The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M10-D mini-review

^ actually having both options available would be great. There shouldn’t be any settings that couldn’t be set in camera. Point being if the camera is used for years and years, who knows wether Leica keeps upgrading the phone software.

Would hate to be in a situation where the current phone couldn’t have the leica app installed and that would limiy my use of the camera. Would end up having a ”dedicated settings phone”... :wtf:

iiiNelson

The M-D typ 262 (that's the instruction manual I took the firmware update page from) does not support WiFi at all, so can't talk to phones or anything else. When you put storage cards into it, it expects them to be ready to use. Since you cannot review what's on them, it has no facility to delete or format them.

It is its own machine, complete unto itself, ready for storage, power, and a lens to be put to use. It has no camera configuration options other than to set the date and time, and upload firmware. All other controls are the traditional: focus, set exposure, frame, release shutter. Plus frame-line selector, self-timer, and 2fps continuous sequence mode. Just the essentials.

:D

G
I would probably include formatting memory cards in camera as an essential for me but other than that it’s an interesting concept... well at least in theory.

Godfrey

Well isn’t this special...

While I wait for a fix for my M10’s orientation sensor, Leica comes out with yet another $8,000 camera, gives it to a photo enthusiast to “review” and adds a cute little film advance lever to it that does utterly nothing.

This is truly getting ridiculous. WTF?
What's the problem with your M10's orientation sensor?

scott kirkpatrick

OK, back to the M10-D. Its instruction manuals and the QuickStart guides are now online at
http://en.leica-camera.com/Service-...y=93710&subcategory=153183&type=&language=all
. To me the most interesting things are not in the manuals. For many aspects of the camera, the default setting is given, and there is a little icon which says that changes may be made through the FOTOS app. But not yet. We'll have to wait and see how many of these are actually delivered.

If after, at some future time, changing all the settings to suit your purposes, you want to reset the M10-D to its native state, just hold both buttons down simultaneously and count out five seconds.

V

Vivek

Thanks, folks. :)

Perhaps Leica should add a tips and tricks section to their manual at the expense of the minimalism.

(Sort of like the "Sunny 16" exposure guide)

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
In my day it was, Kodachrome one, Kodachrome two, Kodachrome three...
This thread has been hi-jacked by The Time Lord.

Nah, Kodachrome was too slow, only 25 ASA.

I just did a quick scientific test counting to 10.

Kodak timed at 10.03.

Kodachrome timed at 10.82, but I kept getting tongue-tied:banghead:

Charles2

The M-D typ 262 (that's the instruction manual I took the firmware update page from) does not support WiFi at all, so can't talk to phones or anything else. When you put storage cards into it, it expects them to be ready to use. Since you cannot review what's on them, it has no facility to delete or format them. ...
For what it is worth, you could presumably put a Toshiba W-4 WiFi SD card in the camera. I did that with an M240.

Godfrey

Back to the M10-D ... Wrote this on another forum:

As I reflect on this thread and all the many words and ideas in it, it occurs to me that the M10-D is a bit different in concept and notion from the M Edition 60 and M-D typ 262.

The M Edition 60 was a commemorative special, to honor 60 years of the Leica M, and the attempt was to build a special that was as close to an M3 was in its minimalistic essence as possible. As a very limited run, special edition, it was never expected to sell many units at the very elevated price for a complete package, and of course it was likely considered to be purchased mainly as a collectible and used rarely.

But the minimalistic camera concept was so appealing to many who might have bought such a body at a lower price that it inspired Leica to make the M-D typ 262. Now that camera was a much easier to develop "take a 262 standard production body, remove all but the minimums in configuration, remove the LCD and all the now unnecessary buttons and controls—much like the ME60—for those that wanted such a camera and who meant to use it like they would any standard production camera. The M-D sold well for a special, and a limited feature model, but the draw in this day and age is features and the M-D lacks many features that the market seems to not want to let go of.

The M10-D at its essence is much more a standard M10-P model, with most of the M10-P feature set, lacking only the LCD and associated button controls necessary to configure all the inner workings of the M10-P. The crux of the user experience gained by a camera without LCD, buttons, and setting distractions is thus achieved, and all the settings functions of the M10 are deferred to an app that communicates with the body when reconfiguration is desired, or review of images in storage is required. But the notion isn't the minimalism posed by the ME60 or M-D262, the notion is a full featured camera that doesn't have the issues that LCD and button controls crowding the surfaces of the body pose, and the distractions thereof.

As I've said before, I am very glad I have the M-D262. If I buy another M as companion to it, I can accept the M10-D, or M10-P, or M10 all of them from this perspective, and probably prefer the M10-D because I'll find its less cluttered body easier to hold and more familiar to me. It's closer to the M camera paradigm that I've lived with for most of my life.

However, the "thumb rest" will still have to go. Ten minutes with a Dremel Moto Tool and it's history.
G

Photon42

For what it is worth, you could presumably put a Toshiba W-4 WiFi SD card in the camera. I did that with an M240.
Just for fun I tried a Wifi SD card with my MD 262. It does work, however the MD only creates RAW files. It takes forever to send them over.

Godfrey

Just for fun I tried a Wifi SD card with my MD 262. It does work, however the MD only creates RAW files. It takes forever to send them over.
I managed to get my Eye-Fi SD WiFi card to work and tested it some time ago in the M-D. It performed at a leisurely pace (about 45 seconds per file) but that wasn't why I stopped using it. I stopped using it ages before because it just doesn't connect reliably enough to be worth the bother.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
WARNING: Play nice folks, lest a few of you get a timeout...

IOW carry on KINDLY, and know the mods are watching and will moderate all offenders if/when things get out of hand...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
As I am watching too from Canterbury.
I also had a chance to handle the camera at Jono’s Home and actually it is a lot more comfortable than a thumbs-up that plugs up the hot shoe. So if you like carrying your camera that way it is a real good option. If not then I guess you might scratch your head and wonder.
-bob

Last edited: