The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Has Leica discontinued the a la carte option?

dave.gt

If so, it is a shame, Leica!:thumbdown:

I have heard the rumors before but if it is true now, I am very disappointed. The one thing that made Leica completely unique was the a la carte program... seems strange that high end is just another level of expenditure without personalization.

Is it true now, that the M is just another high-priced product that can not be custom made to order?

Is there another way to get engraving, leather, etc?

richardman

Is it true now, that the M is just another high-priced product that can not be custom made to order?
Hi Dave, I am struggling to see how allowing a la carte makes a Leica camera more of a photographic instrument, or even that it would be so important?

Leica has always been high priced, and it has only allowed a la carte in these few years, so the number of years of Leica having no such option is far greater than the number of years it offered such option...

dave.gt

Hi Dave, I am struggling to see how allowing a la carte makes a Leica camera more of a photographic instrument, or even that it would be so important?

Leica has always been high priced, and it has only allowed a la carte in these few years, so the number of years of Leica having no such option is far greater than the number of years it offered such option...
Hi, good to hear from you.:)

I can't speak for anyone else but me. In 2008, I began my Leica experiences with an M3 and later, an M6. I was mesmerized by the beautiful and high quality instrunrnts.instruments for many reasons. A black paint MP became my quest, however, the prices were just out of reach and I set my goal to eventually obtain it through the "a large carte" option. It was amazing to me that a camera company would have that option and it appealed to me on many levels, all personal since I would have it for the rest of my life.:)

Then, life changed. I never got that MP and I settled on a variety of other used Leica cameras but the MP was still out of reach. I have no problem with whatever prices are... if I wanted a Harley, I found a way over time to get that Harley, a pre-owned one after saving up for a long time and sacrificing other things in life. The Harley was part of my life for 17 years and I only sold it to start a long-term Pro Bono project at the hospital. The point is, one weighs decisions in life. And one acts upon those results based on personal factors.

However, I am one of few who does not trade-in/upgrade or buy things very often and I tend to keep what we use for a very long time. Sort of "anti-consumerist", perhaps but it is just me. What bothers me is using anything that is the same as everything everyone has so I make things more personally tailored to my use and aesthetic enjoyment.

Cameras, for me, should be both functional and simple, while being exquisite in design and, yes, I enjoy the history behind products and the people behind them. Making a camera more personal was a revelation to me. And, I am still unable so far, to do that and it appears that it will not happen with Leica since they have discontinued a great program. One that fits me.

Again, prices... whatever.... But at least in this world, if someone is willing to work hard and sacrifice, a lot of things are possible. In this case, sadly, it didn't work out. And there is no other option.

A new Leica has zero appeal because the prices are, of course, too high for me, and every single one is identical to the one everybody else has, so that part of ownership and personal enjoyment is gone for me. And a few others, I am sure.

At least I can personalize a Martin guitar. That is another example of the owner interface with the product and the manufacturer. Passion and fun! Caveat: a personalized custom Martin guitar is much more expensive than an a la carte Leica.:bugeyes: