The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Leica Q2

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I love your reviews - always fun to read while providing just the right detail (for me)!

WRT Q2, this actually becomes finally a very viable option now for me as

1) for many purposes I would use a digital M with my still wonderful M lenses now, the Q2 would just nicely do it. Mainly I could see myself using it for 28 and 35mm shots while when needed even 50mm crop seems still to be very reasonable now.
2) 4k functionality together with HD slow motion in such a small and weather sealed package with Leica colours and lens quality is very tempting.
3) Finally the SL battery - an absolutely brilliant move by Leica as this would make me lust again for an SL2 or maybe even better a used SL :thumbup:

I am really interested!

PeterA

Great Review Jono -

Whilst on the topic 47 is now the new 24....

I'm looking forward to the 47MP "M11" - and people trying to focus the thing using a rangefinder....

If I were in the market for a single 'slow' lensed camera with a leaf shutter 1/2000th limited - the Q2 would be certainly considered.

Pete

k-hawinkler

Enjoy the new tool. :clap:
Why would anyone want to use the Q2 to shoot a 75mm focal length image? :loco:
I don’t get the thinking behind that approach. :facesmack:

Paratom

Enjoy the new tool. :clap:
Why would anyone want to use the Q2 to shoot a 75mm focal length image? :loco:
I don’t get the thinking behind that approach. :facesmack:
For people who get a long fine with the wide angle of 28/35 FOV for most of their shots, but occasionally want to shoot some casual portraits. Why not?

I think with the high MP sensors digital zoom has become more practical. Of course the Q2 wouldnt not be my first choice for a portrait session. but if I go on a hike, bring the Q2 for landscape images and then also want to take an image of the kids or the dog (which will be used on screen or for small prints) its a nice to have IMO.

jdphoto

I had the first Q and for the most part enjoyed it, but realized it did not offer the utility of a ILC. The 47mp will show any user error far more than 24mp, but at least will allow more generous crops. The Q2 is a little late to the party considering all the new cameras from Nikon, Canon and Lumix.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I had the first Q and for the most part enjoyed it, but realized it did not offer the utility of a ILC. The 47mp will show any user error far more than 24mp, but at least will allow more generous crops. The Q2 is a little late to the party considering all the new cameras from Nikon, Canon and Lumix.
Depends on what you consider a “party “.

The original Q was IMHO the best all around travel camera available . Functionally it did everything exceedingly well . Its a beautifully made camera ,produces very high image quality , has fast accurate AF and a stellar fast lens .

Its limitation has always been its a fixed lens solution and if you do not prefer 28mm as a standard FOV ...then probably not for you .

With a 47MP sensor ,faster Maestro2 processor , and weather sealing ...the Q2 is even better for travel .

Its weaknesses (or design limitations ) should be well known . The fast summilux lens is weak on the corners and after in camera corrections ....not the edge to edge sharpness sought for landscape . Its LCD is decent but it could be better if you intent would be to use it as a portable landscape system and focus off the rear LCD with a loupe /or magnified view .

Image quality should allow easily for prints thru 13x19 and with care larger ...but it will not match the MF alternatives or even the probably the S1R when it is released .

Its a purpose built design and as good as it gets in its niche .

TimWright

Hi Jono

Since you have tested both I’m wondering how the rendering of the 35 summicron on the SL compares with the rendering of the Q2’s at 35.

I have the 16-35 and your comparison has made me wonder if I need the 35.

Hope your review of the SL2 and 28 summicron show up soon.

Thanks

Godfrey

As usual, an excellent review and lovely photos, Jono!

The Q2 is a much more appealing camera than the Q, to me. The higher resolution makes it, never mind the weather sealing. The one accessory that would make it complete, for me, would be an optically matched 1.5x front-element teleconverter for those moments when just a little more reach with a little more pixel resolution would be appropriate. Not every subject needs 50 MPixel resolution ... I sold a lot of work made with a 4 Mpixel camera. But a bit more reach is often a necessity.

I don't think a Q will replace my CL because of the latter's system versatility (and inexpensive available batteries...), but the weather sealing and simplicity of a one lens camera choice is appealing to me.

G

Elderly

I've not *read* your review Jono ….. I just look at the pictures - they are truly wonderful

jonoslack

When you can relax after posting your notice on three Facebook groups and four Fora, and before you start off to test the SL2, can I ask a question or two?

Most important, since this seems to be the 2019-2020 imaging system that might be used in more than one Leica model, how does it stack up?
We can go to Sean Reid for fruit and vegetable accuracy, but you go in for brighter colors. Any surprises? How are the highlights -- does it handle them gracefully, or do you need to put in a safety factor with exposure compensation? Is there as much shadow detail to recover as on the M10 and CL?

You mention that Auto + PASM is rather confusing, but I don't even understand what that is trying to do for the user. Could you expand on that?

Does the lens really have OIS or is that done in software? And why does der Baron von Overgaard say not to use it?

