The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEW M camera by Zenith?

Frankly

It may be a rebadged Leica but to keep it authentic the Zenit factory will supply a case made from urine-tanned horsehide, just like the good old days.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If the price would be at around 30% of original Leica I could understand - but at the price point of around 4K€ that was discussed for camera only I do not see the market. A used M Type240 in excellent condition is available for that and that is original Leica and plenty of second hand bodies are available now. :wtf:

Knorp

If the price would be at around 30% of original Leica I could understand - but at the price point of around 4K€ that was discussed for camera only I do not see the market. A used M Type240 in excellent condition is available for that and that is original Leica and plenty of second hand bodies are available now. :wtf:
It's a limited series, so hurry while stocks last ... :rolleyes:

• production will be limited to 500 copies, to be sold exclusively in Russia and Europe
  • Zenit was responsible for the external design, and everything else is done at Wetzlar
  • the Zenitar 35mm F1.0 is designed and built entirely in Krasnagorsk

ptomsu

Workshop Member
It's a limited series, so hurry while stocks last ... :rolleyes:

• production will be limited to 500 copies, to be sold exclusively in Russia and Europe
  • Zenit was responsible for the external design, and everything else is done at Wetzlar
  • the Zenitar 35mm F1.0 is designed and built entirely in Krasnagorsk
Well, I still wonder about these business strategies from Leica .....

atanabe

Well, I still wonder about these business strategies from Leica .....
Could this be the “Lunar” for the Leica company? One way to reduce inventory of unsold cameras, but it erodes the brand. The alliance with Panasonic and Sigma open the door to the L mount at what cost to sales of their cameras and lenses? A lackluster S3 upgrade after 4 years, more pixels in the same body. Trying to read the tea leaves through the steam.

V

Vivek

It is the reverse Lunar of Leica.

Strategy is simple: give them enough cash and they would produce a version you want. They have done this before and will do it again as long as they exist.

As the name implies, perhaps this is the best they can do.

It completely baffles me that Leica is involved in this venture, and it completely baffles me that anyone would want to buy this camera, particularly at the suggested price.

atanabe

It is the reverse Lunar of Leica.

Strategy is simple: give them enough cash and they would produce a version you want. They have done this before and will do it again as long as they exist.

As the name implies, perhaps this is the best they can do.
Yes, they have done limited editions, LHSA and Leica dealers get custom finishes, leather or even tooling. But slapping another brand name, that is a new one.

bensonga

It is hard to understand why Leica would do this deal and risk diluting their brand.

Perhaps there was something Leica really needs which the company that produces Zenit cameras (Krasnogorsky Zavod) or more likely it's parent company (Shvabe Holding) has. What could that be? Shvable also owns LZOS, a Russian company that makes VERY high end glass for use in demanding astronomical and other (photographic?) applications. Of course, I don't know where Leica gets the glass for the apochromatic elements in its best lenses. A good friend of mine who knows how hard it is to get the glass that LZOS makes for very expensive telescopes speculated that this could be a factor in Leica's decision to make the Zenit M cameras....if Leica gets any of its raw glass from LZOS.

Otherwise, I agree with K-H and others here....it seems like a crazy decision on Leica's part.

Gary

Last edited:

Shashin

A Zenith camera at Leica prices is kind of a disconnect in my mind... Now if Lomo has picked up on that idea...