The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica store Boston and no S

msadat

I visited the store couple of days ago and they had no Leica S or any S lenses on display! When I asked, the answer was at some point when the next camera comes out when it comes out, we will have a display. Translation they don’t sell any Leica S, I wonder if any place sells new Leica S

Meanwhile Leica charges 300usd to fix af motors, which is their failure

msadat

I just checked B&H and out of the 16 S lenses they list, only two is in stock; the rest special order!!

meanwhile, fuji, Hasselblad and phase one have rolled out multiple new cameras!

by the way if you are of the lucky S owners, you need to pay 300 to fix leica's mistake on the AF motor

Paratom

I just checked B&H and out of the 16 S lenses they list, only two is in stock; the rest special order!!

meanwhile, fuji, Hasselblad and phase one have rolled out multiple new cameras!

by the way if you are of the lucky S owners, you need to pay 300 to fix leica's mistake on the AF motor
How many lenses do Fuji offer or how many lenses are available for the xcd vs the 16 lenses offered for the s-system?
I own both a x1d (because of smaller size) and S system and still frustrated that even the x1dII takes much much longer to start up and has a much longer blackout than the S2 had when it appeared over 10 years ago.
Do I wish Leica was communicate more often and update the S-system faster? Yes.
But I also believe the S system and specially the lenses are a great system which does not have to hide vs the new mirrorless offerings from Fuji and Hassy (except price). Newer doesnt always mean better.

msadat

the point was leica is not marketing or selling and people are not buying it. so what happens with products that people dont buy

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Why do you care? I have an S and 7 lenses and they work just as beautifully no matter how many lenses Fuji releases. Small companies can die. Large companies can shutter their camera divisions. Life is uncertain. B&H is often out of Novoflex tripods or H&Y filters. So what?

Doppler9000

Why do you care? I have an S and 7 lenses and they work just as beautifully no matter how many lenses Fuji releases. Small companies can die. Large companies can shutter their camera divisions. Life is uncertain. B&H is often out of Novoflex tripods or H&Y filters. So what?
That an orphaned line is likely to receive less support, fewer firmware upgrades, no new glass, etc, might be a few obvious sources of concern.

Even the most diehard of Leica fans would surely prefer that their system wasn’t ashcanned.

msadat

i have an S system and no sale means no support, no new cameras, no new lenses and no spare parts to fix broken stuff
i care because a have a sizable investment in S.

Paratom

I rather have a camera without Software Bugs and no further firmware upgrades tha a camera which gets firmware upgrades more often but still has bugs.

I also care and hope that the S system will survive. At the same time I believe "S-bashing" doesnt help to make the system survive.

How often do we want to repeat, that the original AF-motors can die because the AF has been speeded up in software?
IMO it is a fair compromise that Leica repairs for free if the lens is not older than 5 years.

We can complain that Leica does not tell us future plans about more S lenses, or we can talk about the most complete small medium format lens line up which is offered by Leica.

If you read forums today one gets a totally wrong impression about the s-system. IMO it is still one of the fastest and nicest to use medium format cameras, and the lenses are among the best as well.

I also wish Leica would give us a better idea about the future S-System, and I dont understand why they do such a bad (IMO) marketing and customer relationship management.

But lets face it, the S is still a damn beautiful camera with excellent lenses. Of course if 36 MP is not enough than one has a problem.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The current state of affairs should not be news to any Leica S owner or for that matter any potential buyer that does their homework . It is surely frustrating to buy into a system that has been crushed by the new Fuji and HB offerings . In 2009 when the S2 was introduced ...it was by far the very best MF system available .

it was plagued by two serious component failures (1) the corrosion of the CCD sensors in the S2 and S 006 and (2) the AF gear that stripped . Both of these have been bitched about now for years . Leica did a decent job IMHO of cleaning up these issues for a while but now you are out of luck . Buyer beware ..know what the history of your camera is .

The S 007 will not sell new for $20K in this market nor will buyers be lining up to obtain new S lenses at $6-10K each . So for any dealer the S line is obsolete inventory at new prices .

The S3 was in field test in January and still not available ? Its not firmware ! My guess is that they simply can t make the camera and sell it for a profit at $15K and above that it will not sell . Personally I expect either an over priced S3 ..as the last S camera ....or that Leica will let the S line die .

Its still a really great system and for many applications(not all) as good as it gets .

MGrayson

i have an S system and no sale means no support, no new cameras, no new lenses and no spare parts to fix broken stuff
i care because a have a sizable investment in S.
Every day you keep a system, you're saying "It's worth it to me at its current market value." If it weren't, you'd sell it and find something that *was* worth it. What you paid is irrelevant. It's gone. Nothing you can do can change it. The worst trading decision is "I have to keep this asset because I paid more for it when I bought it." Every day you keep it, you're buying it again at its current price.

It's a simple decision. You're making it whether you're aware of it or not.

Paratom

I have checked out Fuji for 1 week, and I have checked out x1d for a couple of months (still own it).
The Fuji offers a good price and the new body 100MP, but I felt no connection to user interface and lens rendering.
The x1d is great in regards of size of body and lenses.
The S is still my favorite.
I still hope Leica get the S3 right, but the long delay is not a good sign.
I dont need more MP though, so for my needs the S007/006 are fine.