What's the idea of having WiFi AND Bluetooth? Is the Bluetooth just to get date, time, and GPS from your phone? Have you used it?

Lovely review and very nice, albeit rather misty, pix!

cheers,

scott
HI There Scott
I think the sensor seems fine - I've not had trouble with blown highlights, and the detail etc. seems fine - shadow detail seems to be at least as good as the CL (perhaps better). To be honest, if it's 'good enough' then I tend not to go much further - I haven't really shot at 50ISO, but it might be good to do a comparison between it and 100 when I get back. We're off to France tomorrow, skiing, and if the weather forecast is wrong (which seems to suggest it will just rain) I might be able to check higher contrast stuff.

The Auto / PASM on the rear dial would need some more investigation (bit busy packing now), I would always have it on exposure compensation anyway.

I think it does have optical image stabilisation - I'll see if I can check up on that one - no idea why Thorsten says not to use it . . .

Bluetooth can keep connected at much lower power - you should be able to put location co-ordinates etc. from the phone into the exif, but Fotos doesn't seem to support it yet.

All the best
Jono

jonoslack

Interesting review, Jono; thanks!

A question about the cropped mode, as I'm a bit confused. When you look in the viewfinder in a cropped mode, do you see all the 28mm view with a white-line box showing the crop (similar to what you see with an M viewfinder), or do you see a magnified view of what would be in the box?

If you see crop lines superimposed on the 28mm view, doesn't that mean that at 75mm there is a tiny box? Doesn't that make it hard to judge what's going on?

Keep up the good work? I wonder what's next ;)
Hi there
Thank you - hope you're flourishing
it works as if it was a rangefinder, although you get white complete lines in the viewfinder - it's good! The 75 box is quite small, but easy to see what's happening. . . . Personally, to be honest, most of the time I didn't bother to use these modes, but it's good to know you can crop easily.

Ah! What's next! no idea :)

jonoslack

Hi Jono

Since you have tested both I’m wondering how the rendering of the 35 summicron on the SL compares with the rendering of the Q2’s at 35.

I have the 16-35 and your comparison has made me wonder if I need the 35.

Hope your review of the SL2 and 28 summicron show up soon.

Thanks
HI There
I haven't actually done a comparison between the 35/sl and the Q2, and sadly I now can't (the 35 has been returned to Leica).
But to be honest I think the point of the 35 'cron is to shoot it wide open, and I don't think the Q2 files would be as good (no criticism, as the 35 might just be the best lens ever made).

Best

jonoslack

Re: The Leica Q2. - Thank You

Hi There
I would just like to say a big THANK YOU for all the nice words.
It is quite a lot of work putting these things together but it really does make it all worthwhile.

Really Really

TimWright

HI There
I haven't actually done a comparison between the 35/sl and the Q2, and sadly I now can't (the 35 has been returned to Leica).
But to be honest I think the point of the 35 'cron is to shoot it wide open, and I don't think the Q2 files would be as good (no criticism, as the 35 might just be the best lens ever made).

Best
Thanks Jono sort of what I thought. I was almost ready to dump the SL until I tried the 90 cron and could not believe the quality and I’m now hooked. I found that I had more keepers from the original Q than I did from the M10 and my best shots with the 28 Summicron and the 50 lux were on the SL. I’m thinking the Q2 and the SL with 50 lux and 90 cron in the bag might be the perfect kit.

raist3d

Hi Everybody

Leica have just announced the Q2
here are my thoughts about it.

Leica Q2

All the best
Jono Slack
Hi again Jono- I know this is a lot of work, but do you happen to have any shots taken in the 75mm crop mode (6.6MP)? Curious how that looks like for a portrait. Not sure if you had a shot like that in your blog, maybe I missed it.

Thanks either way!

- Ricardo

jonoslack

Hi again Jono- I know this is a lot of work, but do you happen to have any shots taken in the 75mm crop mode (6.6MP)? Curious how that looks like for a portrait. Not sure if you had a shot like that in your blog, maybe I missed it.

Thanks either way!

- Ricardo
Hi Ricardo
I hope you’re flourishing
I’ll see what I can do, I don’t think I have anything shot explicitly at 75mm (I tend to crop after the event)
All the best

As usual, an excellent review and lovely photos, Jono!

The Q2 is a much more appealing camera than the Q, to me. The higher resolution makes it, never mind the weather sealing. The one accessory that would make it complete, for me, would be an optically matched 1.5x front-element teleconverter for those moments when just a little more reach with a little more pixel resolution would be appropriate. Not every subject needs 50 MPixel resolution ... I sold a lot of work made with a 4 Mpixel camera. But a bit more reach is often a necessity.

I don't think a Q will replace my CL because of the latter's system versatility (and inexpensive available batteries...), but the weather sealing and simplicity of a one lens camera choice is appealing to me.

G
YEEEEESSSSS PlEEEEEEEEAAAAAASE!!! I'm still shocked Leica or a third party hasn't done this yet!!! I'd actually prefer a 2x, but would take either. Even if it was expensive, I'd buy one in a second.