The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S and M10 Kit

dave.gt

A mind shift occurs with me now and then. I suppose that is a good thing?:)

Some have changes forced on them and others simply evolve for different reasons, some reacting to marketing of exciting new products or because they enjoy the discovery process.

With a huge medical stressor just now being lifted from our lives this week, I find myself did-oriented. Time to reflect, evaluate and decide on future directions. Gear is a consideration, but it is time now to decide on direction, or simply settle back and take it easy... the latter is impossible for me and absolutely not going to happen.

Moving forward with re-starting our Studio venture just feels right. Now to sort out my gear system, again, based on the direction we are going.

Lately, I have been trying out the S006, thanks to my being blessed by my enabler, :thumbup:... and I am completely confident the S system works for me far better than any other for my needs. I will continue my own discovery process with that system.

However, there are times when MFD just isn't needed, or practical, such as in everyday carry for casual shooting, documentary, and many other uses. A smaller form is required, and as much as I miss my M3 and M6 of days past, film is now a recreational pastime that I fully enjoy and I have no intention, nor can I afford, to continue with that format any longer.

The M10 now appears to be the choice for a smaller Leica camera that matches the paradigm of simplicity, quality, elegance and purity that I find necessary these days.

The match of both the S and the M10 appeals to me for so many reasons.

1. OVF
2. Simplicity in philosophy and use.
3. Ergonomics
4. Did I mention OVF?
5. Aesthetics
6. Handling
7. And the list goes on..,

Bottom line for me, I don't need all the buttons, features, latest and greatest features and electronic bells and whistles... I have been over that many years now.

After all, I loved my Harley much more than my BMW K1200LT, for the same reasons. I miss my Road King... not so much the far more comfortable, and higher performance of my BMW.

For me, I see the S, and the M10, as closer to my ideal of personal experience with camera systems.

Now, how do I make this path come about? Or do I?:)

I have always taken a different path than most people, so I don't expect to be deemed mainstream, thankfully. But even my alternative, inordinate, way of life has different winding paths to select.

I have not heard much from the M10 users in this forum. It seems far too quiet and slow. How have you guys enjoyed the experience with your M10?

And the most important question is... LOL...

Chrome or black??????:ROTFL:

Paratom

chrome. Every new generation I switch between black and chrome because I really like both.
I have not used the M10 that much lately (more AF cameras) but I plan to use it more often again because the simplicity in use and the small size of the primes and the viewfinder are good reasons to use this camera. I have had not so good success with lenses longer than 50mm in regards of focus calibration. So for me M is best with 35 and 50, or UWA.

JohnBrew

Chrome. Classic. Black is for show-offs :toocool:.
Still shooting my two digital M’s. Cannot be beat for simplicity and form factor. They really get out of the way and let you do your thing.

dave.gt

Here's wishing your studio venture much prosperity and success, Dave.
Tom, John, Rick, thanks! Still thinking about getting fully into the S system... and the M10 is only a daydream at this point in time.:)

Plenty of time to sort that one out.

My work day will start very early tomorrow morning working on a five-year plan and determining the direction we need to go. If I can get that nailed down, the gear match will be relatively easy.

So, daydreaming about possibilities is always fun! Especially when one is too exhausted to do anything else!:):):)

Looking forward to Fall already, oh, that reminds me I need to factor in the fun part of photography as part of my business plan!:thumbup:

airfrogusmc

I went all digital M a few years back. Sold all the DSLRs etc a few years ago. I use Leica Ms for both my personal work and my professional work. So I have 2 M 10s. I liked the M 10 so much a I bought another. My current kit is MM, M-E, M 262 and 2 M 10s. 90 Cron APO, 75 2.5 Summarit, Zeiss 35 2.8 Biogon C, 35 1.4 Summilux FLE and 24 2.8 Elmarit ASPH.

I am a lot like you and I find Leica M is just a camera that gets out of the way and that allows me to create. I don't need or want all the bells and whistles. I have shot manually for decades so these cameras are very intuitive for the way I see and work.

Black for me.

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

I use the M10 and the S006. I would say they pair very well, but I think the M9 paired even better with respect to the files out of camera. I still think there is something about the CCD renderings...I am not alone. I was talking with the head of the photography department at a rather large regional museum, and he said he was sticking with CCD's for the artwork reproduction, as he felt that the output was better than the more modern CMOS versions. For him part of it was per pixel sharpness, which is something I have also observed...the S is extremely sharp and high contrast at the pixel level, which allows for it to be enlarged quite a bit. Interpolation is based on those pixels, so if they are soft to begin with, they only get softer with enlargement. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying a 37mp S has more resolution than a 100mp CMOS, but I think it is one of the reasons why the S fared so well against the 50mp CMOS cameras.