MGrayson

I have checked out Fuji for 1 week, and I have checked out x1d for a couple of months (still own it).
The Fuji offers a good price and the new body 100MP, but I felt no connection to user interface and lens rendering.
The x1d is great in regards of size of body and lenses.
The S is still my favorite.
I still hope Leica get the S3 right, but the long delay is not a good sign.
I dont need more MP though, so for my needs the S007/006 are fine.
I have no idea whether we'll see the S3 or not, but the delay doesn't worry me. The system needed some work, and the SL2 took first priority. I'm not aware of other high-end products in the pipeline, so I have hopes for the S3.

I'm completely with you on the competition. The Fujis just don't appeal to me. Unfortunate, really, as they're such bang for the buck. But then I never liked the A7xx either. I'll keep the X1D for its long exposures and light weight. But the S is my favorite by far.

Matt

msadat

i started this thread cause i like S and i am worried it might be sent to pasture; when their own store does not have any S system on display is worrisome, when the biggest photo retailer does not have lenses in stock is worrisome, when ....

Paratom

i started this thread cause i like S and i am worried it might be sent to pasture; when their own store does not have any S system on display is worrisome, when the biggest photo retailer does not have lenses in stock is worrisome, when ....
Yes, I agree, and Leica should improve their information policy what to expect.

MGrayson

Yes, I agree, and Leica should improve their information policy what to expect.
They can't, because they don't know. The S3 had a problem. If they haven't solved the issue, then what should they say? Hold on, we're working on it? They'd love to tell you when it will be fixed.

You know the saying on software delivery: Take the estimate, multiply by three, add one, and convert to the next higher units. Two weeks means seven months.

From both first hand knowledge and some reading between the lines, I can say this much. Leica only considered the S3 because of market pressure. They, and most of their professional client base, thought that the 007 was perfect (except for tethering, which sucks). But the wealthy amateur crowd, of which I am a member, feels insecure without a lot of MP, so management shrugs and produces the 64MP version. But their heart's not in it.

Leica is like Apple in that they don't care so much what their competitors do. They make the camera as they think best. I admire that in both those companies, although it is fashionable to despise them.

Best,

Matt

dave.gt

one leica S 007 in stock
one leic 100mm in stock
five leica 35mm 2.8 in stock

a whole lot, pls do check in another month to see if its a sell out![/QUOTE

May I suggest you contact Leica with your concerns? Have you actually expressed your angst and problems with a cache of lenses needing to be repaired? Have you contacted them to discuss your desire for the product to continue?

Perhaps that would be your best strategy rather than a thread in a forum among those who can be of no help to you. I submit to you the idea that trading negative comments is not helpful. If you took my response as a jab, I apologize, I should have explained it better with lots of emoji smiley faces.:):):):):):)

But, I am busy with more important medical and life/death matters, so please excuse my lack of sensitivity. I am simply exhausted from the chaos and negativity all around. I have had enough of that.

I wish you well in the future and hope for a satisfying outcome to your dilemma.

msadat

matt, i dont know about leica but apple sure watches and competes with other phone makers and are very aggressive in rolling out feature to match or better the competition.

They can't, because they don't know. The S3 had a problem. If they haven't solved the issue, then what should they say? Hold on, we're working on it? They'd love to tell you when it will be fixed.

You know the saying on software delivery: Take the estimate, multiply by three, add one, and convert to the next higher units. Two weeks means seven months.

From both first hand knowledge and some reading between the lines, I can say this much. Leica only considered the S3 because of market pressure. They, and most of their professional client base, thought that the 007 was perfect (except for tethering, which sucks). But the wealthy amateur crowd, of which I am a member, feels insecure without a lot of MP, so management shrugs and produces the 64MP version. But their heart's not in it.

Leica is like Apple in that they don't care so much what their competitors do. They make the camera as they think best. I admire that in both those companies, although it is fashionable to despise them.

Best,

Matt

msadat

dave my angst comes from the fact that i paid 1200 to fix for leica and i need to spend another 5~6k to fix the rest and believe me i am going through all the channels i know to make sure my voice is being heard, thank you for your concern

one leica S 007 in stock
one leic 100mm in stock
five leica 35mm 2.8 in stock

a whole lot, pls do check in another month to see if its a sell out![/QUOTE

May I suggest you contact Leica with your concerns? Have you actually expressed your angst and problems with a cache of lenses needing to be repaired? Have you contacted them to discuss your desire for the product to continue?

Perhaps that would be your best strategy rather than a thread in a forum among those who can be of no help to you. I submit to you the idea that trading negative comments is not helpful. If you took my response as a jab, I apologize, I should have explained it better with lots of emoji smiley faces.:):):):):):)

But, I am busy with more important medical and life/death matters, so please excuse my lack of sensitivity. I am simply exhausted from the chaos and negativity all around. I have had enough of that.

I wish you well in the future and hope for a satisfying outcome to your dilemma.

Last edited: