The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Limited to 60 pieces

V

Vivek

I can get a Fuji GFX 50R and a nice set of lenses and accs to go with it.

But, that would not give me the nice Leica stamped belt (or is it a camera strap?).

Decisions, decisions..:rolleyes:

V

Vivek

That is great news!

I can consider the GFX 50R now and go for a special edition, a couple years from now. :thumbs:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
- Someone at the marketing department said "Let's make an unusually ugly version of the M10, sell it as a limited version for twice the price of the normal one and see if anybody bites.".

- Loud cheers from the crowd.

- Done!

--

I'll never understand the "luxury" market, but how is this worse than women carrying ugly brown bags with "LV" printed all over them?

Last edited:

PeterA

I am in two minds about Leica and have been for years, on the one hand I have enormous respect for their camera and lens design and on the other I have enormous disrespect for their penchant to cater for a certain type of brazen fetishism which I find discomfiting. I guess if I hadn't clicked on to this particular thread my growing levels of distaste would not have been 'fertilized'. I guess I am not happy with Leica's growing brand recognition amongst the general population in so far as it effects me - I have been stopped a few times more than usual over the last little while by people wishing to make comment on my M10 or SL - something which is a new phenomenon to me. no one gives my Fuji X or GFX camera second look - and I prefer it that way.

I used to be very concerned about the long term sustainability of Leica - because I was so heavily invested in its systems and didn't much like any alternatives. These days I am not concerned about their survival at all- but as a photographer even happier to have many options capable of providing me with excellent camera and lens alternatives.

I asked a simple question in the LUF the other day and was jumped on by a bunch of Leica nuff nuffs for daring to suggest that if Leica could sell an M10 without an LCD and call it something special- perhaps they might consider offering the quality of EVF that the SL has on their CL camera line one idjot suggested stated that as a former user of SL and now CL- he saw 'virtually no difference' between the CL 2.3M pixel evf and the SL's 4.3M evf - describing the CL viewfinder as "excellent' - I mean a Fuji XT-3 gives me 3.7M pixels and I regard that as barely adequate!

Fuji are announcing fast autofocus lenses like the 33 f1 for X series and Leica are adding a film advance lever and removing a rear LCD from the M10 and calling it a revolution! Ridiculous.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Rich idiots have to spend their monies on something, so why not on a Leica? At least Leica can spend the income from these sales on product developments in other areas. Collecting ugly Leicas is after all a relatively harmless hobby. The only damage done is to the collector's own bank account.

tcdeveau

I’ve never really understood any of the Leica limited edition sets and the premium they command, and this is no exception, but I imagine Leica wouldn’t keep making them if people didn’t keep buying them. Good for them for having that kind of customer base. Shrug.

Knorp

I wonder what's in it for Leica: after all these limited series of only 50 or 60 pieces won't do much financially, no ?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Actually one should buy this camera as all their special editions sell usually at much higher prices a few years later :cool:

rayyan

This post of mine is not going to make me many friends, I just hope it does not loose me existing ones!

What a sanctimonious, hypocritical and warped but most likely a sincere ‘ feelings ‘ thread.

Let’s talk sneakers...yes the ones people wear on their feet. How much do the Nike, Reebok, Addidas cost?

Clothes..yes the ‘ bear ‘ necessities..or underclothings..Let’s think.I think of the streets of Paris, Bond street, Seville Row.Georgio etc. And if I have some change left..CK, Victoria’s Secret ( for someone I have somewhere ).you get the idea?

Cars...yes, the ones to get from A to B. Let’s think of Italy, Stuttgart, Munich, not forgetting our 007 hero!

Food...yes that which is what we eat to live..Oysters, shark fin drinks, caviar and the list goes on. Tea at Fortnum and Mason anyone?

Tiffany’s, Cartier, Chanel and of course LV for a wedding ring, luggage amongst the other ‘ bear ‘ necessities that are required to survive eh!

Cameras, indeed. Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji, Olympus etc all. Then there are those outfits from Europe. Even Leica! But poor me..I only have 2 D850s, with some 400/500/600 teles. Going on Safari? Yes, to ‘ shoot ‘ some big game.

I am getting tired. Need coffee. Starbucks...nah. Let’s try some in Vienna.The ambience, the gentry, the sound of...well you know.

How about a short vacation...where to? Salzburg, Innsbruck, St. Moritz? No, I just have enough for Aspen, CO.!

But you get my drift...right? The list above is just a sampling.

Why single out Leica? Let’s take an honest look at ourselves. Find anything that might look ‘ distasteful ‘ to others?

PeterA

This post of mine is not going to make me many friends, I just hope it does not loose me existing ones!

What a sanctimonious, hypocritical and warped but most likely a sincere ‘ feelings ‘ thread.

Let’s talk sneakers...yes the ones people wear on their feet. How much do the Nike, Reebok, Addidas cost?

Clothes..yes the ‘ bear ‘ necessities..or underclothings..Let’s think.I think of the streets of Paris, Bond street, Seville Row.Georgio etc. And if I have some change left..CK, Victoria’s Secret ( for someone I have somewhere ).you get the idea?

Cars...yes, the ones to get from A to B. Let’s think of Italy, Stuttgart, Munich, not forgetting our 007 hero!

Food...yes that which is what we eat to live..Oysters, shark fin drinks, caviar and the list goes on. Tea at Fortnum and Mason anyone?

Tiffany’s, Cartier, Chanel and of course LV for a wedding ring, luggage amongst the other ‘ bear ‘ necessities that are required to survive eh!

Cameras, indeed. Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji, Olympus etc all. Then there are those outfits from Europe. Even Leica! But poor me..I only have 2 D850s, with some 400/500/600 teles. Going on Safari? Yes, to ‘ shoot ‘ some big game.

I am getting tired. Need coffee. Starbucks...nah. Let’s try some in Vienna.The ambience, the gentry, the sound of...well you know.

How about a short vacation...where to? Salzburg, Innsbruck, St. Moritz? No, I just have enough for Aspen, CO.!

But you get my drift...right? The list above is just a sampling.

Why single out Leica? Let’s take an honest look at ourselves. Find anything that might look ‘ distasteful ‘ to others?
(FWIW) I'm not offended by anything you wrote - I just dont understand what you are trying to say.
If you are saying that Leica can't be questioned then I guess that ends the conversation.
If you are saying that people are entitled to buy whatever they wish - who exactly disagrees with that?
If you are saying people shouldn't criticise bad taste - then that speaks against open discussion of opinion.
As for your list of things (presumably examples the high life and big spending) personaly I find them all banal - but hey whatever floats people's boats right?

This is a forum and peopel will often discuss the merits of this or that versus the other thing.No harm no foul.

atb
Pete

pegelli

Why single out Leica?
Because this is a photography forum, none of the other examples you mention have anything to do with photography ;)

On a more serious note, I get what you are saying and respect that, just like I respect the opinions of the people who think this is over the top.

My position is simple, as long as there are people buying this stuff there's no reason for Leica not to produce them.
The reasons people buy them are not important for me, everybody is free to spend their money as they see fit.
I personally wouldn't spend money on these kind of items but I hope the fact I buy certain equipment (or not) does not influence how people see me.

fotografz

I wouldn't loose any sleep over hypocrisy. I doubt many here would dream of owning this camera while snoozing anyway.

To me it is a manifestation of the need to be different at any cost. Style and design for the sake of ANY style and design so one feels "exclusive".

No one said that it would always be done in good taste (depending on who decides what that good taste may be).

So, we have an ordinary functional sport shoe turned into clown shoes, or everything from a Bentley to an Escalade converted into a carnival on wheels.

Leica is already a 1%er's choice of camera, so how does one separate themselves from an already hyper-exclusive club (presupposing one has that need and can afford to indulge it)?

Most here are practical photographers that prefer the whole Leica gestalt, and have the means to participate. It's a mix of historical patina and just enough current ability to make photos ... wrapped in legacy and exclusivity.

PeterA

I wouldn't loose any sleep over hypocrisy. I doubt many here would dream of owning this camera while snoozing anyway.

To me it is a manifestation of the need to be different at any cost. Style and design for the sake of ANY style and design so one feels "exclusive".

No one said that it would always be done in good taste (depending on who decides what that good taste may be).

So, we have an ordinary functional sport shoe turned into clown shoes, or everything from a Bentley to an Escalade converted into a carnival on wheels.

Leica is already a 1%er's choice of camera, so how does one separate themselves from an already hyper-exclusive club (presupposing one has that need and can afford to indulge it)?

Most here are practical photographers that prefer the whole Leica gestalt, and have the means to participate. It's a mix of historical patina and just enough current ability to make photos ... wrapped in legacy and exclusivity.
Hi Marc! hope you and yours are well - long time no see my freind -:)

rayyan

Hi Peter.

Like they say, no harm..no foul.

Of course Leica camera equipment can be criticized as to its ' fit for purpose ' .
' bad taste '. Whose? Your's or mine?

Just because you find them ' banal ', does not make them coveted items for some and normal for others. And, of course, banal for the others.

And it is quite right that forum members discuss the merits of one camera equipment versus another. But ' taste '?

No harm. No foul.

Best.

(FWIW) I'm not offended by anything you wrote - I just dont understand what you are trying to say.
If you are saying that Leica can't be questioned then I guess that ends the conversation.
If you are saying that people are entitled to buy whatever they wish - who exactly disagrees with that?
If you are saying people shouldn't criticise bad taste - then that speaks against open discussion of opinion.
As for your list of things (presumably examples the high life and big spending) personaly I find them all banal - but hey whatever floats people's boats right?

This is a forum and peopel will often discuss the merits of this or that versus the other thing.No harm no foul.

atb
Pete