The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Speaking of bags... :)

dave.gt

Wow, I just turned around and realized it has been well over a decade since I bought my Billingham Hadley Pro. It still looks presentable and does everything I need. It has been the best bag ever and having carried it with me daily for that long, I am not about to get rid of it! It is that good.:)

It is time to switch gears just a little... for there are times that I really miss leather! I am thinking of treating myself to an ONA Berlin II bag. Used, is ok.

And no, it will be mostly for a smaller camera than Medium Format and not to be taken in photo shoots, hikes, etc. it will be my more formal bag in a way.:)

Has anyone had experience with the Berlin II?

* I know... there is no perfect bag and everybody has opinions about every bag. I don't want suggestions on another bag, etc. I am just looking for your experiences, good or bad. Thanks!!!:thumbup:

jdphoto

Leather is a co product of slaughter and should be banned. Why not try an animal friendly product instead?

algrove

I eat meat so leather bags are OK with me.

As a matter of fact, I very much like my recently purchased Oberwerth William. Well thought out and some of the nicest leather in a camera bag I have ever seen.

dave.gt

I eat meat so leather bags are OK with me.

As a matter of fact, I very much like my recently purchased Oberwerth William. Well thought out and some of the nicest leather in a camera bag I have ever seen.
Thanks, I have been looking at the OW bag and I am curious what gear you carry in it.:)

algrove

Thanks, I have been looking at the OW bag and I am curious what gear you carry in it.:)
Well I bought it to use with my 50R and a couple of lenses like the 45 and 100-200. I works well with Leica M gear too and sure costs less than the Leica badged bag.

algrove

It had many features I did not realize when ordering. I thin velcroed leather strap allows for placing bag over handles of a wheeled bag. The interior is removable, has velcro closures and has interior pockets for SD or CF cards. Exterior zippered pocket for iPad/tablet. Generously sized under flap pockets are great for extra batteries, microfiber cloth, etc. Nice deep design for stacking small M lenses or for longer MF Fuji lens. If you want specific dimensions just let me know as over coming jet lag this weekend.

Last edited:

dave.gt

It had many features I did not realize when ordering. I thin velcroed leather strap allows for placing bag over handles of a wheeled bag. The interior is removable, has velcro closures and has interior pockets for SD or CF cards. Exterior zippered pocket for iPad/tablet. Generously sized under flap pockets are great for extra batteries, microfiber cloth, etc. Nice deep design for stacking small M lenses or for longer MF Fuji lens. If you want specific dimensions just let me know as over coming jet lag this weekend.

Thanks, that is a great bag. Expensive, yes, but generally you get what you pay for. OW is of superior quality for sure!

Leather bags are heavy? Jeez, the OW weighs only 1-pound more than my Billingham. Plus, I carry a complete MF kit and medicines, personal items, snacks and bottled water every day. Then, I go backpacking with one of my loaded F-stop backpacks and tripod. I guess I don't think about the weight of anything anymore.

Heck, my Harley leather jacket weighs 10 pounds which includes 2 pounds of armor. ;)

Ah, well, hopefully all the exercise I get carrying heavy gear will continue to pay off. In the meantime, that OW bag deserves a second look before I sell something to pay for it!!!:thumbup:

flash

I have two Ona shoulder bags. Canvas Astoria and leather Prince St. The smaller Princ St is noticably heavier than the larger Astoria and slightly less comfortable. ONA use a heavy leather. It looks great though.

Gordon

Godfrey

Not sure exactly what kind of bag might suit your needs best, but the bag I've been using most of the time lately is the Wotancraft Mini Rider sling bag. (Mine is the "charcoal black with black leather trim" limited edition; I don't see that model listed anymore) It's compact but capacious ... it has a very nice compression strap that keeps it small and tight when lightly loaded but allows it to carry about double the capacity when needed. The harness is brilliant, particularly for riding on a bicycle and motorcycle: once fitted and adjusted correctly, it's fast to take on and off, easy to get in and out of, and does not move at all when riding.

The construction is canvas with leather accents, trim, and harness. There's an all leather version and a version in cordura nylon and leather too. Mine is just a tiny bit heavier than the Peak Design Everyday Sling 5L bag but a whole lot more versatile and secure when riding.

I have carried a whole bunch of different gear in the Wotancraft Mini Rider now ... a Polaroid SX-70 kit, a Hasselblad 500CM with 80mm lens and back, my Light L16 and a Polaroid SX-70, my Fuji GS645S Wide 60, a Leica CL with up to three lenses, and all of the above (excluding the Hasselblad) without expanding the bag. If I start a cycle ride on a cool day and have an over-jersey on, I can fold up the over-jersey when the day warms up, expand the bag, and then that fits in with the photo gear too (a tight squeeze with the Hasselblad, but it still fits).

G

airfrogusmc

Heres my 3 camera (sometimes 4 camera) work bag.

My two camera travel bag (I usually travel with just one camera and one lens and use my one camera bag for that)

My one camera bag that I have been using lately for street and travel.

Last edited: