The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CCD Celebration - Leica selling refurbished M9 a la carte

jonoslack

Hi Everyone
I hope you're all flourishing, I was in Wetzlar recently and when I was in customer care I came across this.

I was so enthusiastic about the whole Idea I thought it might be worth doing a little piece on it - so here it is:

Refurbished Leica M9 and M9-p

I guess they'll go fast!

All the best
Jono Slack

So that's what Leica did with all the M9s that were traded in in lieu of sensor replacement. Replaced the sensor and re-skinned them in bright colors to sell a la carte.

jonoslack

So that's what Leica did with all the M9s that were traded in in lieu of sensor replacement. Replaced the sensor and re-skinned them in bright colors to sell a la carte.
Exactly - although you can choose what colour you want yours - I think they did the bright ones to make a good show (and doesn't it just!).

Contact Michel!

best
Jono

JohnBrew

Damn! And I thought my M9-P would obtain cult status and be highly sought after.
:cussing:

Just kidding. I wouldn’t sell mine anyway. ;)

D&A

Damn! And I thought my M9-P would obtain cult status and be highly sought after.
:cussing:

Just kidding. I wouldn’t sell mine anyway. ;)
Not even if you had a chance to have bright pink "Hello Kitty" embossed leather covering M9-P? :) (although a light blue "Baby Shark" covering would be a close 2nd). LOL.

Dave (D&A)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Not even if you had a chance to have bright pink "Hello Kitty" embossed leather covering M9-P? :) (although a light blue "Baby Shark" covering would be a close 2nd). LOL.

Dave (D&A)
That always was my dream Leica, and now I can almost buy one :ROTFL:

dave.gt

My two granddaughters would love the HK pink camera!:)

I better not show it to them...:shocked:

dave.gt

Personally, I think it is a terrific idea! What other camera company has fun with their products? Really! It is a brilliant marketing move but it is also a fun project for Leica as well as a huge market.

There is an elephant in the room, and it is not of the male gender. There are many forner, current, and aspiring, young women like my granddaughters who would love these M9 cameras in any of the colors shown.

Why do we... (cough!).... why do we assume that everyone who uses cameras are male and prefer chrome or black? Why do we assume that? Fashion has shown otherwise across the spectrum.

I applaud whatever Leica does to reach different markets, especially with new, creative ideas and a la carte is special and unrivaled. Bravo!

Now if I had the cash, I would buy a refurbed M9 with less than 2,000 clicks and I am sure I can get black, brown, purple or pink if I wanted... great idea!

Just my thoughts.:thumbs:

dave.gt

The closest thing I can think of at the moment to the Leica a la carte program is Martin guitars. The Martin factory offers a complete custom guitar program where anyone can change anything and design their own personal guitar and, yes, it is expensive.

https://www.martinguitar.com/custom-shop/

In a world where virtually every car you see looks like the same; cameras look like the same melted blobs; and countless products adopt the same form as their competitors, it is a rare pleasure for anyone to be able to design their own product to match personal taste and style.

There is a famous song from many decades ago called "Enjoy Yourself!" and it was even featured in the House, MD television show finale... it reminds one that life is shorter than we think. So, enjoy yourself, it isn't like we are going to live forever.

We have such a short time to be here and a long time to be gone.:thumbup:

Godfrey

Brilliant idea, Leica! There's a good market for a reliable M9 with the upgraded sensor, and the ability to get a customized one a la carte is sure to be popular amongst M9 enthusiasts.

For me, the M9 was an ambivalent success. It made good photos when I captured raw images only but its limitations on responsiveness and sensitivity, and the overall limited battery life per charge, just didn't really make it for me. The typ 240 and 262 cameras fit the bill much better for me, and I loved my M-D typ 262: that was my all time favorite M. Alas, gone now... the CL has stolen that place in my use as it is simply much more flexible and usable for my needs, and I felt it better to move on. (Still have my M4-2, my second favorite M... and am keeping nearly all my M lenses because I use them on the CL. :))

But every photographers' needs and desires aren't always my needs and desires. I love seeing what Leica does with their products and applaud their innovation—yes, even in the often capricious space of product styling. :)

G

"Equipment is transitory. Photographs endure.

jonoslack

Does anyone else react with ‘Yuk’?

Kirk
HI There Kirk
What’s the problem? The Colours or the Concept?
You can, of course, have black or brown leather on them.

I think the concept of recycling is a fine one myself, as for the colours, that must surely be a matter of taste (but there’s no denying that they looked eye catching all together)

Best
Jono

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Does anyone know someone who can re-cover a Leica with Hello Kitty? Asking for a... um, me, actually :grin:
I believe Kanto Camera did custom paint jobs in the past, but there's no indication on their current website of that:

Kanto Camera Service

Another problem is that Hello Kitty is copyrighted, so you might have to pay Sanrio a few bucks to get permission. The one in the photo further up is from what I've heard a Photoshop job.

Found it:
Customize

Last edited:

jdphoto

Quirky, slow, funky shutter sound and terrible at high ISO, but produced some of the best images i've ever shot.