The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica APO-Summicron 35mm Asph - my thoughts

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi Everyone
Here is a small piece on the new summicron.

My thoughts on the new lens

All the best to everyone!
Just when I was thinking of dropping the SL .... perfect timing ... wonderful pictures ... however seems like the write-up was a bit shorter than your usual.

Not a complaint ... more a regret ... your viewpoint and voice have always been enjoyed and respected. A rare thing these days ...

Hope you are well and looking forward to spring.

Best regards,

Bob

Shashin

Well, this is the first Leica lens that actually made me hungry...the others just made me drool...

Photon42

Thanks for that! Reminds me a bit of the 35 1.8 S from Nikon, I got hold of end of last year.

Paratom

Thanks Jono,
do you have any idea how it compares to the Zooms at 35mm and equivalent f-stop?

Paratom

Just checked the price for the 35...I must say its really steep for a 35mm f2.0 lens.
6 times the price of the Nikon Z 35/1.8 - you can buy a Z7+24-70+35/1.8 for that amount.
Wow.

jonoslack

Just when I was thinking of dropping the SL .... perfect timing ... wonderful pictures ... however seems like the write-up was a bit shorter than your usual.

Not a complaint ... more a regret ... your viewpoint and voice have always been enjoyed and respected. A rare thing these days ...

Hope you are well and looking forward to spring.

Best regards,

Bob
Hi There Bob
I hope you're well - I'm grateful that you feel short changed (must mean you liked what was there!). It's been busy around here, and time was perhaps more of a factor than it sometimes is.
All good here, as for spring, I think we just had it (and it's back to winter!).

All the best
Jono

jonoslack

Just checked the price for the 35...I must say its really steep for a 35mm f2.0 lens.
6 times the price of the Nikon Z 35/1.8 - you can buy a Z7+24-70+35/1.8 for that amount.
Wow.
Hi Tom
Yes - expensive - (I certainly can't afford one). BUT - I do understand why (problems rejecting glass supply, endless work making sure everything is always properly centred, precision required for machining) . . etc. etc. I do think it shows though (whether you need it is quite another thing).

Best

jonoslack

Thanks Jono,
do you have any idea how it compares to the Zooms at 35mm and equivalent f-stop?
I haven't done a serious comparison - the bokeh on the APOs is stunning, but in terms of sharpness I've never had a problem with the zooms either

. . I just think that they're the best lenses I've ever seen!

All the best (hope you're flourishing)

Paratom

Hi Tom
Yes - expensive - (I certainly can't afford one). BUT - I do understand why (problems rejecting glass supply, endless work making sure everything is always properly centred, precision required for machining) . . etc. etc. I do think it shows though (whether you need it is quite another thing).

Best
Yes, I think the problem is that while Leica optics are excellent, other manufacturers optical and lens quality is increasing as well and the gap is becoming smaller.
It was easier to accept the price of the 16-35 than the price for the 35.
I have no idea how the IQ compares, but the price difference might force me to check out myself.

jonoslack

Yes, I think the problem is that while Leica optics are excellent, other manufacturers optical and lens quality is increasing as well and the gap is becoming smaller.
It was easier to accept the price of the 16-35 than the price for the 35.
I have no idea how the IQ compares, but the price difference might force me to check out myself.
Hi Tom
Well, I think these SL lenses are a real winner, and I was convinced by stories of QA on glass etc. together with tolerances did convince me. . . but personally I like the zooms on the SL
Best

Paratom

Hi Tom
Well, I think these SL lenses are a real winner, and I was convinced by stories of QA on glass etc. together with tolerances did convince me. . . but personally I like the zooms on the SL
Best
The nice thing is that the SL-zooms are (nearly?) as good as primes, and the main reason to use primes is if you need the faster f-stop. So the zooms can really replace a couple of primes. And then one needs only few primes for subjects where you want very shallow DOF or in low light. The Zooms are very good but also far from compact.
Anyways, would be far easier to be loyal to the system if the primes were between 2-2.5k instead of more than 4k. On the other side I understand than Leica has the goal to deliver the best possible optical quality.

iiiNelson

The nice thing is that the SL-zooms are (nearly?) as good as primes, and the main reason to use primes is if you need the faster f-stop. So the zooms can really replace a couple of primes. And then one needs only few primes for subjects where you want very shallow DOF or in low light. The Zooms are very good but also far from compact.
Anyways, would be far easier to be loyal to the system if the primes were between 2-2.5k instead of more than 4k. On the other side I understand than Leica has the goal to deliver the best possible optical quality.
Well there will still be the Panasonic and Sigma alternatives down the line that will likely be more economical but excellent.

Sebben

This would be the ideal price range really.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
One aspect of the Leica SL and S lenses is their consistent aesthetic . If you final product is to produce a book , a collection or an exhibit .....you can appreciate a consistent look across all your images . Leica has done a masterful job at creating that consistency .

If you utilize a mix of lenses say some legacy or for example want to include a Sigma lens in your mix ....you will have to profile the lenses to a common aesthetic (which isn t all that easy under different lighting conditions ).

You can also trust that when Leica s head of lens design (Peter Karbe) public states that the SL lenses are the very best Leica has ever produced ....that each lens will be exceptional . The widest aperture is fully usable for the most critical applications ...that means edge to edge and exceptional micro contrast wide open .

For me this means no surprises ...one of the reasons photographers buy branded products .

You could make a good argument that Sigma can claim similar consistency across a much less expensive group of lenses. And that all the top manufacturers are getting better .

DB5

Ah Jono, wonderful as ever. I have missed your reads and I have my fix for now.

The lens looks very good and I did find myself thinking it looked 1.4ish before I read that these new lenses have a look that equates to the 1.4. Clearly not just marketing waffle. One of the things I have always been drawn to with Leica is their manipulation of tonality with their glass and it's nice to read how it's done.

DB5

Just to add - I still don't have much interest in the SL. What I really want to see is a 35mm APO-Summicron-M

I would be very interested in that.

JPlomley

Terrific review Jono! Had my heart set on this lens, but it took forever to launch so ended up buying the 16-35 SVE. I did not expect the performance that this zoom delivers, and most certainly the price is justified for this level of imaging, although at times the field curvature between 16-19mm can be annoying, but I've learned to adapt. I'm simply amazed that the 16-35 SVE bests my M primes! Will it best the 35 APO at the 35mm end of its range at similar apertures? Perhaps not, but then the zoom offers so much versatility does it really matter? It's a tough call, because I've never been a fan of the 35 FLE due to its nervous bokeh, and it seems the 35 APO addresses this. So, flip my 35 Lux for the 35 APO and just use the 28 Cron Asph v2 and 50 Lux Asph on the M10????? Decisions decisions.....

jonoslack

Terrific review Jono! Had my heart set on this lens, but it took forever to launch so ended up buying the 16-35 SVE. I did not expect the performance that this zoom delivers, and most certainly the price is justified for this level of imaging, although at times the field curvature between 16-19mm can be annoying, but I've learned to adapt. I'm simply amazed that the 16-35 SVE bests my M primes! Will it best the 35 APO at the 35mm end of its range at similar apertures? Perhaps not, but then the zoom offers so much versatility does it really matter? It's a tough call, because I've never been a fan of the 35 FLE due to its nervous bokeh, and it seems the 35 APO addresses this. So, flip my 35 Lux for the 35 APO and just use the 28 Cron Asph v2 and 50 Lux Asph on the M10????? Decisions decisions.....
Hi There
Thank you!
I did the same and bought the 16-35, and I'm not convinced that the 35 APO is very much better at the equivalent apertures - perhaps not enough for me to have both! As you say, the 16-35 is so good and so versatile. I'd say that if you want to shoot wider open, or if 35mm really is your favourite focal length, then the APO is pretty much a no-brainer. If not . . .