The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

a "mini-digital SWC" ... Leica CL + Voigtländer 10mm, cropped square

Godfrey

Following on from participating in Dave's thread on "a modern SWC" in medium format digital ...
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-and-digital-backs/66312-modern-swc.html
... I thought a thread in the Leica forum concentrating on the CL used with this amazing Voigtländer HyperWide 10mm f/5.6 lens might be apropos. I posted a few photos already in Dave's thread; here are a few more photos.

---
All of these with the Leica CL and Voigtländer Hyper-Wide 10mm.
Some are more heavily processed than my usual. :D

From last Sunday's cycle ride around and in San Jose, it was Father's Day and the restaurant next door to the cafe I stopped at was hosting a private family party. A few minutes after I sat down with my snack/lunch, the party broke and a huge wave of folks spilled onto the sidewalk...

One of the musicians from the party pulled his rental scooter over and sat down to rest a moment. I guess he was tuckered out by the party.

I was having a grand day's ride and pushing ... realized I hadn't eaten since an early breakfast and needed some calories ... so a quick cafe snack for lunch.

Next stop on my ride was Japan Town. I wanted to make a photograph of the memorial there to see how the ultrawide lens would work, but I couldn't help a little beauty shot of my bicycle parked on the corner.

This is really what I stopped for: I've often tried to get a good photograph of the memorial but it's difficult because the ideal place to stand is right in the middle of a busy intersection. The ultrawide lens allowed me to be closer and still capture the whole thing, albeit not with my usual square crop but with the full format, then crop to a long 16:9 proportion. I decided a diptych was the right way to present it, showing the small but critical element: "February 19, 1942" ...the date of Executive Order 9066, which gave the U.S. Army the authority to remove civilians from the military zones established in Washington, Oregon, and California during WWII.

Borrowing from https://jacl.org/events/day-of-remembrance/

... This Executive Order led to the forced removal and incarceration of some 120,000 Americans of Japanese ancestry living on the West Coast, who had to abandon their jobs, their homes, and their lives to be sent to one of ten concentration camps scattered in desolate, remote regions of the country.

No Japanese Americans were ever charged, much less convicted, of espionage or sabotage against the United States. Yet they were targeted, rounded up, and imprisoned for years, simply for having the "face of the enemy."

Every February, the Japanese American community commemorates Executive Order 9066 as a reminder of the impact the incarceration experience has had on our families, our community, and our country. It is an opportunity to educate others on the fragility of civil liberties in times of crisis, and the importance of remaining vigilant in protecting the rights and freedoms of all.
This has some personal significance to me: One of my good friends from college days spent some twenty-plus years of her life working with the effort to obtain some compensation and restitution for the losses of her mother and father, and the whole Japanese-American community by extension, which were only finalized a little over a decade ago, half a century later.

Whenever I ride through Japan Town and see the memorial standing there in its mute testimony, I think of her and of what it stands for.

Onwards...
G

Godfrey

I really love square photos, and square photos made with the field of view of an ultra wide lens just hit the numbers for me. That's not to say that it is easy ... It always takes a bit of time for my to calibrate my mind to seeing with such a wide field of view.

I carried the camera on yesterday's cycle ride to lunch at Roy's Station Cafe in Japan Town and became inspired when I got there to play with some hand-held still life photos...

All taken with Leica CL + Voigtländer HyperWide 10mm f/5.6.

Enjoy!
G

Godfrey

More photos using the "mini digital Hasselblad SWC" aka the Leica CL plus Voigtländer 10mm lens... These were taken while I was riding on two different bicycle rides last week. Focusing on trees along the paths.*

All: Leica CL + Voigtländer HyperWide 10mm f/5.6, f/8 aperture setting

What's truly great about this setup is how small and light it is. It fits with tons of room to spare in the Wotancraft Mini Rider and is extremely handy for carrying with me on my bicycle rides. The camera and lens together with the half case weighs 1 lb, 4 ounces.*

Another thing I'm pretty delighted with is that all of the photos I've shown so far were*made hand-held, and they're very sharp with lovely texture and tonal scale. I know that once I go out for a session and use a tripod too they'll be even better quality!

enjoy!*
G

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Godfrey,

Mind if I join in? Leica TL2+11-23 at 11mm. Not quite as wide as the Voigtlander, but here's a square crop:

Sorry for all the Park Avenue photos. I just walk by that block a lot and it's a good place to test wide angle lenses. I live on the unfashionable West Side.

Oh, the cabs are orange, but I boosted them to white and darkened the blue. Just having fun,

Matt

Godfrey

Godfrey,

Mind if I join in? Leica TL2+11-23 at 11mm. Not quite as wide as the Voigtlander, but here's a square crop:

Sorry for all the Park Avenue photos. I just walk by that block a lot and it's a good place to test wide angle lenses. I live on the unfashionable West Side.

https://flic.kr/p/2gmE8Yw

Oh, the cabs are orange, but I boosted them to white and darkened the blue. Just having fun,

Matt
Not at all. Nice work with it! :)

The Leica TL 11-23 was another lens I was interested in ... I visited the Leica Store in SF with the notion of trying one, but (as usual) they were all sold out. I'm glad I tried the Voigtländer first.

This is one of the four exposures I made on today's cycle ride...

Always Another Cafe Stop on the Ride
Caffe Frascati, San Jose 2019
Leica CL + Voigtländer 10mm f/5.6
ISO 400 @ f/8 @ 1/60

enjoy!

G

Shashin

Not as wide as either of yours, but a Fuji X Pro2 with a 14mm is my SWC fix...

Those white spots in the sky are stars.

MGrayson

Here's a fun question - and I can't think of a better forum for it:

What does an image from a 0mm lens look like? OK, that's undefined. How about the limit as FL->0 of a picture taken with a focal length FL lens?

--Matt

Godfrey

What does an image from a 0mm lens look like? OK, that's undefined. How about the limit as FL->0 of a picture taken with a focal length FL lens?

--Matt
Look like in what respect?

MGrayson

The answer is a collection of lines radiating from the center of the frame. Each line is the color determined by rays in the plane parallel to the front of the lens. Details to follow.

A close rendition is: take the pixels on the perimeter of a shot. Now extend each pixel in a straight line of the same color to the center of the frame.

Actually, take the edge circle of a 180 degree fish-eye photo and extend the lines radially from that circle.

Matt

Last edited:

Shashin

--Matt
This is assuming not a fisheye design that uses equal angle, but the rectilinear design we all love. The image would be extremely odd as it it extends to the edge with the center of the image containing "normal" perspective getting increasingly smaller. This would not actually be a lens distortion, but a problem with viewing distance--projection geometry could solve this. We are all familiar with the wide-angle effect where three-dimensional objects seem stretched along the radial axis, the shorter the focal length, the greater this perception of stretching would become as the ratio between the actual and "correct* viewing distances increase. The "correct" viewing distance being relative to the focal length and format. Given a focal length approaching zero, I would expect the stretching to to be so extreme that the center of the image that would look relatively normal will become very, very small with the stretching toward the edge of the frame being so extreme that it would seem like radial lines.

Also given the rectilinear projection, the angle of view would approach 180 degrees as the focal length approaches zero, but will never reach zero as a zero focal length is not possible.

Also, vignetting cause by the angle of incidence would be extreme. The edge would be dark if not black because exposure would be insufficient. The center filter for that beast would be amazing.

Another trival question. Was is the fastest (f-number) simple lens you can design and what would it look like?

MGrayson

This is assuming not a fisheye design that uses equal angle, but the rectilinear design we all love. The image would be extremely odd as it it extends to the edge with the center of the image containing "normal" perspective getting increasingly smaller. This would not actually be a lens distortion, but a problem with viewing distance--projection geometry could solve this. We are all familiar with the wide-angle effect where three-dimensional objects seem stretched along the radial axis, the shorter the focal length, the greater this perception of stretching would become as the ratio between the actual and "correct* viewing distances increase. The "correct" viewing distance being relative to the focal length and format. Given a focal length approaching zero, I would expect the stretching to to be so extreme that the center of the image that would look relatively normal will become very, very small with the stretching toward the edge of the frame being so extreme that it would seem like radial lines.

