The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's up with this M10D?

Godfrey

Maybe the film-advance lever charges the battery?...
I very strongly doubt that that is at all possible. I see no way that a wind-up capacitor/battery could possibly supply all the power required by a state of the art 24Mpixel imager sensor and its supporting electronics for even a single exposure without having to wind it a couple of hundred times.

I have what is supposed to be a state of the art wind up flashlight, capable of burning a very efficient and reasonably bright LED bulb for up to two hours on a fully wound up charge. It takes about ten minutes of vigorously working the charging mechanism for it to achieve even a half charge on the battery and power the lamp for more than thirty minutes. It's not bad for an emergency light when all your other batteries are dead and there's no mains power to recharge them... But if I have to work that hard to make a photo, I'm just going to grab one of my all mechanical cameras and stick a roll of film in it. :)

Shashin

I very strongly doubt that that is at all possible.
You just need to exercise that thumb muscle. (Or I was not being serious...)

It is probably to help M film users hang out with their friends without felling like a sellout. It will probably not work as I find most Leica enthusiasts really good at spotting models at a glance. Without removing the gaffer's tape, can you spot the difference between an M4-2 and an M4-P from across the room? Quite spooky really.

PeterA

Leica M has a unique position in the camera world because it has had a tremendously loyal and relatively well heeled customer base to draw upon - people who have been prepared to pay massive premium for what used to be significant advantages in the M glass over any competitor product. These days the value proposition is a harder sell to prospective new recruits and the benefits of new technology compress the value proposition that M glass offered. Pumping out variants of the same thing isn't going to change things much - except on internet forums.

After decades of Leica fanboy fun - I'm not investing any more in Leica M glass or even SL primes- I can't see any reason to tbh - SoCaNikon aren't really a threat to Leica's positioning they all offer similar product. no - the switch (ironically) is to even lower priced competition in apc OR to super ff chips like the systems being pumped out by Fuji.

For happy snaps of high quality - the benefits of autofocus/IBIS etc etc etc can be delivered by a plethora of 20% of the cost of similar Leica products. For high megapixel work with all the modern technologies- Leica can't compete - but they aren't alone.

I can understand all the funny jokes about rewind levers charging batteries or lack of back screen in order to clear inventory of EVF viewfinders- which are pathetically low end ....like all good jokes - they are grounded in honesty which might offend.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Leica ownership isn t about having the very best specifications for the $. Having just returned from a Leica Akademie trip thru Germany and visiting the new Wetzler campus .....I really enjoy my Leica gear . :cool: