The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica 50mm 1.4 pre ASPH question...

jdphoto

My Leica 50mm 1.4 (11 868) type 3 only opens to 1.7. At least according to the metadata when shooting with my monochrom. I was trying to determine accuracy in focusing at 1.4, but as mentioned only displays 1.7. Why would it do this or am I missing something?

Knorp

As there is no electronic interface the camera is guesstimating the aperture value.

Photon42

Look through the lens with aperture set to f/1.4. If you do not see the aperture blades reaching into the opening, the lens opens to 1.4. As Knorp says, there is no interface between the lens and the camera. The M does a differential reading between a little cell in the body and the light passing through the lens. Obviously not perfect at all. Leica actually removed the calculation from the first M10 firmware, because too many users complained about inaccuracy ...

jdphoto

Thank you for the input! My 28mm Elmarit is coded, but my 50mm is not. I forgot that...oops.
I can manually enter the 50mm lens though.

hteasley

Thank you for the input! My 28mm Elmarit is coded, but my 50mm is not. I forgot that...oops.
I can manually enter the 50mm lens though.
Don't know which pre-ASPH 50 you have, but the v2 can't be coded... there's a screw in the code area.