Also given the rectilinear projection, the angle of view would approach 180 degrees as the focal length approaches zero, but will never reach zero as a zero focal length is not possible.

Also, vignetting cause by the angle of incidence would be extreme. The edge would be dark if not black because exposure would be insufficient. The center filter for that beast would be amazing.

Another trival question. Was is the fastest (f-number) simple lens you can design and what would it look like?
Fastest lens? I guess that would depend on the index of refraction. A diamond lens? No idea....

Trying the Voigtlander 10 on the TL2, and some offensive over-processing:

Matt

Last edited:

Shashin

Fastest lens? I guess that would depend on the index of refraction. A diamond lens? No idea....
f/0.5. It would simply be a hemisphere placed on the image plane. For example, think of a 100mm sphere cut in half, making a 50mm, f/0.5 lens for a 35mm format. Totally theoretical (probably thought up by a mathematician ;) ). But it was a question in my optics classes at college.

MGrayson

f/0.5. It would simply be a hemisphere placed on the image plane. For example, think of a 100mm sphere cut in half, making a 50mm, f/0.5 lens for a 35mm format. Totally theoretical (probably thought up by a mathematician ;) ). But it was a question in my optics classes at college.
Thanks. Gotta think about that....

Shashin

Thanks. Gotta think about that....
Looking at your photograph with very simple linear features made think about your finite focal length problem. Would a 2-D subject not be distorted, only 3-D? The wide-angle effect does not make flat planes appear distorted, only objects with depth.

Consider:

Godfrey

Ahh ... back to some photographs, I guess. :D

My bicycle ride today brought me right up past this little thing:

ISO 100 @ f/8 @ 1/160

It's a monstrosity, but eh? It's only obnoxious when they close the trail during events.

enjoy!
G

MGrayson

Yeah. Sorry. I've taken the theoretical discussion off-line.

The 10mm Voigtlander is impressive. It may not sound much wider than the 11-23, but 10% is quite a noticeable difference. And it's smaller. And doesn't require focusing - f/8 and be there.

More pictures soon...

Matt

JoelM

Yeah. Sorry. I've taken the theoretical discussion off-line.

The 10mm Voigtlander is impressive. It may not sound much wider than the 11-23, but 10% is quite a noticeable difference. And it's smaller. And doesn't require focusing - f/8 and be there.

More pictures soon...

Matt
Interesting subject matter. As a theoretical physicist (optical researcher as well), I studied boundary problems such as these and solved thousands of these problems mathematically. Unfortunately, I never considered the real-world results such as those you brought up. The thing is, most boundary problems, those that have limits approaching zero, infinity, speed of light, etc., don't actually have real world answers, just mostly theory. However, the mental fodder is fantastic and stirs the rust in my aging grey matter.

Thanks,

Joel

MGrayson

Interesting subject matter. As a theoretical physicist (optical researcher as well), I studied boundary problems such as these and solved thousands of these problems mathematically. Unfortunately, I never considered the real-world results such as those you brought up. The thing is, most boundary problems, those that have limits approaching zero, infinity, speed of light, etc., don't actually have real world answers, just mostly theory. However, the mental fodder is fantastic and stirs the rust in my aging grey matter.

Thanks,

Joel
These ARE fun problems. I thought about standing on the Ringworld for a long time. (Assume the limit as the ring gets infinitely large, but with constant proportions). Finally just had Mathematica do the projective geometry for me.

Oh, and must include a mini-SWC pic:

Watching Sunset

Matt (yes, there’s a lamppost coming out of his head. I’m still not used to seeing at this UWA)

Last edited:

Godfrey

From one of my downtown cafe stops last week...

ISO 160 @ f/8 @ 1/15

enjoy!
G