The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEW M camera by Zenith?

B L

I think there seems to be a genuine error on Leica side where media reports suggest that the association is with Zenith of Russia.
Speculation: Error correction, the association might be with Zenith of Switzerland in that case the cost of new Zenith M is expected to be much higher than Leica M.

NB: Admins, please change the title of this thrtead to "Fun With Zenith Digital" after the launch.
In the mean time,plrase upload photos taken using Zenith. Thanks.

Bernard

It is a limited edition for oligarchs, and a few collectors. As with all Leica special editions, people are outraged at first. Then they get used to it. Five years later you hear the same Leicaphiles saying "wish I had bought one, look how much they sell for now!"

I am more intrigued in the lens. Will they make a regular production run? Is it coded? Russia is capable of the best and the worse in optics, so it could be quite interesting.

DB5

I think there seems to be a genuine error on Leica side where media reports suggest that the association is with Zenith of Russia.
Speculation: Error correction, the association might be with Zenith of Switzerland in that case the cost of new Zenith M is expected to be much higher than Leica M.

NB: Admins, please change the title of this thrtead to "Fun With Zenith Digital" after the launch.
In the mean time,plrase upload photos taken using Zenith. Thanks.
It's ZENIT. Not Zenith.

ZENIT the Russian camera company.

scho

Why is Leica cooperating with a Russian company to produce a knock-off of their M? I still think that Zeiss should have produced a digital Ikon rangefinder, but the time for that has long passed.

The camera is meaningless for me, as I have the M10. BUT I’ll be looking at the 35/1.0 for sure. See when we get some reviews out etc.

Hopefully it’ll be priced like Voigtlander instead of like Leica.

The camera is meaningless for me, as I have the M10. BUT I’ll be looking at the 35/1.0 for sure. See when we get some reviews out etc.

Hopefully it’ll be priced like Voigtlander instead of like Leica.
I was told that the second batch of the 35/1.0 will be ready to ship without the camera next year. It’s no Leica and it would not priced as a Leica.

Zenit shop can be found at
https://www.zenit.photo
https://zenit.camera - the pre-order Page.
https://yadi.sk/d/ejcU_qotJomHXw - raw files
I was also told that the new Zenit-M camera will not be distributed in the USA.

Yevgeny

DB5

You can see pictures with it on Matt Grangers Photokina videos.

They look indicative of a cheap russian lens and pretty bad in my opinion. What Leica is thinking with this is beyond me.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Now you guys sound a bit lke the hordes at dpr: "I don't want or need it, so it must be bad."

I think it looks pretty cool, a real retro design as opposed to all the polished Fuji and Olympus bodies out there. This is what cameras really looked like back in the day.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
In a recent video an engineer from Zenith mentions the camera plus the 1/35 lens would sell in Europe for €5500.-

If that is true then the price of that combo is pretty attractive - although I still would not buy one :cool:

tcdeveau

Its definitely a :wtf: in my book but I still think it's kind of neat. If I were in the market, for the asking price, I'd rather just buy the 35mm 1.0 lens and find a second-hand M/MP 240. Shrug.

If that is true then the price of that combo is pretty attractive - although I still would not buy one :cool:
Attractive to whom? I don't understand the demographic. Probably good they are only making 500 of them. 501 will be claimed as sold out to overwhelming demand.

Knorp

Anybody read Ruski?
Well, I guess we could politely ask our GetDPI forum member Yevgeny, who apparently happens to live in Moscow, to give us a hand.
But you could also select EN at the bottom of the Zenit webpage ... :mad:

Well, I guess we could politely ask our GetDPI forum member Yevgeny, who apparently happens to live in Moscow, to give us a hand.
But you could also select EN at the bottom of the Zenit webpage ... :mad:
Sure, I will help with the translation. Just need direction to the part you want me to translate.

Yevgeny

Last edited: