The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Leica Q2

Godfrey

Sure, my comment does not apply to you.
There may be other forum readers who want to submit their images to top competitions like World Press Photo or Wildlife Photographer of the Year. For those, they must keep the originals in the unlikely case that their images get selected. I think a Leica Q2 is well suited for as a tool for the mentioned competitions. ...
I would think that anyone who is engaged in work that requires specifically the original capture file for submission, validation, or whatever would know that and don't think I have to complicate my simple notion by trying to take into account every single possible circumstance both pro and con.

There are always exceptions to some specific practice. I'm not addressing the entire diversity of all specific practices when I offer a general opinion.

G

scott kirkpatrick

I'm not sure this discussion is getting to any conclusions, but I'll add my own practice. I like to be able to at least locate anything I've shot in the digital timeframe by reviewing galleries to spot the date and perhaps the file number and then reviewing original collections on that date to see if there were other shots that might also be of interest. That means for the first review step I keep jpeg selects online at about 25% reduction ratio. Original files (DNG, compressed or not, TIFFs from a digital back, Olympus and Fuji RAW files) I keep online for at most a year, but once they are a month old, I turn them into zip files a day at a time, and back them up to two USB disks of 4 TB each, one in the office, one at home. I erase rejects , unusables, and images of my lens caps. I also find that, when I LZ-compress a folder of DNGs the uncompressed Leica versions reduce by about 40%, a folder of the compressed ones grows by a few percent.

My film archive from 1967 to sometime in the 1980s when I packed up the darkroom resides in a friend's garage in the Bay area. At least I hope it is still there, and someday... I do still shoot film. As Godfrey describes, the scans are what is accessible, dust and all. They can be managed just like digital originals.

Godfrey

THX to Leica - this is an amazing camera!
X1D in combination with Leica Q2
I'm thinking more and more that this is a great pairing, but for me it will be the CL with my existing lens system + X1D with the 21mm lens...

I have to get my butt moving on some Ebay sales to get that X1D..! :D

G

ramosa

All,

A recent find online: https://www.dxomark.com/leica-q-2-sensor-review/

While I’m not a big fan of DXO ratings, this may be of interest here.

Regardless, I find the Q2 to be a very interesting camera. I’m trying to control the urge to sell another camera to buy a Q2 ;) ... I have previously owned a Q and lived everything about it except the focal length. But, as I closely review the files I took with it, I think I may be able live at 28mm better than I thought I could.

Godfrey

I'm thinking more and more that this is a great pairing, but for me it will be the CL with my existing lens system + X1D with the 21mm lens...
I've gone back and forth on buying the X1D a dozen times. I really like that camera, but between the fact that it's going to be another $8000 and the fact that it's kinda large and heavy I remain reluctant. I have to experiment with other paths to what I want first.

This has little to do with the Q2, but the more I look at the Q2 the more appealing it gets. Hmm hmm hmmm..

G

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Dust on the Q2’s sensor? I don’t want to hear that, and I don’t even have a Q2.
Apologies. "Dust" was a response to the notion of film. My Q has never shown dust, nor has any fixed lens camera I've owned with the exception of an iPhone 3.

As for the "two words", it's an oblique reference to Sam Goldwyn's famous (if apocryphal) "Two words: Im-possible." And an even more oblique reference to "Mr. President, I bet $50 that I could get three words out of you." "You lose."

Matt

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I've gone back and forth on buying the X1D a dozen times. I really like that camera, but between the fact that it's going to be another $8000 and the fact that it's kinda large and heavy I remain reluctant. I have to experiment with other paths to what I want first.

This has little to do with the Q2, but the more I look at the Q2 the more appealing it gets. Hmm hmm hmmm..

G
Focal length (well, FoV) is a funny thing. I shot almost everything at 28mm for years. The 28 Cron on the M, the Q, and even a 35XL on an IQ140. I never liked the wider 24mm on M (30 on S) FoV, but then the S24 came out and I fell in love with that. I've had 16-35mm zooms on FF, but the 16 seemed too wide, and I never stopped to examine 18-19mm.

The problem with the X1D is that there is a big gap between the 21mm (excellent lens, but very wide FoV) and the 30mm (24mm on FF, which I don't care for). A 24mm lens on the X1D would be great. I *did* get the 24mm Canon TS-E, but that's not really hand-holdable, as its best aperture is f/11, and it's bigger and heavier than the comparable XCD lenses.

M

Godfrey

Focal length (well, FoV) is a funny thing. ...

The problem with the X1D is that there is a big gap between the 21mm (excellent lens, but very wide FoV) and the 30mm (24mm on FF, which I don't care for). A 24mm lens on the X1D would be great. I *did* get the 24mm Canon TS-E, but that's not really hand-holdable, as its best aperture is f/11, and it's bigger and heavier than the comparable XCD lenses.
I agree that FoV is a funny thing. I never liked FF "middle very wide" range very much ... 24, 28 usually leave me flat and I want 35 up to about 90 of the time. When I want ultra wide, the Hassy SWC has been my gold standard for years.

The X1D with the 21 would do it beautifully, but I just can't bring myself to spend the money for the amount I'd likely use it. So I've got to try other possibilities first. I ordered the Voigtländer 10mm and will experiment with that on the CL. If the lens performance is up to snuff, it will likely do the job I want, and the price is pretty reasonable.

Sorry for the digression. :D

G

Shashin

Focal length (well, FoV) is a funny thing.
Including the aspect ratio of the format. I find it interesting how we can acclimatize our visual system to the camera system. I have found changing focal length and format quite complex, requiring time for me to adjust to it. But then I get used to that, even to the point of returning to previous formats and having to learn to see with them all over again. What has surprised me is how I am getting use to the 3:2 ratio I used to have such a hard time with (my X Pro2 and XF10 is the reason).

There is more to perspective than meets the eye. (Every possible pun intended (if I am going to write that, I will own it).) :toocool: