The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M10 - Using it Professionally?

dave.gt

I do mostly advertising and editorial work but I also do what I call corporate photojournalism in which in most cases I am in the room with top white house officials, billionaires and other luminaries. The M10 (now M10-P) is small and unobtrusive but also has a fair bit of cache with the wealthier types and it comes into the scene much appreciated. Most of these meetings are pretty heady in topic and totally off the record, I can't even show the work here but think White House staff photographer level stuff.

The one issue I had with the M10 in these documentary situations has been addressed with the M10-P and that is shutter noise. So it is not uncommon for me to go into one of these settings with either just a lone M10-P and 35mm 1.4 or that and a Nikon Z6 with a 50mm 1.8S on it in silent mode. But if I can swing it, I ride in with just the Leica and a nice sports coat on and become a fly on the wall, very fun, high paying and rewarding work the Leica M is perfect for.

As for the debate about pay, that national average number for a photographer is *much* lower than my income but for some out there, it may work for their location and overall cost of living. I'm in agreement with Airfrog, most people I know pull in over 6 figures in our area, otherwise they are part time at best.
This post, as is Allen's posts, are enlightening. It is rare to actually read/hear someone's account of being a photographer in such a high profile situation. And using a Leica M as well! Very impressive and inspiring!:):):)

Thanks so much for a glimpse into your work!!!:thumbs:

dave.gt

Wi-fi?

Is the M10 wi-fi capability actually useable professionally?

The reason I ask is that I am happy with the Wi-fi on the Studio's H5D-50c. Using it with the iPad, checking focus, composition, exposure, etc in jpeg format has been very helpful with our on-location and outdoor shoots.

Just wondering how the M10 wi-fi performs and the uses for it.:)

JohnBrew

Way too much theory…..… ;) let some pictures talk.

Here are some photos from a recent a food magazine, all pictures were made with a Leica M10.
Why do I use a Leica M? because I like it as a simple tool/instrument.
I could have done the job easily with a FuCaNiSo. I don’t need autofocus for this kind of shooting
It’s a joy to take the M and lenses in my hand. I can feel the craftsmanship behind it,
that is enough reason to work with it nearly every day.

Ydo
(sorry for my english

My website: YDO SOL IMAGES ? YDO SOL IMAGES
Your English is just fine. Your images are even better!
Thank you for posting them.

dave.gt

I do mostly advertising and editorial work but I also do what I call corporate photojournalism in which in most cases I am in the room with top white house officials, billionaires and other luminaries. The M10 (now M10-P) is small and unobtrusive but also has a fair bit of cache with the wealthier types and it comes into the scene much appreciated. Most of these meetings are pretty heady in topic and totally off the record, I can't even show the work here but think White House staff photographer level stuff.

The one issue I had with the M10 in these documentary situations has been addressed with the M10-P and that is shutter noise. So it is not uncommon for me to go into one of these settings with either just a lone M10-P and 35mm 1.4 or that and a Nikon Z6 with a 50mm 1.8S on it in silent mode. But if I can swing it, I ride in with just the Leica and a nice sports coat on and become a fly on the wall, very fun, high paying and rewarding work the Leica M is perfect for.

As for the debate about pay, that national average number for a photographer is *much* lower than my income but for some out there, it may work for their location and overall cost of living. I'm in agreement with Airfrog, most people I know pull in over 6 figures in our area, otherwise they are part time at best.
Just getting back...

It is interesting that I saw an interview recently at the WH and there was someone shooting a chrome Leica M. The other ten photographers were using black dslr or mirrorless cameras.:)