The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica APO-Summicron 35mm Asph - my thoughts

scott kirkpatrick

35 SL-SCron vs 16-35 is an interesting debate, especially when both are so good that the only comparison is stellar M lenses. There is a confounding factor -- the SL fits right in at events or weddings even with its hulking great zooms, and it really delivers. But in a less formal or crazy setting, I think the smaller size and less scary appearance of the SL-SCs is a big plus, and they can be hung on my CL to further reduce their presence. At the 35 operating point, I also have a 35 SX-M which doesn't get much use. I prefer it to the CL 23, but I find the 28 SX-M much more exciting. I certainly think that the 35 SL-SC will do that job much better. Looking at Jono's portfolio, I see that it can be left on f/2.0 for most environmental portraits. So the 16-35 seems to me to fit parties where you need to switch from single people to groups of six in tight quarters and back again, and the 35 SL-SC (or another favorite, the M 24/2.8 asph) for restaurant outings and just walking around. The 75 SL-SC has complete mastery of more distant opportunities, such as Jono's dogs and chickens, or my in-laws at the other end of the table.

vieri

Hey Jono! Wonderful write-up as usual, with great images to go with it - also as usual! :) The 35mm looks like a great lens, alas not for me anymore - however, even if I am not anymore a SL user, I still love the camera and the system and am always extremely happy when Leica releases something new for it, especially of this caliber!

Best regards,

Vieri

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hey Jono! Wonderful write-up as usual, with great images to go with it - also as usual! :) The 35mm looks like a great lens, alas not for me anymore - however, even if I am not anymore a SL user, I still love the camera and the system and am always extremely happy when Leica releases something new for it, especially of this caliber!

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri,

completely off topic, but I would be interested in what system you currently choose - sorry if you already posted for asking here again.

Best

Peter

vieri

Vieri,

completely off topic, but I would be interested in what system you currently choose - sorry if you already posted for asking here again.

Best

Peter
Hello Peter,

no worries - I went with the Hasselblad X1D, which since I only photograph landscape made the most sense for me :) I still have a Leica M2 and 3 lenses for my street work though. See here for my current equipment: https://vieribottazzini.com/gear-equipment

Sorry Jono for the off-topic escapade! :)

Best regards,

Vieri

TimWright

Excellent review as always. I guess it was a little shorter than usual as your spending more time on your Q2 review which hopefully we will see sooner than later. 😎