Site Sponsors

Thread: Tried an upraged M8 yesterday at PMA

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tried an upraged M8 yesterday at PMA

I got a chance to play with an upgraded M8 with the new shutter. I shot it side by side with both a stock M8 and an M7 to gauge the difference in sound.

The M7 is still more quiet, but the new M8 shutter cuts the sound significantly. Also, when you press the shutter release, you can feel less vibration in the camera as well. When fired at me from six feet away, I couldn't hear the new M8 over the background noise of the trade show floor. I could hear the current M8 shutter, though.

Is it worth 1200 Euros? That will ultimately be up to the individual user. 1/4000 vs. 1/8000 is not a big deal. 1/180 flash sync vs. 1/250 isn't that big a deal either.

As far as new M8 cameras, dealers will have the option of offering the two different versions at different prices. No, I don't know the prices yet.

This approach to camera development is pretty revolutionary. Let's see how it all pans out.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tried an upraged M8 yesterday at PMA

Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post
    I got a chance to play with an upgraded M8...
    Must be a he.LL of a dangerous camera, an UPRAGED M8!! (sorry David, couldn't resist...)
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David, it is good to hear your opinion of the side by side comparision. The fact that the original M8 could be heard above the background noise goes to illustrate the difference. I listened to the M8 shutter recordins on Leica's website last night and the difference didn't seem that great at first. However, after playing the sounds a few times it became clear that the modified shutter sound doesn't have the hard distinct sound of the original M8. I suspect the difference it the type of sound is just as important as the audible level.

Post Thanks / Like

David, thanks for sharing your hands-on observations. this was very helpful.

currently, the shutter noise has a hard and abrupt sound. you can even feel it while holding the camera. it's very distracting. for example, while i was at a friend's house taking pictures of him having a conversation with another friend, each time the shutter went off, he'd look in my direction. the pitch of the shutter was very distracting to him. if the new shutter is Quiet, i think i'll be quite happy with going ahead with the optional update.

EDIT: i can't wait to uprage my m8
    Last edited by Daniel; 1st February 2008 at 09:14.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the misspelling in the thread title... It must be this dry NV air. I tried editing it about ten seconds after I posted, but you can't edit the thread title. If Guy or Jack wants to fix this, please do...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post
    Sorry for the misspelling in the thread title... It must be this dry NV air. I tried editing it about ten seconds after I posted, but you can't edit the thread title. If Guy or Jack wants to fix this, please do...
    nah, leave it alone. it was an eye-catcher.

Sean_Reid

Thanks David, that's good to hear (or not hear).

Cheers,

Sean

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack and I get to hear it tomorrow in Vegas, so we will report also. Sounds nice or is that quiet. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what David said. I heard the new M8 at PMA, but think that I will be passing on the upgrade.

1200 Euro for a slower shutter although quite, a more scratch proof screen, and warranty don't really "trip my trigger".

Now if they do something that improves IQ, I will be in.

Best,

Ray