The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Limited to 60 pieces

rayyan

Hi pegelli. Hope all goes well with you and your loved ones.

Why Leica?
And you are correct coz this is a photography forum.

But I, personally, do not use my camera in a vacuum. I wear clothes, sneakers, shoes etc. when I take my camera for an outing.
Whether I am at home or abroad, I am in an environment. In a society. It just so happens that I, and I presume, most of those on this forum live in a capitalist/consumer driven society.

As such, it is very difficult for me not to spend what I consider considerable sums of money on things which I can also buy much cheaper. Most of us use credit cards, although we realize that such spending could be detrimental. To some. But we do it either out of necessity or to buy or borrowed money. That is how the economy works, in most places. Is that bad taste?

I am glad..very glad, that Leica got themselves out of financial trouble. And hopefully, they continue to be prosperous.

If that meant opening boutique shops next to LV..more power to them. Bad taste? I don't believe so.
Just simple marketing and targeting people who buy their products.

Take care.

Because this is a photography forum, none of the other examples you mention have anything to do with photography ;)

On a more serious note, I get what you are saying and respect that, just like I respect the opinions of the people who think this is over the top.

My position is simple, as long as there are people buying this stuff there's no reason for Leica not to produce them.
The reasons people buy them are not important for me, everybody is free to spend their money as they see fit.
I personally wouldn't spend money on these kind of items but I hope the fact I buy certain equipment (or not) does not influence how people see me.

rayyan

Nothing wrong to be different at all costs. So long as it is a legal and kosher endeavor.

' most here are practical photographers '. whatever ' practical ' implies. Those who would purchase the Leicas under discussion, could also be very practical people.
Each one of us is an exclusive entity. An individual. Exercising that individuality in some other than ' normal ' way is no reason to slight them or their purchases.

Style and design at any cost to be different. Maybe. But that is perfectectly fine and not in ' bad taste '. Just different, maybe, than mine.
And I love history!

Regards.

I wouldn't loose any sleep over hypocrisy. I doubt many here would dream of owning this camera while snoozing anyway.

To me it is a manifestation of the need to be different at any cost. Style and design for the sake of ANY style and design so one feels "exclusive".

No one said that it would always be done in good taste (depending on who decides what that good taste may be).

So, we have an ordinary functional sport shoe turned into clown shoes, or everything from a Bentley to an Escalade converted into a carnival on wheels.

Leica is already a 1%er's choice of camera, so how does one separate themselves from an already hyper-exclusive club (presupposing one has that need and can afford to indulge it)?

Most here are practical photographers that prefer the whole Leica gestalt, and have the means to participate. It's a mix of historical patina and just enough current ability to make photos ... wrapped in legacy and exclusivity.

Photon42

While I am not the target group for Leica limited editions, I have to say I absolutely don't care at all, whether or not they produce these limited edition runs. I like the company for a number of reasons, and I cannot expect they just produce only what I would buy (and they would go chapter eleven the first month anyway with that approach :grin: ).

I would also never call someone a rich idiot, just because he buys something I won't or can't. I am pretty certain a lot of people would call me insane already on the number of gear I did acquire over the years without any business reason.

Leica does not seem to turn their business into LE versions only, so I really do not mind. And if they earn a bit extra, just because they can, that is totally fine for me. In the end, none of their cameras is exactly the minimum required to take photographs. They do transport emotions. We don't become revolutionary, just by only owning an ordinary M10.

Ivo

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with people spending money how they want to. Nothing wrong with people criticizing them for their choices and the companies that produce them either. It is fine if Leica wants to produce fashion accessories for the wealthy. I reserve the right to roll my eyes or mock the products as I see fit.

Last edited:
I don’t like the special editions ie. they have no appeal to me. Many of them are ugly. But Leica seems to be making money on them, so good for them!

The M10-D in some ways, though that doesn’t really qualify as special edition. And the lever is a quirk.. don’t need it, but it’s there and doesn’t bother me should I buy the camera.

Rich idiots. There are very few things one can buy, that would make me call them idiots. Ok, endangered animals - not Leica’s.

But I would call ”rich idiot” people like the one famous UFC star, who was throwing dollar bills on a homeless guy, making the poor fellow do push ups in return. And he filmed it to Instagram (or something) live, whilst taunting the guy at the same time -> rich idiot!

Shashin

Nothing wrong with people spending money how they want to.
For cameras, sure. For shark fins, pangolin scales, or sun bear bile, not so much...

I have no real problem with Leica editions. They are kind of fun and who knows if Leica will hit on something--I doubt it as these are really more about the appearance of a particular camera than anything to do with an actual design innovation. Still, while my taste in cameras is pretty conservative (I like my cameras like Model A Fords), I also enjoy the playfulness of the exercise. Who knows, they may outdo the Hasselblad Lunar or Stella! And anyone that can come up with "Bold Gray" is bound to get somewhere unique.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
But sometimes... sometimes the Leica limited editions are very beautiful, like the Q Khaki, which isn't really khaki, is it, but never mind. If I had that kind of money to spend on a p&s, I would've spent it on this one:

Yes, it does come with a leather strap in the same colour.

airfrogusmc

The way I look at it is if it helps keep the bottom line on the profit side so they can continue to make cameras like the M 10 and the MM then rock on Leica. It doesn't bother me one bit that make camera's that I would never buy as long as they keep making ones that I do. They are one of the few companies actually doing well at this moment in time. If Leica can't pay the bills then they would quite making and supporting film camera's. We would no longer have a real choice over all the other same ole same ole already being made by everyone else. So who cares what they make to help raise revenue as long as the M 10 and MM are in the mix.

Bernard

I wonder what's in it for Leica: after all these limited series of only 50 or 60 pieces won't do much financially, no ?
One thing it does is keep them in the news (the photographic news, that is) in spite of having very long product cycles. That's the same reason why they publish their own magazines, sponsor exhibits, etc.
Can you imagine if they only put-out a press release every four years when a new camera is ready?

Other obvious reasons:
  • To sell multiple copies of the same camera to their "super fans."
  • To experiment with new finishes and features.
  • To cross-over to a non-photographic audience. This is especially true of special editions that are collaborations.
  • To establish a higher marquee price that makes their regular prices seem more affordable.
  • To have something new to show at Leica Boutiques worldwide. They also run a retail business, after all.
  • Any excuse to throw a party! Hire a caterer, invite your best customers, keep in touch on a human scale. It's better publicity than mailing a calendar.