The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

a "mini-digital SWC" ... Leica CL + Voigtländer 10mm, cropped square

Godfrey

The photos are what I care about. I love seeing what others do with this notion of the ultra wide square so typified by the SWC. Post away!

:D

G

pegelli

Last week I read an article about the Olympus Body Cap / Fisheye 9 mm f8, a very cheap lens (less than 100 € here in the area) that when defished is somewhere equivalent to a 7 mm rectalinear on M4/3. Defishing works very well with the Sigma fisheye 10/2.8 set at 110% distortion. Then cropping square so the fuzzy corners are cut off and you've got a real poor man's digital SWC, or even a bit wider.

So rather than the > 600 € Laowa I decided to get this "el cheapo" lens for my EP-3 and try it out. If it doesn't work out it's an expensive body cap, but if it does give reasonable results it comes in an extremely light and portable package that I might take along more often.

Here's the first results, while cycling through Eindhoven from the shop to the parking garage where I dropped off the car.
You all be the judge if it's passing muster.

1: The river Dommel, in the background the city brewery

2: "Party Factory, 151 shots"

Btw, I don't think it's the type of shots we talk about on this forum :lecture:

3: Canopy

4: Scary mural

I used a bit heavy handed B&W conversion, which fitted the scenes I thought.

Last edited:

Godfrey

Last week I read an article about the Olympus Body Cap / Fisheye 9 mm f8, a very cheap lens (less than 100 € here in the area) that when defished is somewhere equivalent to a 7 mm rectalinear on M4/3. Defishing works very well with the Sigma fisheye 10/2.8 set at 110% distortion. Then cropping square so the fuzzy corners are cut off and you've got a real poor man's digital SWC, or even a bit wider.

So rather than the > 600 € Laowa I decided to get this "el cheapo" lens for my EP-3 and try it out. If it doesn't work out it's an expensive body cap, but if it does give reasonable results it comes in an extremely light and portable package that I might take along more often.

Here's the first results, while cycling through Eindhoven from the shop to the parking garage where I dropped off the car.
You all be the judge if it's passing muster.

1: The river Dommel, in the background the city brewery

2: "Party Factory, 151 shots"

Btw, I don't think it's the type of shots we talk about on this forum :lecture:

3: Canopy

4: Scary mural

I used a bit heavy handed B&W conversion, which fitted the scenes I thought.
The two body-cap lenses from Olympus are delightful ... small, good rendering, and a pleasure to work with. I have both of them and have used them quite a lot, particularly when I had the E-PL7 body. Your photos look very good, what were you using to defish the 9mm?

Comparing imaging quality with the SWC using these small JPEGs isn't really a very useful comparison and the shooting options available given the small 13x13 mm sensor area are limited in much the same way as the Voigtländer 10mm shooting options on APS-C are ... But what the heck? Make great photos and fugettabout it. And save a bunch of money in the process! Can't complain about that!

I love the wide square meme, how you get there is really just an implementation detail! :D

G

pegelli

The two body-cap lenses from Olympus are delightful ... small, good rendering, and a pleasure to work with. I have both of them and have used them quite a lot, particularly when I had the E-PL7 body. Your photos look very good, what were you using to defish the 9mm?

Comparing imaging quality with the SWC using these small JPEGs isn't really a very useful comparison and the shooting options available given the small 13x13 mm sensor area are limited in much the same way as the Voigtländer 10mm shooting options on APS-C are ... But what the heck? Make great photos and fugettabout it. And save a bunch of money in the process! Can't complain about that!

I love the wide square meme, how you get there is really just an implementation detail! :D

G
Thanks Godfrey, I have no doubt the technical quality of these images are way below what could be achieved with quality Hasselblad equipment (either digital or film) but that's indeed not the point, these are just for my own pleasure and sharing here so I agree "what the heck". Next Time I'll get the other body cap lens as well and see how I like that on my EP-3

To defish I use the method I read in a Dutch article on the lens, i.e. Lightroom and use the profile for the Sigma 10/2.8 fisheye and set the distortion slider of that profile at 110%. As far as I can see it looks pretty right, at least so right that I'm not planning the trouble to create my own custom profile. I also tried the PTlens defishing option and doesn't look too bad either.

