The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

60's vintage Elmar 135mm

otumay

Hi!,
Just tried my newly acquired Elmar 135mm on a boat trip crossing the Bosporus. Some of the images were taken on a relatively calm sea, but an old passenger boat with considerable engine vibration and with a handheld M8. Minor treatment with CS4, absolutely no sharpening. The b+w images were in-camera processed jpegs, with just a little boost in contrast.
Criticism most welcome.
Cheers from Istanbul,
Osman

Last edited:

Bébèrt

Nice shots with a sharp "old" Leica lens. But I see that you use CS4 so you'll be better off converting the RAW files to B&W on your pc.
The Elmar 135 is the predecessor of my Tele-Elmar 135/4 first version (1982) with is also razor sharp (when in focus).
And they both have a detachable head that can be used on the Visoflex.
Dragonfly shot with Tele-Elmar 135 at f5,6. (didn't have my Visoflex III yet)

otumay

That image is remarkable! By the way, you're absolutely right about converting RAW's to bw with CS4. The reason I uploaded those bw images was to share what a decent job M8 is doing.
Thanks and regards,
Osman

S

stevenkania

Which viewfinder are you using for this (or any other 135mm) lens?

Bébèrt

No viewfinder on the M8; just "force" the lens a bit further than it's locking position and you'll get the 90mm framelines witch give an rough estimate. There are some viewfinders for the Telyt lenses but I think their hard to find.

Lloyd

A very nice set of images... I've been considering one of these. Looks like I'll need to take the leap soon.

otumay

Thank you for your appreciation, Lloyd. Looks like the Elmar 135 will challenge the Nikkor 70-200/2.8 VR as my favourite tele lens.

Lloyd

I can certainly understand why. I have had two 70-200/2.8 VR lenses, and sold one to fund my 28 Summicron. The other is used only for action sports, otherwise, it's all Leica for me.

Enjoy that wonderful lens, and I look forward to more great images from you soon.