The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

7 Artisans 28/1.4

V

Vivek

I have been told next week. I suspect the price will be ~€525.

V

Vivek

Already available and for less than what I expected..

Last edited:

D&A

it looks bigger than a breadbox! Wait, maybe what's inside is a breadbox......never mind. :)

We all do though want to know how it performs.

Dave (D&A)

V

Vivek

I can tell you that right out the box, the RF was spot on on my MM! Sharp wide open! Really really impressive! :)

D&A

I can tell you that right out the box, the RF was spot on on my MM! Sharp wide open! Really really impressive! :)

Thanks for your initial impression. The one thing that has some concerned is when shooting into a bright light source at near wide open apature, a very large ring of light (flair), is produced on a large portion of the image. I've seen examples of this. I also heard the manufacturer is trying to address the issue.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

Dave, I have not encountered that yet. Early days.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Leica MM, 7 Artisans 28/1.4, f/1.4, ISO320, 1/2000s

Of course I understand. Someone posted a pic of this unusual flair and I was a bit surprised how large and prominent it was, especially it's shape, but then again at its price point it truly appears to be quite a bargin.

Dave (D&A)

V

Vivek

I tried many snaps shooting directly into street lights. The ring is produced only in some angles. It is inconsistent.

Here is an example of the ring (on my Monochrome A7rII, not a Leica. There was a filter on the lens. f/1.4).

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Why would I want to change this? :)

(FWIW, the rest of the flare you see here is similar to the ones produced by the Summarit M 35/2.5)

V

Vivek

Cheaper than a lens hood for the Summilux M 28/1.4! :bugeyes:

Of course I understand. Someone posted a pic of this unusual flair and I was a bit surprised how large and prominent it was, especially it's shape, but then again at its price point it truly appears to be quite a bargin.

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Here is an additional example of the flair (the top pic),shown as posted on RRF by the forum member "chambrenoire". The size and shape looks very similar to the flair shown in the center of your image "above"

David (D&A)

Attachments

Last edited:
V

Vivek

David, you can’t just attach an image from someone else without permission. Atleast, say whose image it is!

D&A

David, you can’t just attach an image from someone else without permission. Atleast, say whose image it is!
Thank you. I forgot to attribute the referenced image to a specific poster on RRF. It's now been corrected. I've also been following that thread on FM. Much appreciated.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

scho

Just received my copy today from 7Artisans. I ordered last week via email to Angel in sales at 7Artisans. Very quick process and free express shipping to USA via DHL. I don't know yet whether I have the "new" version recently released or the "old" ring flare prone version. I'll test it tonight and report back with images. Build quality seems to be excellent and focusing is smooth. Both aperture and focusing rings seem to be just right, not tight or loose fitting. We are still stuck in gray, damp cold weather so no decent pics to post yet. I will test on my Leica M, Sony A7RII, and Sony A7R (m).