In any case, I think the M10 is a great camera, and in terms of handling, user experience and practicality, it beats the M9 by a mile. But in terms of color and image character, I still seem to prefer the M9. This is not that they are "better", only that I like their color and crispness more. The M10 gives you more resolution, better ISO performance, better battery life, a more reliable sensor, live view, better handling etc etc. It is the better camera, but for me, sometimes the M9 takes better pictures.

erlingmm

I have the S007 and the M10. As you indicate, they go very well together, and have many similarities. I too love the optical viewfinders.

I have walked the "full path" on both systems: M8, M9, M10 - S2, S006, S007. I think both systems now have matured.

For me, in practical photography, I cannot distinguish CCD from CMOS, on the other hand I appreciate the better low light performance of the CMOS because It greatly expands the usage envelope, especially of the S system, which is more vulnerable to camera shake and benefits from decent shutter speed.

dave.gt

I have the S007 and the M10. As you indicate, they go very well together, and have many similarities. I too love the optical viewfinders.

I have walked the "full path" on both systems: M8, M9, M10 - S2, S006, S007. I think both systems now have matured.

For me, in practical photography, I cannot distinguish CCD from CMOS, on the other hand I appreciate the better low light performance of the CMOS because It greatly expands the usage envelope, especially of the S system, which is more vulnerable to camera shake and benefits from decent shutter speed.
Hi, Erling,

Thanks for your thoughts, as well as Stuart's and others above. The S006 needs more light while the M10 is better at low light, if I remember correctly. That alone is a complementary match. If it is too dark, use the M10, right?

If I wanted to pair similar looks, I completely agree, S006 w/ the M9, and the S007 w/ M10. At least that seems a good way to look at it.

The other way to look at the kit is what final image size one would be working toward. I just printed a 44" panorama from a 3-image stitch using the S006, handheld. I could have easily gone much larger to 60"-72".

How large would I dare go with an M10 shooting the same panorama?

Shashin

Hi, Erling,

Thanks for your thoughts, as well as Stuart's and others above. The S006 needs more light while the M10 is better at low light, if I remember correctly. That alone is a complementary match. If it is too dark, use the M10, right?

If I wanted to pair similar looks, I completely agree, S006 w/ the M9, and the S007 w/ M10. At least that seems a good way to look at it.

The other way to look at the kit is what final image size one would be working toward. I just printed a 44" panorama from a 3-image stitch using the S006, handheld. I could have easily gone much larger to 60"-72".

How large would I dare go with an M10 shooting the same panorama?
You can easily get to a 60" to 72" panoramic print from an M10. I printed a 14 foot by 40" panorama shot on a lower resolution APS-C camera (vertical frames). I have made a 15 foot by 40" pano from a Pentax 645D, so your S can do that as well.

Photon42

More than two years back, I could not resist the S call and bought an old s2 for a price you hardly get a used M lens for. Got some used adapters over time to try out the camera with various MF lenses of different manufacturers. I love the finder, the user interface and the perfect integration of Hasselblad HC and Contax lenses. Added a used 007 this spring, which is comparably a fully matured machine. I will keep both for the foreseeable future. Meanwhile equipped with some used S lenses, I feel complete with the system.

With the S2, I often brought another low light camera along. I had a Q for a while, which also helped to fill my WA gap. The Q is gone and I own a proper wide angle lens for the S now.

My M10 is actually now an M10D. Black of course, and according to some statements here, a poser :shocked: :ROTFL:

I just love the cleanness of Leica camera interfaces - and within that niche, they M10D can only be beat by its direct predecessors and film. I would however not use it as a main commercial camera. The LCD is just too useful in some circumstances. Said that, being somewhat into Nikon since 1982, I also acquired a Z7, which does have the LCD, can take proper flashes from P, B and E with HSS and takes most M lenses without issues.

PeterA

A mind shift occurs with me now and then. I suppose that is a good thing?:)

Some have changes forced on them and others simply evolve for different reasons, some reacting to marketing of exciting new products or because they enjoy the discovery process.

With a huge medical stressor just now being lifted from our lives this week, I find myself did-oriented. Time to reflect, evaluate and decide on future directions. Gear is a consideration, but it is time now to decide on direction, or simply settle back and take it easy... the latter is impossible for me and absolutely not going to happen.

Moving forward with re-starting our Studio venture just feels right. Now to sort out my gear system, again, based on the direction we are going.

Lately, I have been trying out the S006, thanks to my being blessed by my enabler, :thumbup:... and I am completely confident the S system works for me far better than any other for my needs. I will continue my own discovery process with that system.

However, there are times when MFD just isn't needed, or practical, such as in everyday carry for casual shooting, documentary, and many other uses. A smaller form is required, and as much as I miss my M3 and M6 of days past, film is now a recreational pastime that I fully enjoy and I have no intention, nor can I afford, to continue with that format any longer.

The M10 now appears to be the choice for a smaller Leica camera that matches the paradigm of simplicity, quality, elegance and purity that I find necessary these days.

The match of both the S and the M10 appeals to me for so many reasons.

1. OVF
2. Simplicity in philosophy and use.
3. Ergonomics
4. Did I mention OVF?
5. Aesthetics
6. Handling
7. And the list goes on..,

Bottom line for me, I don't need all the buttons, features, latest and greatest features and electronic bells and whistles... I have been over that many years now.

After all, I loved my Harley much more than my BMW K1200LT, for the same reasons. I miss my Road King... not so much the far more comfortable, and higher performance of my BMW.

For me, I see the S, and the M10, as closer to my ideal of personal experience with camera systems.

Now, how do I make this path come about? Or do I?:)

I have always taken a different path than most people, so I don't expect to be deemed mainstream, thankfully. But even my alternative, inordinate, way of life has different winding paths to select.

I have not heard much from the M10 users in this forum. It seems far too quiet and slow. How have you guys enjoyed the experience with your M10?

And the most important question is... LOL...

Chrome or black??????:ROTFL:
How you feel using a camera ( especially for personal use ) is the most important variable in the equation as far as I'm concerned. I 've owned and shot with pretty much every camera Leica have brought out since the M7 - and have enjoyed everyone of them. These days though I'm a bit over the rangefinder focusing thing tbh . The S is a great camera - pick your poison regarding the M's - they are all capable machines.

I still miss the R system and it is only now with the Summicron lens range available that the SL /SL2 is a genuine R9 replacement for me.....here is some nostalgia from me...just a few of the R lenses I had amassed - not pictured was my copy of the famous 35-70 f2.8 ( it was in Germany getting CLA'd - for many months ...loved shooting film loved the DMR digi back on it - so many happy memories.

Let us know what you have decided! Oh and always black ot black paint for me for an M!

M

mjr

I agree with Peter, the hardest thing is probably dismissing all that's going on in the industry and really understanding what you want from your photography and in turn, what system gets you that.

I have absolutely no affection for any camera or system, I have for many years bought what I needed to do a job, and consequently have changed systems through Nikon, Canon, Leica, Phase, Alpa, Cambo, Fuji, they have all been the right system for what I wanted at the time. I have been quite critical of my choices recently, wanting to get back to what I love about photography, namely the process, wanting good results obviously but also wanting to enjoy the effort it takes to get those results.

I am not doing very much commercial work anymore and so I am lucky to be photographing just for myself again, so my list of requirements was optical viewfinder, hate evf, a great manual focus experience, I very very rarely use AF on any camera and with focus by wire lenses, I find the process annoying, compact but high quality, anyone flying in to Baghdad with a GFX and a couple of lenses will understand how much of a nightmare that is, standing on the street with a 110mm on the GFX is just intimidating to most people and causes a lot of unwanted attention.

So for me, the choices were actually pretty small if I wanted to enjoy all those things, and the M, surprisingly to me, fitted the requirements better than any other system so I bought one, after a few weeks it is absolutely amazing for what is important to me now. As Peter says, black paint M10P for me and a couple of lenses is liberating, unassuming, high quality, feels beautiful to hold, a tiny bag holds what I need and I take more pictures with it because it's no hassle to carry it.

If your requirements can be met by the M then it would be a great companion to the S, I loved both my S's for their usability, size, image quality, the M meets different requirements but I feel it just works.

Enjoy whatever you pick, there are no bad choices these days I don't think.

Mat

PeterA

Here ya go Matt - my last film camera....BPMP - silver lenses just beautiful...

nice observations you made on how the M 'fits' with what you are doing right now...nothing worse than trying to use something that isn't right or doesn't 'feel' right in hand...photography is a creative process and mindset is integral to that - well I think so anyway...

dave.gt

Here ya go Matt - my last film camera....BPMP - silver lenses just beautiful...

nice observations you made on how the M 'fits' with what you are doing right now...nothing worse than trying to use something that isn't right or doesn't 'feel' right in hand...photography is a creative process and mindset is integral to that - well I think so anyway...

Yikes, and I had just about gotten over being smitten by the black paint MP!!!

Now what?:ROTFL:

So I have 2 M 10s. I liked the M 10 so much a I bought another. My current kit is MM, M-E, M 262 and 2 M 10s. 90 Cron APO, 75 2.5 Summarit, Zeiss 35 2.8 Biogon C, 35 1.4 Summilux FLE and 24 2.8 Elmarit ASPH.
Perhaps since I’m not pro, I don’t understand - so I’ll ask 😁

Why do you need so many cameras? I could understand MM and 2 x M10, needing a backup since your income depends on it, but why the other color M’s? To avoid having to change lenses mid-shoot?

As a hobbyist, I was already feeling pain between choosing from 2 different cameras...

JoelM

Perhaps since I’m not pro, I don’t understand - so I’ll ask 😁

Why do you need so many cameras? I could understand MM and 2 x M10, needing a backup since your income depends on it, but why the other color M’s? To avoid having to change lenses mid-shoot?

As a hobbyist, I was already feeling pain between choosing from 2 different cameras...
I don't believe that the word "need" is used around here. ;)

Joel