The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

7 Artisans 28/1.4

scho

Just received my copy today from 7Artisans. I ordered last week via email to Angel in sales at 7Artisans. Very quick process and free express shipping to USA via DHL. I don't know yet whether I have the "new" version recently released or the "old" ring flare prone version. I'll test it tonight and report back with images. Build quality seems to be excellent and focusing is smooth. Both aperture and focusing rings seem to be just right, not tight or loose fitting. We are still stuck in gray, damp cold weather so no decent pics to post yet. I will test on my Leica M, Sony A7RII, and Sony A7R (m).
My light test last night was not conclusive. I didn't actually go outside - just shot street lamps and xmas lights through a window. There was no evidence of ring flare shooting at f/1.4, but I will try again when weather is more cooperative. Currently we have -5C and 20 mph winds so I didn't brave the elements for any serious testing. I asked 7Artisans if they sent me the new version or old, but they didn't know. Other than shooting at lights any other way to determine new vs old without dismantling the lens? Took a few indoor shots today and so far I am liking this lens.

Leica M (262) 7Artisans 28/1.4 at f/4

Sony A7R (m) 7Artisans 28/1.4 at f/4

V

Vivek

Hi Carl, glad you have yours. As some of my snaps above show, the ring flare, wide open, is not present all the time.

Not much to worry about in either case. Just a fabulous lens!

My search now is on to find a proper compact hood for the lens (to take care of a veiling flare).

I think 7 Artisans should have made and supplied one with the lens.

B L

My light test last night was not conclusive. I didn't actually go outside - just shot street lamps and xmas lights through a window. There was no evidence of ring flare shooting at f/1.4, but I will try again when weather is more cooperative. Currently we have -5C and 20 mph winds so I didn't brave the elements for any serious testing. I asked 7Artisans if they sent me the new version or old, but they didn't know. Other than shooting at lights any other way to determine new vs old without dismantling the lens? Took a few indoor shots today and so far I am liking this lens.

Looking at your images,I think this lens is a gem. There are several 28mm F1.4 lenses offered by variety of makers but they cant "afford" to sell at a lower price,even if they could afford.

V

Vivek

There are exactly two 28/1.4 for Leica M, AFAIK.

There are several 28mm F1.4 lenses offered by variety of makers but they cant "afford" to sell at a lower price,even if they could afford.
If I do win the lottery, I will buy a Summilux M 28/1.4. I had no idea that a 28/1.4 would be useful and fun until I bought the 7 Artisans 28/1.4.

B L

If I do win the lottery, I will buy a Summilux M 28/1.4. I had no idea that a 28/1.4 would be useful and fun until I bought the 7 Artisans 28/1.4.
Hello Vivekbhai, did you buy your other expensive stuff with lottery money,if yes you must be a lucky man ;)
And Summilux as good as 7Artisan!?

Robert Campbell

Better make that a large lottery win, Vivek. Remember, I'm promised a Thambar! :grin:

scho

Carl, Are latest samples any different to first batch? Its about flare.
Thanks.
I think that currently shipping lenses have been corrected for "ring flare". I have not had this issue yet with my copy (ordered direct from 7Artisans).

V

Vivek

Carl, Could you check again if your sample has the ring flare wide open? I am communicating with the 7Artisans and the claim now is that there is only one version (all with ring flare)!

scho

Carl, Could you check again if your sample has the ring flare wide open? I am communicating with the 7Artisans and the claim now is that there is only one version (all with ring flare)!
That is interesting. They told me that there is a corrected version. I will try again and report back, but last time I tried there was no ring flare.

V

Vivek

Carl, After many back and forth, I convinced them that the ring flare is what they kept claiming as the “spot” issue!

Finally they relented and said that they will replace my sample. I can return mine in Feb.

Yes, the first version (“only a few samples were made” according to them) is no more.

All the samples sold now are the ring flare free version.

B L

Hamish Gill updated his website stating there were only 100 samples with ring flare &^%*().
So those flowed samples might become collectors lenses with ring flare feature.

V

Vivek

Anyone interested in the "collector's edition" with ring flare has until late January to contact me to buy it off of me.
I will sell for the current street price here. :)

D&A

Hi,

I've read what reviews and feedback are available for those that have used/tested this lens and especially the very helpful images and comments of those participating in this thread. I have used and tested a number of 28mm f1.9/2.0 lenses mounted on various M digitals, but don't quite have a handle on how sharp both centrally and towards the edges/sides/corners of the frame this lens produces at the more open apertures of f1.4, f2 and f2.8. This is when the image is viewed on a monitor at least with the magnification level of 66% or 100% (actual pixels). I don't expect the sides/corners to equal the central portion of the frame , even at f2.8 but specifically am interested in the performance at these apertures at subject distances of mid-range and longer distances. I know wide open, there will be softness in the image across the frame. This is understandable, but once stopped down to f2 and f2.8, especially at mid range and longer distance, especially towards the sides and corners, is of great interest. Any additional insight is appreciated. I should note, for specific use and large sized prints, knowing the relative performance of the sides and edges at f1.4, f2 and sometimes f2.8 would be useful. greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

V

Vivek

Hi,

I have the ZM 35/1.4 and the 7Artisans 28/1.4 at ~1/5 price is an awesome lens.

My suggestion would be to buy your own and do your tests (that you would do anyway).

AFAIC, it is for street use at 2~5m distance. I can use it wide open or stopped a bit down (to f/2.8) is just awesome.

A snap at ~2.8. Whole frame.

(Both on a monchrome Sony A7rII, 42mp sensor with a 1mm cover glass. No sharpening applied at any stage!)

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Farther away ~2.5. Wole frame.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

How do the edges look? :)

I still havenot found a proper hood for the lens. :(

D&A

Thanks ever so much Vivek. Extremely helpful. What would now help is a couple of distant cityscapes or landscapes taken at F1.4 and F2.0 and be able to see crops of 100 % of the corners and center. Others looks like an exceptional bargin.

P.S. Here is a link to a 52mm wide vented screw in hood in black.

https://www.ebay.com/i/162214323326...4%26rvr_ts%3D150e93b91680a99bf6d23722ffd80843

and here is a link to a non vented 52mm wide screw in hood in black.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/52mm-metal...026?hash=item27c5e070c2:g:9kQAAOxyEjpRmhhGave

Please note: both hoods listed above are metal (not plastic) and quite inexpensive.

(D&A)

Last edited:

scho

Thanks ever so much Vivek. Extremely helpful. What would now help is a couple of distant cityscapes or landscapes taken at F1.4 and F2.0 and be able to see crops of 100 % of the corners and center. Others looks like an exceptional bargin.

P.S. Here is a link to a 52mm wide vented screw in hood in black.

https://www.ebay.com/i/162214323326...4%26rvr_ts%3D150e93b91680a99bf6d23722ffd80843

and here is a link to a non vented 52mm wide screw in hood in black.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/52mm-metal...026?hash=item27c5e070c2:g:9kQAAOxyEjpRmhhGave

Please note: both hoods listed above are metal (not plastic) and quite inexpensive.

(D&A)
I purchased this lens hood on Amazon (USA) to use with the 7A 28/1.4 and it works OK without vignetting, but does partially block view finder when used on my Leica M.

V

Vivek

Thanks, Carl. That could be the one.

Unfortuantely the vented hoods (like the one mentioned by Dave) made for “wide angle” lenses clips the corners (not just vignette!), even without a filter on.

Nikon HK-2 also unfortunately can not be mounted!

I purchased this lens hood on Amazon (USA) to use with the 7A 28/1.4 and it works OK without vignetting, but does partially block view finder when used on my Leica M.