The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Leica Q2

scott kirkpatrick

Hi Everybody

Leica have just announced the Q2
here are my thoughts about it.

Leica Q2

All the best
Jono Slack
When you can relax after posting your notice on three Facebook groups and four Fora, and before you start off to test the SL2, can I ask a question or two?

Most important, since this seems to be the 2019-2020 imaging system that might be used in more than one Leica model, how does it stack up?
We can go to Sean Reid for fruit and vegetable accuracy, but you go in for brighter colors. Any surprises? How are the highlights -- does it handle them gracefully, or do you need to put in a safety factor with exposure compensation? Is there as much shadow detail to recover as on the M10 and CL?

You mention that Auto + PASM is rather confusing, but I don't even understand what that is trying to do for the user. Could you expand on that?

Does the lens really have OIS or is that done in software? And why does der Baron von Overgaard say not to use it?

What's the idea of having WiFi AND Bluetooth? Is the Bluetooth just to get date, time, and GPS from your phone? Have you used it?

Lovely review and very nice, albeit rather misty, pix!

cheers,

scott

Robert Campbell

Interesting review, Jono; thanks!

A question about the cropped mode, as I'm a bit confused. When you look in the viewfinder in a cropped mode, do you see all the 28mm view with a white-line box showing the crop (similar to what you see with an M viewfinder), or do you see a magnified view of what would be in the box?

If you see crop lines superimposed on the 28mm view, doesn't that mean that at 75mm there is a tiny box? Doesn't that make it hard to judge what's going on?

Keep up the good work? I wonder what's next ;)

Sapphie

Great words and pictures, Jono. Can I just ask if the sample images are derived from DNGs or are they SOOC?

Thanks
Lee

D&A

A question about the cropped mode, as I'm a bit confused. When you look in the viewfinder in a cropped mode, do you see all the 28mm view with a white-line box showing the crop (similar to what you see with an M viewfinder), or do you see a magnified view of what would be in the box?

If you see crop lines superimposed on the 28mm view, doesn't that mean that at 75mm there is a tiny box? Doesn't that make it hard to judge what's going on?

Robert, I certainly don't want to speak for Jono. Heck, I'm certain I couldn't emulate his accent :)...but I am positive the crops are seen in the Q2 viewfinder as a white color crop rectangle/box, much the same one sees in a M camera. It overlays the full 28mm view. Therefore the 75mm box is a small size relative to the entire 28mm field of view, somewhat akin to what one sees when the 90mm frame line is brought up in a camera like the M9, M240 etc.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

SrMphoto

Leica Q2 manual is online.
Page 92 has image of the "digital zoom" modes: white lines in 28mm view.

iiiNelson

Not that much over my D850 with a 28mm lens. Certainly not enough to make me buy it
Is this your default “troll” in every thread? I think everyone underatands by now that you enjoy your D850. It’s a great camera but it’s not for everyone.

Thanks for the review Jono. Looks like a great successor to the original Q and I’m guessing we can/should expect the SL2 to employ the same sensor as the Q2 and S1R. It’ll be great for Leica users to finally have a 35mm high megapixel option as well for those that want to remain in the brand.

Robert Campbell

Robert, I certainly don't want to speak for Jono. Heck, I'm certain I couldn't emulate his accent :)...but I am positive the crops are seen in the Q2 viewfinder as a white color crop rectangle/box, much the same one sees in a M camera. It overlays the full 28mm view. Therefore the 75mm box is a small size relative to the entire 28mm field of view, somewhat akin to what one sees when the 90mm frame line is brought up in a camera like the M9, M240 etc.

Dave (D&A)

Thanks; I downloaded the manual, and what you get is as if it were an M viewfinder.

Charles2

Thanks, it's what I thought. 35mm is OK, the others are a bit small IMO.
Regardless of the preview, a good reminder in JS's review is that while a 35mm crop delivers a 30 megapixel file, the bokeh effect remains that of a 28mm lens. The same point goes with more emphasis at 50mm and 75mm crops.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you for the review, Jono. It's a tempting camera, possibly the best value Leica. If they made a 50mm version I would be very tempted. Actually I am tempted even with the 28mm. My "carry everywhere" combo at the moment includes the MFT Zuiko 12mm, and that works just fine. Maybe I'm starting to grow up :)

Shashin

Just what this place needs, a new toy dangled in front of us. I just don't know how many times I can keep selling my kidneys.

As always, an enjoyable read. Actually Jono, I just enjoy your photography. There is something very relaxing about it. Perhaps as a former resident of East Anglia, it is just nostalgia. But your images do reflect my experience of the country. I also can't get enough of your dog pictures...

raist3d

Without a question this camera will sell like hot cakes (at that tier) if the first Q did. This is so much better.

I already examined the RAW files from dpreview and pushed hard they do not seem to show the banding that the first Q sensor had.

A quip Jono - I am not sure the Leica Q is a camera that fits in a jacket pocket, but maybe I am missing some particular Jackets ;-)

I bet 500 million USD dollars that the sensor is made by Panasonic, the same one they are using in their new line of FF cameras S1 / S1R (not a bad thing). The main circuit and all etc is most likely Panasonic design, but the lens and specs are all Leica. (Again, not a bad thing).

If I was a 28mm shooter I would, but I have two issues- I am not a 28mm shooter and I really like small. A Ricoh GR III would be more my choice.

(not that again, this Leica Q2 doesn't look absolutely amazing.).

- Ricardo

retow

Thanks Jono for an excellent review of a convincing Leica. I wished it had a f2 or faster 35mm lens & wide angle converter.....:cry:

scott kirkpatrick

Just what this place needs, a new toy dangled in front of us. I just don't know how many times I can keep selling my kidneys.

But your images do reflect my experience of the country. I also can't get enough of your dog pictures...
I'd advise not selling more than one kidney. So perhaps keep your powder dry until the SL2 has been unveiled and the CL2 rumored.
Even more than adorable dogs, I look forward with each new lens or camera to ever sharper-looking grandkids and Chinese potential in-laws in tea-farming country. It has been quite a story.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
As normal Jono, a great real world review vs the slew of click bait that turned up today.

It's the worthy successor to the Q and RX1RII (which I miss after selling it). I'd certainly consider one as my compact travel camera although I'd have to test it against my M10 WATE/35 Lux, 90 Elmarit system.

Last edited: