Site Sponsors

Thread: Misc M8 Questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Misc M8 Questions

I like to use fill flash sometimes, does anyone know if there is an adapter to put a canon or Nikon flash on the M8 hotshoe and get the automatic camera controlled flash operation? I would hate to have to buy another flash unit.

Is it everyones opinion that C-1 is the preferred software to modify the Leica raw files?

Thank you.

Gary P

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Misc M8 Questions

I use my SB-800s on the M8, but only in Manual mode. I don't know of any way to have the camera control the flash. Manual works fine, however.

I use C1, but also Lightroom and ACR (on PS4). I sometimes think C-1 gives me better results, but not uniformly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Lloyd!

I really enjoy your work by the way! I always look forward to your new posts in the "fun with" thread. It's inspiring!

I just purchased Jack F's Leica system and am trying to get settled into the drivers seat if you will. I hope to have something worthy to post soon.

Gary P

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The only flashes that work with M-TTL are the dedicated Leica flashes
    There are two of the newest Metz flashes that work with restrictions (secondary flash not firing in bounce mode) and SCA compatible Metz flashes will work in the "a" setting and will communicate with the camera through the 3502 M4 and 3502 M5 SCA adapter, which means flash ready signal, setting of sync speed and motorzoom reflector.
    Nearly all other flashes will function in manual mode, with a restriction for flashes like the Canon ones, that have no "a"control on the flash - making the operation more fiddly. My experience is that the Metz Z series and MZ series flashes make great companions for the M8, and being older, they are really cheap. For professional work there is no getting around using one or more Leica SF 58 flashes. There is an article on that in the latest LFI.
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gary P View Post
    Thanks Lloyd!

I really enjoy your work by the way! I always look forward to your new posts in the "fun with" thread. It's inspiring!

I just purchased Jack F's Leica system and am trying to get settled into the drivers seat if you will. I hope to have something worthy to post soon.

Gary P
    Thanks Gary. I'm flattered.

Congrats on the new kit... looking forward to some great results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My C1 tip for Leica M8 shooters: Set the sharpening and NR to these settings and save them as your defaults:

Amount 98%
    Radius 0.4
    Threshold 2
    Lum NR 0
    Color NR 40

These are excellent starting points for up through ISO 640, and I think you'll find they generate a nice smooth, yet sharp file (). For ISO 1250, move the Lum NR up to 40; for 2500 move the Color to 60.

Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
    The only flashes that work with M-TTL are the dedicated Leica flashes
    There are two of the newest Metz flashes that work with restrictions (secondary flash not firing in bounce mode) and SCA compatible Metz flashes will work in the "a" setting and will communicate with the camera through the 3502 M4 and 3502 M5 SCA adapter, which means flash ready signal, setting of sync speed and motorzoom reflector.
    Nearly all other flashes will function in manual mode, with a restriction for flashes like the Canon ones, that have no "a"control on the flash - making the operation more fiddly. My experience is that the Metz Z series and MZ series flashes make great companions for the M8, and being older, they are really cheap. For professional work there is no getting around using one or more Leica SF 58 flashes. There is an article on that in the latest LFI.
    caveat: the newest canon 580exII has a thyristor included, custom function 5, -3 enables what we used to call "A" mode- you set the aperture, ISO, and the flash delivers the correct exposure.

flash is very top heavy however.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great Info! Thank you!

Gary P

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gary P View Post

Is it everyones opinion that C-1 is the preferred software to modify the Leica raw files?

Thank you.

Gary P
    Not mine - I have (and use C-1) but I'm never quite happy with the colour with the M8 files. I don't use Lightroom, so I can't comment, but I find that Aperture does a grand job with the M8 files.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You could use Jamie Roberts' profiles - they are an improvement on the standard ones.
    JAAP

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    My C1 tip for Leica M8 shooters: Set the sharpening and NR to these settings and save them as your defaults:

Amount 98%
    Radius 0.4
    Threshold 2
    Lum NR 0
    Color NR 40

These are excellent starting points for up through ISO 640, and I think you'll find they generate a nice smooth, yet sharp file (). For ISO 1250, move the Lum NR up to 40; for 2500 move the Color to 60.

Cheers,
    Jack, how do I save defaults in C4?
    JAAP

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, how do I save defaults in C4?
    dial in the values Jack gave.

under the upside down triangle next to SHARPENING hit "Save as Defaults" and remember to do the same under NOISE REDUCTION (or you can add new presets, such as "up to 640," "1250," and "2500" for NR).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You could use Jamie Roberts' profiles - they are an improvement on the standard ones.
    Hi Jaap
    I did, and I agree they're an improvement . . . . still prefer Aperture though, and it makes the rest of life so much easier as well!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    dial in the values Jack gave.

under the upside down triangle next to SHARPENING hit "Save as Defaults" and remember to do the same under NOISE REDUCTION (or you can add new presets, such as "up to 640," "1250," and "2500" for NR).
    Thanks. i had to put on my glasses for the triangle
    JAAP

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. i had to put on my glasses for the triangle
    Must be nice... I have to put on my glasses to see the damn computer screen!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There are 26" screens out there now....

Anyway, what native sharpening do people use for the DMR?
    JAAP

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

hey, Jaap!

i got a question for you.... since you mentioned it on that other forum, how to you set your preference for "process" (i.e., M8 output) to 16-bit from C1? it only seems to spit out 8-bit, but i imagine i'm just missing something.... i mean, even Epson Raw spat out 16-bit.

TIA

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

This is great stuff!! On the basis of that article, I just tried an SB800 on my M8. Auto mode, and set aperture, zoom, etc. manually. Worked like a charm!!! and the Flash indicator (and shutter speed, when in "A") were also working. I'm more than thrilled!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

hey, Jaap!

i got a question for you.... since you mentioned it on that other forum, how to you set your preference for "process" (i.e., M8 output) to 16-bit from C1? it only seems to spit out 8-bit, but i imagine i'm just missing something.... i mean, even Epson Raw spat out 16-bit.

TIA
    I dont know - I'm on C4 and it is the default.
    JAAP

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! Thanks from me too.

New Leica user who doesn't expect to use flash much with the M8, but I have a couple of SB-800s and an SB-900 - will be trying this soon just to know how.
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like

hey, Jaap!

TIA
    I use COne 4.7 Pro, which lets me output multiple versions of an image, so there's a chance that I am describing something missing in the entry version, but
    goto Process (the toothed wheel) and select Format (jpeg, tiff, dng), once TIFF is selected you can choose between 8 bit and 16 bit.

scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    I use COne 4.7 Pro, which lets me output multiple versions of an image, so there's a chance that I am describing something missing in the entry version, but
    goto Process (the toothed wheel) and select Format (jpeg, tiff, dng), once TIFF is selected you can choose between 8 bit and 16 bit.
    scott,

it didn't quite work so easy for me -- but you did force me to find it. thank you!