Here's the non defished version of the last shot. Maybe this emulates the Distagon 30/3.5 fish-eye, albeit at a lower quality again :lecture:

pegelli

How about some perspective correction (much easier with digital versus the old darkroom days)

Or one that doesn't need it :facesmack:

both EP-3 + defished Olympus "bodycap" fisheye 9/8

AlanS

I put my Pany 7-14 on the Pen-f, set it to 9mm and went for a walk by the river Wear this morning. Very liberating tbh, just set hyperfocal for most shots and go....
(oh and the Pen has square framelines!).

Godfrey

I put my Pany 7-14 on the Pen-f, set it to 9mm and went for a walk by the river Wear this morning. Very liberating tbh, just set hyperfocal for most shots and go....
(oh and the Pen has square framelines!).

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48606313087_71076f85d6_o.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48606170446_ca62665831_o.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48606312967_be604bc44e_o.jpg
Indeed! Very liberating and fun! Nice work! :)

I have a few still in-camera that I made this week. An amusing thing is that when I've spent a good long couple of days shooting with the HyperWide 10mm lens, a Summilux 35mm normal lens on the Leica CL seems a telephoto! :D

G

AlanS

Thank's Godfrey, I have a few more to process yet so will post as I get through them.
It's funny how you normalise for a lens (in this case swa) and adjust your viewpoint to suit. Had to keep getting closer and closer at first! :ROTFL:

pegelli

Lobby of the Rijksmuseum (Amsterdam)

The truth?

Both Olympus EP-3 + bodycap 9/8 fisheye, defished

Godfrey

A couple from my bicycle ride on Sunday.

Both: Leica CL + Voigtländer 10mm f/5.6
ISO 100 @ f/8 @ 1/100

Enjoy!
G

pegelli

I like the door + light Godfrey, simple but very effective.

Some more EP-3 + defished bodycap 9/8 lens from me

Amsterdam Arcade

In the former Amsterdam post office

Rust is art ;)

Shroom macro (MFD = 20 cm)

Godfrey

Same evening as the previous post I made ...

Leica CL + Voigtländer 10mm f/5.6
ISO 6400 @ f/8 @ 1/60

A little self reflective, but I liked the softness of the shadow against the crispness of the pavement and its markings. :)

enjoy!
G

Godfrey

Got these a little out of order but eh? doesn't really matter.

I took a nice cycle ride on Wednesday... Hopped the train with the Fatboy Comp Carbon here in Santa Clara and exitted in Redwood City.

I met a friend there for lunch. Afterwards, I let Google Maps guide me back down the Peninsula towards Mountain View. I had it set to cycling and it took me through a marvelously twisty and fun route that I'd never have dreamed up myself. I stopped several times to make a photo when the light and the scene moved me.

First, at the edge of Menlo Park and Palo Alto, there was this giraffe:

After that, I crossed over the US 101 highway complex at the Arastradero maze using the very long pedestrian bridge there and headed out on the Bay Trail. It was a lovely day out and the trail was completely empty when I was there, the first time that's happened on the rides I've taken there.

This trail goes way out onto the edge of SF Bay, and can take you onto dirt around east of Moffet Field, but I didn't want to go that way. Hopping back over US 101 via another pedestrian bridge, and then wiggling through one neighborhood after another, I found myself right back at one of my favorite cafe's in downtown Mountain View, Dana Street Roasting Company. These chairs begged to be photographed, the light was stunning in rich contrasts.

From there to home is a (mostly boring) pretty straight shot down Evelyn and onto Monroe, about 8 miles or so long. I didn't stop again to make any photos in that section, I just pounded pedals and flew as it is slightly downhill most of the way…

All told, it was 27 miles on that run at 11.8 mph average speed. I pummeled down 1400 calories of pedaling... It was great! All photos with the Leica CL fitted with Voigtländer 10mm f/5.6 lens ... of course. :D

enjoy! G

pegelli

No square emulated SWC crops for more than 2 1/2 years, can't have that.

After posting the one below yesterday I remembered this thread but it took a little time finding it, I thought it was in the Hasselblad forum but finally found it in the Leica forum 🤓, and now I've even used the right camera to be posting in this subforum :cool:

So my next try:
Antwerp "Nieuw Zuid", a whole new developed area on the spot of a former large railroad shunting yard

M246M + MC W-Rokkor 17/4