m lenses. i think the best thing for the me is a M like camera with evf built for the m lenses

iiiNelson

it will be very interesting to see how nice Panasonic and sigma would be to Leica m lenses. i think the best thing for the me is a M like camera with evf built for the m lenses
Maybe Leica will finally release a Q style body with a L-Mount to make - well everyone that likes Leica and loves Mirrorless happy. Seems like a no brainer that would stay sold out for years.

V

Vivek

I would very much like that designed by Pentax along the line of their mirrorless camera. :LOL:

Maybe Leica will finally release a Q style body with a L-Mount to make - well everyone that likes Leica and loves Mirrorless happy. Seems like a no brainer that would stay sold out for years.