The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M10 - Using it Professionally?

Shashin

But even in a smaller market how can someone support a family on 30K a year?
Most likely through a two-income household. I know a few photographers that work more than one job. The median household income for the US is just over $60,000, which is the highest it has been since 2007.

Stuart Richardson

In answer to the original question, I have used the M10 for editorial and art photography, and in the past I have done a few weddings for friends on the M series cameras, though in general I am not a wedding photographer. It is a good camera to use whenever you need high image quality in a small, discreet package. There are other cameras that can arguably do this more successfully now. For most pros, owning an M10 is not a practical business decision, but one made because they have a little flexibility and would prefer to get a tool that they like to use, over the most cost-effective one. Not every business decision boils down to the bottom line. Still, the M10 is more than capable of helping in those situations. I remember once I was doing an editorial feature for a large food magazine. I was assigned to photograph a certain list of restaurants for a feature on the Icelandic food scene. I went to one on the list and explained that I was photographing for an international magazine and was hoping to take photos. The manager said no, I could not. I had my M9 on my shoulder and asked, "are you sure, I will be quick and I will not bother anyone". She looked at the camera and said, "Oh, I thought you meant a professional camera...sure, go ahead." Little did she know, haha. I still don't know what she had in mind...maybe lots of lighting and flash? But either way, the M10 can be very helpful in situations like that. It is also excellent for the classic use cases -- travel, documentary etc. It is even more useful today than it was before, since you can bring an EVF and a telephoto lens (adapted or otherwise). There was the visoflex back in the day, but the EVF makes the M very flexible if you have a Leica R telephoto etc.

airfrogusmc

Before leaving and starting my own business in the type of work I now do I was the staff photographer for a hospital and was there from 1991-2001 and when I left I was making just a hair over 50K and that was 2001.

Shashin

In answer to the original question, I have used the M10 for editorial and art photography, and in the past I have done a few weddings for friends on the M series cameras, though in general I am not a wedding photographer. It is a good camera to use whenever you need high image quality in a small, discreet package. There are other cameras that can arguably do this more successfully now. For most pros, owning an M10 is not a practical business decision, but one made because they have a little flexibility and would prefer to get a tool that they like to use, over the most cost-effective one. Not every business decision boils down to the bottom line. Still, the M10 is more than capable of helping in those situations. I remember once I was doing an editorial feature for a large food magazine. I was assigned to photograph a certain list of restaurants for a feature on the Icelandic food scene. I went to one on the list and explained that I was photographing for an international magazine and was hoping to take photos. The manager said no, I could not. I had my M9 on my shoulder and asked, "are you sure, I will be quick and I will not bother anyone". She looked at the camera and said, "Oh, I thought you meant a professional camera...sure, go ahead." Little did she know, haha. I still don't know what she had in mind...maybe lots of lighting and flash? But either way, the M10 can be very helpful in situations like that. It is also excellent for the classic use cases -- travel, documentary etc. It is even more useful today than it was before, since you can bring an EVF and a telephoto lens (adapted or otherwise). There was the visoflex back in the day, but the EVF makes the M very flexible if you have a Leica R telephoto etc.
I have found unique camera types can be very disarming. Most people are expecting a large DSLR. But anything that does not conform to that, whether bigger or smaller, seems to catch people unaware, opening possibilities. My favorite was a Widelux swing lens panoramic camera. The downside was in a crowded place: one person would notice the lens swing. In the next frame, that person would be staring intently at the camera just to confirm the lens did actually move.

Shashin

Why is this even a question? Of course you can use a digital M professionally. Only a few do, but so what.
I think Dave was looking for a more nuanced response about the commonality of photographers that use Ms professionally rather than simply unwarranted and undeserved contempt.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Why is this even a question? Of course you can use a digital M professionally. Only a few do, but so what.
Keep the answers nice -- snarky responses like this one will not be tolerated. Consider yourself warned.

airfrogusmc

Dave,

I just wanted to add that for me whats most important is the M 10 really fits with the way I see and work.

Allen

dave.gt

Allen,

Again, thank you for all your images posted. Wonderful.:)

So, after some time, now... the summary so far (I presume) is this:

There are relatively few photographers around actually making a living using the M10. Can this be correct? It is an amazing instrument yet it seems to be used more personal uses by choice.

I will stay tuned as I observe those around me using the M10 and hopefully I will have a better understanding of where it seems to be going. As I slowly migrate back toward the M, whether it will be film or digital, I am curious to see how others are actually using their M cameras.

