The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M Re-design Option

JohnBrew

Leica are quite good at figuring out new ways to make money. I noticed that if you don’t like their quote they will still charge you $50 for their trouble :wtf:.

dave.gt

Ah, yes, hahaha!

Can't blame them, they will likely have a flood of would-be configurator users.., it will certainly cut down on the wasted man hours of dealing with customers are just window shopping. To me, it is smart business, although I would prefer a configurator of some type.

Here is the confirmation from Leica:

"You are able to purchase a new MP with your redesign options. This is also available to customers who already have the Leica MP."

I, too, was curious and daydreaming about a film MP.:)

This is great news!:thumbs:

B L

Leica are quite good at figuring out new ways to make money. I noticed that if you don’t like their quote they will still charge you $50 for their trouble :wtf:.
John,
If I say that the second sentence in your post is a question, then I think the answer is in the first sentence. :)

dave.gt

Dang, the more I look at it, the M9 and/or M240 look better and better.:grin: A change in skin, custom engraving, etc.? :banghead:

airfrogusmc

Dang, the more I look at it, the M9 and/or M240 look better and better.:grin: A change in skin, custom engraving, etc.? :banghead:
If you can swing an M 10 I would highly recommend that. I have an M 262 (stripped down 240) and the M 10 is better in low light and is a lot more responsive.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
That is a repair estimate form. If you send in a broken camera, they have to do real work to assess the damage. It's possible that that applies to the custom leather service, but it's not as if they made up that clause just for this program.

And when I sent in a very broken S(006) - dropped from head height to a concrete floor - they gave me a *very* good upgrade option. I have no complaints with Leica Repair.

Matt

Last edited:

dave.gt

Well, it has been a tough day but I have been thinking about the whole re-design/a la carte thing. I agree with John that it seems a bit much to charge $50 if you don't like the estimate and decide not to go for a re-design. Then, with it being handled as a repair, and more than just a few select M models including digital Ms, well it would maybe be a bit much for a configurator to include everything... so now it is handled in a repair form. I suspect each camera would need to be evaluated since they are working with owners' current cameras that may be in need of extra care and work.

Not really sure if I like the $50 charge or not, but who pays for the handling, inspection time and shipping/insurance back to the owner?

Maybe it really is the best way to offer personalized M cameras?:)

It would be nice to hear from those who have taken advantage of this program!