Site Sponsors

Thread: FULL FRAME IT"S HERE

stnami

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: FULL FRAME IT"S HERE

Ladies and Gentlemen, start your drooling!

Daveco

Well, I was going to get married this year(I unfortunately have to pay for it), but if I had to choose between that and a full frame upgrade........hmmmmm.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cat was let out of the bag it seems

Chris Cheesman and Angela Nicholson
    Leica's chief has dropped strong hints that the firm is planning to launch a full-frame 35mm sensor based digital rangefinder camera.

Steven Lee, chief executive officer of Leica Camera AG, today told Amateur Photographer that the camera could form part of a future upgrade option for the current M8.

But, he said Leica wants to make sure that a full-frame option is ready before launch, in a bid to avoid a repeat of initial issues that dogged the M8 launch
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I love my M8 even more now.

Guess I can go ahead and get a 50mm lens, as it will someday be a 50mm lens!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now that's an upgrade I would pay for. i wonder if they will include the Sapphire LCD cover with that one too? Hmmmm, could this be the next incarnation of Leica A La Carte?
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How exciting.
    Especially if they can retrofit into an M8 body . . . mind you, I suspect that would be almost as expensive as a new camera.

We can but hope!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agree. This would be an upgrade in a quite different league. I think the most surprising hint is "Lee indicating that ... [it] could see its official debut at the Photokina trade show in Germany this autumn".

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's one way to solve the "we need more wide lenses problem" LOL
    I guess I should just set Leica up on direct deposit for my paycheck.
    What will be most interesting is whether or not we still need filters!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That remains to be seen. Okay love you all but I'm driving to Vegas for more. Don't burn down the house
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That means its about a year away maybe a little under....can't wait....
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now if the shutter/glass upgrade went toward the cost of the ff upgrade...
    I might actually do it.

Digital Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Cat was let out of the bag it seems...h
    It would appear that it was Leicaís official web sight that "let the cat out of the bag" via their FAQ pdf document. In fact, quite of few of the questions are clearly addressed and answered although I guess a lot of folks simply havenít read the file yet i.e. when to pay, Š la carte, future sensor, etc.
    http://en.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m8/
    (see KNOW-HOW download)
    Regards,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I shutter to think what the full frame sensor will cost. It may be curtains for the upgrade. ( I really couldn't resist) DR

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

now a 135 will be handy.

In vegas waiting for Jack to fly in

Heading to show

Post Thanks / Like

i'm quite giddy with excitement about this!

two days ago, i commented in another discussion group regarding Leica's upgrade path, and i'm really very excited to see this full-frame coming into fruition:

i don't believe that replacing the m8's mother board with improved electronics will be a problem. technology history has demonstrated consistently that electronic parts get smaller and smaller in a very a short period (now less than a year). so fitting new electronic components in the M8 is the least of Leica's problem.

recently, Sony announced a full-frame sensor that will be going into full production this year. this is exciting because, now, the other digital camera makers that make their own sensors have another competitor on the market, Sony -- a full-sensor competitor!

what this may mean is that, very soon, we may no longer need to make mental conversions in our heads for the 35 mm equivalent of, for example, a 28 mm lens on a non-full-frame sensor. AND full-sensor cameras may not be out of reach for many photographers' budget. the later may translate into a future upgrade for the m8 with such a sensor, because it'll be within a reasonable price range (whatever that may be) for most m8 owners.

Leica has not made an official commitment to a sensor upgrade, but their FAQ suggests that it's possible and they're considering it. i think this will happen, but the concern is when and how expensive?

Sony may have changed Leica's position from an if to a when. that is, if its new production of full-sensors are priced to compete. but lets not overlook Kodak, we have yet to hear if Kodak has a new sensor. i believe the m8's sensor is by Kodak.

i'm looking forward to a full-sensor upgrade for the m8, but i'm REALLY, REALLY hoping that the sensor upgrade for the m8 will not be exorbitant. but i believe that this will depend on the economics of supply and demand, and Leica's specialized and intellectual labor.

we shall soon find out what will happen.

– dan

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dude View Post
    It would appear that it was Leicaís official web sight that "let the cat out of the bag" via their FAQ pdf document. In fact, quite of few of the questions are clearly addressed and answered although I guess a lot of folks simply havenít read the file yet i.e. when to pay, Š la carte, future sensor, etc.
    http://en.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m8/
    (see KNOW-HOW download)
    Regards,
    Could you point out where in the FAQ you got this from? I read the whole thing and missed it. Not that I don't believe you, it's that I cannot find it.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen, start your drooling!
    i just recovered from fainting from all this excitement to find a pool of drool. wiping up now. just emptied a bucket.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Could you point out where in the FAQ you got this from? I read the whole thing and missed it. Not that I don't believe you, it's that I cannot find it.
    i believe it's here:
    http://en.leica-camera.com/assets/fi...=file_3579.pdf

FAQ #6

6. Does Leica intend to pursue this system in the future?

The LEICA M8 Upgrade Program is designed to provide our customers with a long-term assurance of their investment, since you can always bring your camera up to date. We are presently investigating the possibility of further upgrade steps including the camera’s complete digital section, even including the sensor itself.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK got it. I was reading the wrong FAQ.

Post Thanks / Like

all cameras are full frame; they fill the sensors, don't they? (just like full frame filled the film, right? could have been bigger, like 36x36 but wasn't.

Why not?
    well, because film was only 36x24. that doesn't sound like 'full frame ' to me!

jeesh, I can't wait for the vignetting, cyan, adjustmewnt adjustment software

LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I remember all the talks before the M8 launch... full frame cannot be done etc... and now what I read ?
    Strange...the M8 shell is the same, there isn't more depth nor space inside. They could fit in place a proper IR filter with the right thickness. But within a year they would even upgrade to full frame !!!!
    I am flabergasted !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I remember too when they said the speed of sound couldn't be broken. Point is technology changes and what is impossible yesterday becomes possible today.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sinwen View Post
    I remember all the talks before the M8 launch... full frame cannot be done etc... and now what I read ?
    Strange...the M8 shell is the same, there isn't more depth nor space inside. They could fit in place a proper IR filter with the right thickness. But within a year they would even upgrade to full frame !!!!
    I am flabergasted !!!
    I think that flabbergasted has two 'b's in it (of course, I could be wrong . . . or they could have changed it).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I think that flabbergasted has two 'b's in it (of course, I could be wrong . . . or they could have changed it).
    ..or maybe he is descended from Hamlet...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I guess you make no mistake in French.....interesting comment concerning the subject

Post Thanks / Like

FF M RF - this is what I am really waiting for!

I love my M8, but if I can use the good old KB format then it will be like heaven.

And I do expect much better ISO coming also with FF

odyocu

So, Leica has to change the Viewfinder frames too?? No chance. M9 is a more probable alternative.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by odyocu View Post
    So, Leica has to change the Viewfinder frames too?? No chance. M9 is a more probable alternative.
    I imagine they could just change the gearing of the frame selector to match the re-jiggered sizes.