Thanks to all for posting.:)

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Dave

I ve used M cameras from the 70 s and still use two M10 s mostly for street shooting . With whats available today s EVF AF alternatives ..I would never choose the Leica M for professional work .

The key to making a RF work for any type of photography is to master RF focusing techniques . This requires constant practice and usage . There have even been tutorials (PDFs) that set up a series of exercises to train your hand /eye coordination . (I looked and I can’t find my copy ). Using small apertures and pre focusing can work well but hardly yields the “no excuses” level off accuracy . If you can hit 85% “acceptably sharp” with a RF you are really really talented . This just does not match the best AF from most any modern EVF or DSLR camera and with eye autofocus ...you should be well into the 90-95% range .

The advantage of the RF comes in three areas ...(1) the ability to see outside the frame and with clarity regardless of the focal length (2) the size and therefore the less intrusive nature of a RF and (3) the ability to really use the small very high quality and fast RF lenses .

Conceded ......that if you can make a RF camera work professionally you are exceptionally talented . And for pure fun ....I will use no other gear for 90% of my shooting . But ...I don t have a client to satisfy and am considering the time coming when I will just not be quick enough to enjoy a RF . Even for street and travel ...two areas that RF cameras excel .....its hard to overlook the benefits of “eye AF’ or “focus tracking “ .

Roger

dave.gt

Dave

I ve used M cameras from the 70 s and still use two M10 s mostly for street shooting . With whats available today s EVF AF alternatives ..I would never choose the Leica M for professional work .

The key to making a RF work for any type of photography is to master RF focusing techniques . This requires constant practice and usage . There have even been tutorials (PDFs) that set up a series of exercises to train your hand /eye coordination . (I looked and I can’t find my copy ). Using small apertures and pre focusing can work well but hardly yields the “no excuses” level off accuracy . If you can hit 85% “acceptably sharp” with a RF you are really really talented . This just does not match the best AF from most any modern EVF or DSLR camera and with eye autofocus ...you should be well into the 90-95% range .

The advantage of the RF comes in three areas ...(1) the ability to see outside the frame and with clarity regardless of the focal length (2) the size and therefore the less intrusive nature of a RF and (3) the ability to really use the small very high quality and fast RF lenses .

Conceded ......that if you can make a RF camera work professionally you are exceptionally talented . And for pure fun ....I will use no other gear for 90% of my shooting . But ...I don t have a client to satisfy and am considering the time coming when I will just not be quick enough to enjoy a RF . Even for street and travel ...two areas that RF cameras excel .....its hard to overlook the benefits of “eye AF’ or “focus tracking “ .

Roger
Good morning, Roger!:thumbup:

Just taking a break from painting (the walls, not art, unfortunately), and thanks for your thoughts. My curiosity, not yet sated, keeps me thinking even while working on domestics and maintenance projects.:)

It seems that, since I am working mostly with Medium Format, the M could be used just as well for scouting and personal use without carrying the entire backpack with me all the time, and saving the MF equipment for later in a lot of cases. Along that line of thought, different M cameras could be chosen for a look similar to the MF equipment I normally use.

In other words, an M9 with the CCD would work well with the S006. Similarly, the CMOS models would be a match for the S007.

Then again, it may be that I would not prefer matching the results and would prefer a higher ISO alternative to the S006. Interesting contemplations for me.

Can you tell I am bored ?:ROTFL:

Shashin

There are relatively few photographers around actually making a living using the M10. Can this be correct? It is an amazing instrument yet it seems to be used more personal uses by choice.
Rangefinders are very specialized and Leica in particular is very expensive. You just need to look to market force to show that--how many camera companies make rangefinders and what are their sales volumes? That will reflect photographer demand. The main advantage to the rangefinder/viewfinder cameras was the ability to make a compact camera and, with the exception of Leica, make them affordable--think Olympus XAs or Fuji medium-format film rangefinders, for example. Reflex cameras were limited by the mirror box. Today, we have mirrorless cameras filling in that need and have direct viewing. Rangefinders were always an acquired taste.

I am really grateful Leica is still in the business, although I will never be able to justify one. I am also really happy Fuji has kept their heritage with their X100 and X Pro lines--it is also neat how they have updated the type to the 21st century. I really like my X Pro2. I have always had a soft spot for specialized cameras: Widelux, Hexar, Nikonos, Mamiya 6 and C220, Horseman 612, Wista VX...

airfrogusmc

All the reasons Leica M doesn't work for Roger for pro work are some of the reasons they work for me. No in camera EVF, not having all the automation, no auto focus are all reasons I have chosen Leica M digital for my pro work as well as my personal work.I'm faster with a M 10 than with anything else. I shot with DSLRs for a decade and hated it. I hated the menus and all the stuff I don't like or use. My level of hitting focus is higher now than it was with auto focus DSLRs and I had some of the best auto focus lenses you can buy. I think it comes down to what works best for each individual. For me I like full control of everything. I find rangefinders, after some practice easy to focus and extremely reliable. I shoot a lot with a 90 APO and do not have difficulties even wide open. The one thing I really believe is Leica digital M is a REAL alternative to all the auto everything, complex menu, one size fits all options that are everywhere in the mirrorless and DSLR world. Again Leica M fits PERFECTLY with the way I see and work and it might not be the right tool for all but it is for me and I am so glad I have that option because there is really nothing else like it on the market.

Last edited:

dave.gt

Allen, thanks!:thumbup:

Now we are getting somewhere!

I, too, am not a fan of EVF. I think Jorgen said it best, it is like wondering what the weather is and looking at it on television instead of walking outside. LOL, never thought about it that way.:):):)

But as you said, it is whatever works best for the person using the camera of choice...

Lately, I have been feeling overwhelmed with the technical minutiae and engineering discussions added to the computer tech-geek talk and so many other processes, gear, software, etc. having done that my entire life in engineering and academia, working with everything high-tech... I am completely burned out on it. Where is the fun of photography? Professionally, I found my best work was done when I enjoyed doing something that was fun and meaningful. I can say without hesitation, I am done with the past in large part because I will have none of that anymore, just simply tired of it.

Leica has a history of simplicity and at this time in my life, that is paramount, to the point of bailing on photography altogether if it were not for choices that were simple and actually fun to use, but that is just for me.:)

I am more convinced than ever that the Leica M (what model?) will be back in my future for paid work. It is just the best fit for most of what I am planning to do.

Now, lenses are another matter, and I am going to delve into that swamp full of alligators in due time.:ROTFL:

airfrogusmc

For me lenses are always easy. I tend to see at a 35mm FoV on FF so I put my money into glass that best fits that way of seeing. Also need something wider for my pro work and for formal portraits something longer. But I would say that over 60% of what i shoot is with a 35 Summilux FLE. In addition I have a 35 Zeiss 2.8 Biogon C, a 24 Elmarit 2.8 aspherical, a 75 2.5 Summarit, a 90 2 Summicron APO and a 1950s USSR 50 2 Jupiter 8.

I don't change lenses much. I pretty much leave the 35 Lux on one of my M 10s the 90 on the other M 10 and my 24 Elmarit on my M 262. The 50 in on my M-E at the moment and the Zeiss Biogon in on my MM.

dave.gt

Way too much theory…..… ;) let some pictures talk.

Here are some photos from a recent a food magazine, all pictures were made with a Leica M10.
Why do I use a Leica M? because I like it as a simple tool/instrument.
I could have done the job easily with a FuCaNiSo. I don’t need autofocus for this kind of shooting
It’s a joy to take the M and lenses in my hand. I can feel the craftsmanship behind it,
that is enough reason to work with it nearly every day.

Ydo
(sorry for my english)

My website: YDO SOL IMAGES ? YDO SOL IMAGES
Ydo,

Thank you for sharing your work, it is inspiring! I think you summed up the reason for using an M in a way that we can all relate to. Leica has that quality and simplicity of use that we love.:thumbup:

dave.gt

Allen, I appreciate your carrying the M10 image posting pretty much alone. Excellent examples of what you do.

It still remains to be established that there are more than a small percentage of users using the M10 professionally. It appears that an overwhelming majority of M users are shooting for personal use only.

It seems a bit depressing if that is the case. Dante is whispering that we need to step up our game!:ROTFL:

I still want one!:thumbs:

airfrogusmc

Thanks Dave and I do think that you are right. Not a lot of pros use M 10s. I have a good friend that uses Leica M professional also but like him we are rare I think. And that's OK. A lot of people think, work and photograph much differently than I do and that's probably a good thing ha ha. We all should see and work differently. I just applaud Leica for making cameras like the MM and the M 10 because for me they fit a lot better then the other options I have today.