The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Perfect Leica Standard lens? (50 APO Summicron SL)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Thanks, Jono!

The pictures in reviews are usually 105% the photographer and -5% the equipment under review (or something like that). This is one of the rare times when the equipment and photographer are both clearly visible.

Matt

(Thankfully, I never shoot that focal length, so this isn't GAS talking.)

Paratom

Lovely images and thank you for the review. This is a lens I have been waiting for long time, because I find the Summicrons fit size wise very good to the L-mount body(ies).
Do you have any idea how it compares to the SL 50/1.4 in regards of drawing, (my fav SL prime at the moment, except the size and weight)? Now I am also having a hard time to decide between the 50 Cron and the 35 Cron, eventhough I use 50 more often, so it will probably be the 50.

jonoslack

Lovely images and thank you for the review. This is a lens I have been waiting for long time, because I find the Summicrons fit size wise very good to the L-mount body(ies).
Do you have any idea how it compares to the SL 50/1.4 in regards of drawing, (my fav SL prime at the moment, except the size and weight)? Now I am also having a hard time to decide between the 50 Cron and the 35 Cron, eventhough I use 50 more often, so it will probably be the 50.
Hi Tom
Thanks for the kind words.
It's a long time since I had the 50 'lux, so it's hard to remember - this is certainly the same feeling as the 75 APO SL.
I had the same hard decision, but I prefer 50 so I've bought one, on the rare occasions I want 35 on the SL my FLE does a good job.

Best

Paratom

Hi everyone
You got it an hour early!
Here is my take on the new 50 APO Summicron SL

Leica 50 APO Summicron SL

Enjoy!
One thing I wonder: In one way we sometimes want to have shallow DOF as a creative element. On the other side I allways found the gentle rolloff between focuses subject and area behind the subject to be an important factor as well. I even think that this has been one of the advantage of medium format. That it is not like sharp and 1 cm behind unsharp, but a gentle transition.
How do you feel about this in regard of the new Summicrons in your experience? Looking at the images from you it looks like the DOF is shallow but the transition is still gentle. Do you feel the same? Do you sometimes feel the design to have shallower DOF at same apparture to be a disadvantage?
By the way I planned to order this lens before but after your review I was so confident about this lens that I decided to get one.

jonoslack

One thing I wonder: In one way we sometimes want to have shallow DOF as a creative element. On the other side I allways found the gentle rolloff between focuses subject and area behind the subject to be an important factor as well. I even think that this has been one of the advantage of medium format. That it is not like sharp and 1 cm behind unsharp, but a gentle transition.
How do you feel about this in regard of the new Summicrons in your experience? Looking at the images from you it looks like the DOF is shallow but the transition is still gentle. Do you feel the same? Do you sometimes feel the design to have shallower DOF at same apparture to be a disadvantage?
By the way I planned to order this lens before but after your review I was so confident about this lens that I decided to get one.
HI There Tom
Pleased to be of service (but don't shop me to the bank manager!). Good luck - maybe you can get one today?
I think that's the real joy of these lenses - and that little diagram showing the drop in contrast is the clue I think - the roll-off into oof is really gentle and nice, both in front and behind. I suspect that this is what gives them a lovely gentle feel about them. Added to the fact that there really is no need to stop down.
All the best
Jono

jdphoto

Thanks for posting. I've alway loved this FL for the utility of the human zoom without sacrificing too much symmetry and character. I've shot regularly and professionally without ever changing my lens!